Football Programmes Centre

Why do People Leave Early?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why do People Leave Early?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 pm 
Post subject: Why do People Leave Early?

Just a quick one, does anyone on here ever leave the match early.

Seriously, I just don't get it, I see it time and time again, people leaving early, 1 down with 10 minutes to go and they're off. Why? Given the modern era, with stoppage time that could equate to an extra 17 minutes. A lot can happen.

No doubt some of those Hibs fans on saturday headed for the exits when Falkirk went 3-0 up in the first half, but why? How many City fans missed the finale to last season, but are always going to claim that they were there when Aguero scored?

For the record, I've only left early once. If anyone has ever sat in the Upper Findus stand at Blundell Park in just a string vest , you'll know why Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm 
Post subject:

I'll sometimes leave a minute or so early if we're 5 or 6 up, so I can beat the traffic. If it's touch and go, never. Haven't sat in the Findus in a string vest, but the weather girl on the BBC Breakfast News the other day did say, and quote, "it'll be blowy around the Trossachs today"
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

Don't get to many games these days but I have never left a match early, no matter how bad.

I was nearly thrown out early once........................... Laughing
hibernian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm 
Post subject:

Well at the Hibs semi final on Saturday I was sorely tempted to leave at half time, (3 from our group of 18 did ). Hundreds more left earlier (after 30 minutes) when Falkirk scored their third goal.
Ironically the guys who left said that the pubs round Hampden were bouncing during the second half and it was one of the best sing songs for many a year.
Clap
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject: Re: Why do People Leave Early?

sharrowblade wrote:
No doubt some of those Hibs fans on saturday headed for the exits when Falkirk went 3-0 up in the first half, but why?

....and no doubt they'll be first in the queue wanting Final tickets No
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Why do people leave early.

My Hibee mate phoned at half time calling them all the useless b....,,, under the sun, I says to him all they needed was an early goal and you never know, the rest is history. After the game he phones me and says this is the hibees year, a didnt know wheather to laugh or cry. My god The Hibs winning the BIG cup, what would us Jambos sing about then, but I have to say they deserve to be in the final having beaten Hearts, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and coming back from 3 down in the semi final. Whatever will be will be. HAPPINESS IS BEING A JAMBO.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

I've been the last spectator to leave once or twice (well, someone has to be!)
paulo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

Until this week I think I have almost never left a game early, but at Arsenal on Saturday I was right next to the home fans and could not take anymore when the third went in, so I beat the queues and headed out a couple of mins before the end. I then went to the U18's FA Cup semi at Carrow Road on Tuesday, but sadly I had to go before the extra time started as I had to be up for work at some ungodly hour the next day!
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

When I worked the turnstiles at Oxford United I would sometimes leave at half time. Of course I did not pay to get in, it has to be one of the coldest grounds in the country, having only three sides.
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

Stood at the Shay once with a mate, Swindon Town went 0-3 up with less than 20 mins to play and he said that's enough, I'm off. Get My Coat He drove home Driving and turned the telly on Halifax Town 4 Swindon Town 3, Shocked he didn't do it again, tho he was sorely tempted a time or two.
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Always felt it must have been a dilemma for those who like to leave early when the 'golden goal' rule was introduced............... Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

The access at Ibrox is terrible and the coppers on traffic control are as much use as tits on a bull. I never leave early no matter how badly things are going but I often see people at the bus stop who have left with ten minutes to go.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

no i never leave early. Have seen far too many game changing goals in last few minute so always stay to end. I don't understand why people do it especially the game is still close.

At league cup away to Reading in league cup we were 4-1 down at half time. A couple of lads next to us left at half time as did a handful of others with 10-15 mins to go when we still 4-1 down. They must have been sick as the old parrot when they saw the final score of 7-5 to us.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
The access at Ibrox is terrible and the coppers on traffic control are as much use as tits on a bull. I never leave early no matter how badly things are going but I often see people at the bus stop who have left with ten minutes to go.

When I was at Ibrox in August (in that wee corner with the East Stirling fans) I noticed, to my right, a lot of Gers fans leaving with 10/15 minutes to go. OK, the game was won, but I just thought it a bit disrespectful to their own team that they pissed off so soon!

Not me - I was hoping we might sneak another consolation goal Smile
Superajm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 am 
Post subject:

MATT RUSH wrote:
Stood at the Shay once with a mate, Swindon Town went 0-3 up with less than 20 mins to play and he said that's enough, I'm off. Get My Coat He drove home Driving and turned the telly on Halifax Town 4 Swindon Town 3, Shocked he didn't do it again, tho he was sorely tempted a time or two.

3 years ago posh played Cardiff and we were awful first half, 4-0 down. I know many posh fans left that day at half time

Yes, you guessed, we came back to draw 4-4

I've never left a match early and we've been on the end of quite a few hammerings over the years

We score quite a few and concede a lot, especially in the last 4 years. Not uncommon to have 5-4's and 4-3's at London road. We went to Blackburn a few weeks ago and were 3-0 up after 25 minutes and they were leaving in thir droves. I still thought we needed another gol to be safe! We on that one 3-2

Roller coaster watching posh these days
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Eck wrote:

When I was at Ibrox in August (in that wee corner with the East Stirling fans) I noticed, to my right, a lot of Gers fans leaving with 10/15 minutes to go. OK, the game was won, but I just thought it a bit disrespectful to their own team that they pissed off so soon!

Not me - I was hoping we might sneak another consolation goal Smile

It happens all the time,bloody annoying. there's a new breed of Rangers supporters over the last 10 years or so that do nothing but moan and shout at the players. It doesn't help when things aren't going well.
pnefan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 am 
Post subject:

Skelmersdale Utd- 2011 was asked to leave by some over zealous arrogant know it all .

Bury this season - missed their goal never heard their celebration - were't enough of em left in the ground . The ones left in were more excited by the size of the PNE following .

Most of the Bury fans left 20 mins before the end !

Had to pick the Mrs up from the town centre and didn't want to get stuck in traffic - as it ws she was late meeting me - never again . Nod
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 am 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:

It happens all the time,bloody annoying. there's a new breed of Rangers supporters over the last 10 years or so that do nothing but moan and shout at the players. It doesn't help when things aren't going well.

Don't know they're born, eh?

All 37 travelling East Stirling fans stayed till the end at Forthbank despite Stirling Albion edging the game 9-1 last month Smile
Mind you, some were so shellshocked they could't budge from their seats....

That's what concerns me about fans from clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc........they've never really known the bad times. The relegation battles. The despair!

Really rather glad neither of my favoured clubs are in that bracket - makes the success (as and when it arrives) all the more special Smile
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 am 
Post subject:

My brother is a Pompey fan and lives in Havant. He says the problem with Rangers fans is that success has spoiled them and at Pompey when they were in the second division for about 200 years there was always a great atmosphere no matter what was happening on the pitch.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 am 
Post subject:

There is (or, at least, used to be) colour footage on YouTube of 1 or 2 games at Fratton Park early 60s.

I probably saved them to disc but i recommend seeking them out as, yes, the atmos is evident.

Think one game is against Bristol City when John Atyeo was in their team.

Mate of mine who lives onthe Isle of Wight now was a regular attendee at Pompey in the late 60s - says Small Faces "Itchycoo Park" was a big favourite at half time over the tannoy!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: