Football Programmes Centre

Different Programme Covers for the same Match?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Different Programme Covers for the same Match?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm 
Post subject: Different Programme Covers for the same Match?

Does anyone else know of their club issuing two programmes for the same game and why?.
I never found out why for these two-anyone know out of idle curiosity?.

Here is one example:

http://flic.kr/p/dM5awD

Leslie Millman is manchesterunitedman1 Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nozer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 pm 
Post subject: Diffrent covers.

Strange one this Les, i never got to the bottom of this one myself ,i have two Barnsley v Peterborough progs from same season, progs are identical apart from front page ....please someone throw a light on this one.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 am 
Post subject:

73/4 Leicester v Derby has two different covers.
As, oddly enough, does 74/5 Leicester v Derby.

I did know why once upon a time but forgotten - something to do with the printer and strike action, I think.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:53 pm 
Post subject:

here are another two
http://flic.kr/p/69ePeT
and still more from Wales when they played a Western Command match also at Rhyl as well as cupties in the 1970's at Leicester below
http://flic.kr/p/7QJEtq
http://flic.kr/p/7QFm3K

I am off in a day or so on holiday so if anyone else wants to dive in and add any others re MU please feel free Wave Driving
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kcs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 pm 
Post subject:

There a couple of examples with Leeds issues, one certainly from the 1978-79 season versus Southampton.

Could it be as simple as they run out of that particular cover and moved onto the next one?

Leeds only used 4-5 covers in the 1978-79 season so perhaps this was the reason. Another reason, especially for the game at Rhyl could be the collector factor - e.g. some people will purchase both covers.

Huddersfield also did this against Leeds in recent years, they produced their normal white cover plus 2 additional colours (red and yellow)
Still non the wiser

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
speedykev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

Posh issued three different coloured single sheets (White, Pink, Blue) for our Football League Trophy game against Cambridge United at London Road during the 1987/88 season.

We have also played some friendlies/minor cup competitions that have had a couple of different coloured programme covers issued for the same game.
mark01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

Another one Barnsley v Bristol City 16 March 1963.

regards, Mark
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 pm 
Post subject:

Not a new phenomenon this one. In 1978-79 Wolves produced 2 programme with different covers and for the FA Cup tie with Newcastle there were three covers.
Also for the Gothenburg Tournament in 1972 involving Wolves and Everton there were three different covers and in all three issues the teams were wrongly labelled.
The prize here however, must go to Wrexham who issued two identical programmes for the Gareth Davies Testimonal game in Nov 1979 - one spelling his name on the front cover DAVIS and the other DAVIES. I'm not sure if the programme editor retained his job after that faux pas or not!
Spireitenag1955

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

Notts County issued two different coloured covers (blue & yellow) for the Anglo Scottish cup final 2nd leg v Chesterfield 1980/1.

Hereford United v Chesterfield 1974/5 issued with 4 different coloured covers (blue,green,orange,purple).

Chesterfield v Stoke City in the Auto Windscreen Shield 1999/00 issued with two different photo's on front cover.

Barnsley v Chesterfield 1962/3 (FAC) two different photo's.

Bradford City v Chesterfield 1982/3 two different coloured single sheets (blue,yellow).
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

Does this count in the where's there's one there's two game?

Leeds United v Manchester United 1946/47
A bastard of a programme to find at any time and just after i'd completed my collection i find out they have different coloured covers!!

I am aware that Derby County produced two programmes in the centenary year.
I believe it was a "Gold Edition" which was produced in very limited numbers for each league game.
Possibly 100 and possibly just for the directors the rumour goes.
Can our Derby County friends help in this one?
I do have a gold copy for Derby County v Manchester(in fact i have two) but i can't find them at the moment.

Finally cup finals have had differences over the years.OK

Very Happy Very Happy
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

I am off in a day or so on holiday so if anyone else wants to dive in and add any others re MU please feel free Wave Driving

Here's an old post on the same topic. Note Boro produced produced two different covers for each league game during 2008/9 hence two v Man Utd.

http://www.footballprogrammece.....mp;start=0
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
Post subject: double covers

I'm aware that the following Manchester United aways had 2 different covers:

Oldham 1974/75
Leicester 1975/76
Wolves 1977/78

And, of course, Middlesbrough unashamedly produced a season or twos worth of double covers and advertised the opposite cover in the respective programme (around 2008/9). I'm offering one v United on ebay right now (apologies for the blatent plug).

The 'special' Derby issues were classed as being millennium gold editions produced for the 1999/2000 season - they were a premium price and I don't think they shifted that many as you had to subscribe to them.

I suppose you could take this to extremes.......after all, if the cover of a programme had a lucky number on then would you need to get every programme?

Shocked
PABLO76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
Post subject:

I never had the Derby County "gold editions" down as anything close to rare.

I was offered a copy for around £100 a couple of years ago and laughed it off, having had one in my collection for ages which was purchased for £2 off Ebay.

Surely this isn't scarce, hard to obtain, or "limited to 100 copies", anybody??
kpswannie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

There are a number of Rangers away issues that have different covers for the same match .............

Eintract v Rangers 1959/60 European Cup semi , 4 different coloured covers

Berwick Rangers v Rangers 1967 Scottish cup , plain white cover and also a cover that has yellow and blue highlighting the teams

Hearts v Rangers 28/08/68 , Photo of player with ball at his feet and a photo of a player with the ball at his chest

East Fife v Rangers , Blue cover and a yellow cover (I think ,would have to double check)

Morton v Rangers 08/12/79 2 different covers

St Mirren v Rangers 28/03/81 3 different covers ,all photos are of a st Mirren v Aberdeen game at hampden

Clydebank v Rangers, 14/09/85 2 different covers , difficult to notice right away , Im sure the word Official programme is in lower case on one issue ( again would have to double check )

Lancaster City v Rangers 27/07/88 , Colour cover and a black and white cover

Im sure there are more !
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

I have seen Stevenage Town programmes from the late 1960's - when the club was struggling for money - in all sorts of colours. One programme I had four copies of at one point, all in different colours!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 am 
Post subject:

I did subscribe to that Millenium Gold edition of The Ram but, as far as I can remember, all that got me was a programme with a slightly different cover, a teamsheet for each match and a certificate signed by Jim Smith and Lionel Pickering stating that I had, indeed, subscibed.
Stephen Ion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 pm 
Post subject:

Wolves produced the following programmes in the FAC in 1978/79

Wolves v Newcastle United (Cover 1)
Wolves v Newcastle United (Cover 2)
Wolves v Newcastle United (Cover 3)

Wolves v Shrewsbury (Cover 1)
Wolves v Shrewsbury (Cover 2)

View them at http://wolvesprogrammes.weebly.com/1970s-fac.html

and also in the league in 1978/79

Wolves v Ipswich Town (Team pic on cover)
Wolves v Ipswich Town (J. Richards on cover)

Why this happened I don't know but my guess would be that because colour printing is expensive compared to spot colours in those days printers would often pre-print the colour covers for the whole season. The higher print numbers means that the cost is cheaper. They then overprint the match details in one colour (black) which can be done cheaper. My guess is at the start of the season they pre-printed 4 or 5 colour fronts and ran them throughout the season. For these games they either ran out of one and moved to the next or they just used different copies by error.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

I think I remember reading on this very forum about Burnley doing 'gold' ones for the odd game when they were in the Prem (3/4 years ago?)
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

Barnsley (recurring theme) v Everton FA Cup early 60s. Think Oldham and Boro have been known to do it as well. Everton did it once for the Pompey game (end of season) a special edition.
evertonstreetend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan wrote:
Barnsley (recurring theme) v Everton FA Cup early 60s. Think Oldham and Boro have been known to do it as well. Everton did it once for the Pompey game (end of season) a special edition.

What season is that Pompey game from, ToffeeDan?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: