Football Programmes Centre

Programme Spreadsheet - Version 1.3 Out Now (June 2011)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Spreadsheet - Version 1.3 Out Now (June 2011)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geddon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 pm 
Post subject: Programme Spreadsheet - Version 1.3 Out Now (June 2011)

Latest Version 1.3 Released on June 5th 2011 - Please see below for previous message.

Version 1.3 Released
New features:
- Added in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 tabs.

Download version 1.3 here

Dont forget its easy to import your data from your previous version into this new updated version!

Click here for some screenshots and instructions
Click here for some tips on entering your data

This version has been released by Craig
=============================================

Version 1.2 Released
It's taken a little while longer than I expected, but finally I've managed to get the latest version working properly.

New features:
- Home and away by team by season tabs. An easy way to keep track of which programmes you need for each team. Only for league games.
- A "got, but need to buy a replacement because my current copy has rusty staples/team changes etc." option. When entering your data, you can now choose this option for programmes by entering a semicolon. Programme will show up in all counters as "got" but on the individual season page it'll turn dark green, indicating that you need a replacement.
- Fixed some bugs that I missed last time around.
- Dates are now stored only in one column instead of three like last time.
- A few other things tidied up.

At the moment there is no Excel 2003 support for this version but again it's something I might do in future. Unfortunately due to the amount of conditional formatting used it's not just a simple matter of converting it straight away.

Download version 1.2 here

Thanks for reading and using the spreadsheet. As always any feedback is greatly appreciated, as I'm sure there are probably a few things that myself and Craig have missed. I will relase another version in a few weeks just correcting the errors (if there are any!).

=============================================

Original Post:

I've received many questions and queries recently regarding the spreadsheet that I created to keep track of my programmes. Instead of replying to all of these individually, and trying to alter the spreadsheet to suit individuals, I decided to come up with a universal spreadsheet that would be useable by everyone.

The spreadsheet is designed to keep a record of all programmes for a single club from the Second World War onwards (i.e. starting in the 1946-47 season). It is not perfect, and has some limitations, and plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is a few people who would like to use it, just to download it, use it to keep track of their programmes, and report back to me with any problems they have with it. Errors in the code, features you'd like to see added, whatever.

The spreadsheet is available to download now. If you have used a previous version, you should be able to copy and paste your data into the new one, but I make no guarentees that this will work without disrupting anything! In future versions a macro should enable you to do this quickly and without any fuss.

I've posted a short guide on how to use it on my website, but the guide does assume some basic familiarity with excel. Any questions feel free to ask me either here on via PM. I'll also be posting again below detailing information on the competitions that are available at the moment.

Obviously it's not feasable for me to input all of your teams fixtures - not only is it very time consuming, trying to find information regarding postponed games is hard enough for your own team, let alone others. Depending on interest, this may become a feature in future, although it would almost certainly carry a small charge.

VIEW THE GUIDE

Last edited by Geddon on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 9 times in total
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Mr T The guide looks excellent - shame the download link is broke
Geddon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

With regards to inputting your programme collection.

At the moment, the overview page can handle 23 league opponents a season. I don't know if that needs to be increased at all, but it is possible for the future. The overview page also shortens the team name, i.e. Tottenham Hotpsur become Tottenham H. I think that this should work for most league teams, however not all teams will be shortened at the moment. If you could let me know which teams are not, that would be a great help.

The competition field will accept any value at the moment, however only the following will be included in the totals (exact spellings):
League
FA Cup
League Cup
Full Members Cup
League Trophy
European Cup / Champions League
Cup Winners' Cup
Inter-City Fairs Cup (Until 1969-70) / UEFA Cup (All seasons) / Europa League (post 1970)
Anglo-Italian Cup
County Cup
Other Cup
Playoffs

If there are more competitions that you would like to be added, as obviously there will be, again just let me know below and they will be adde for future versions.
Geddon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

Craig wrote:

Mad

Oops - I forgot that it was a macro-enabled workbook and not a normal one. Fixed now!

Another note - this is for Excel 2007 only. I may create a 2003 version if there is sufficient demand.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

Geddon wrote:
Craig wrote:

Mad

Oops - I forgot that it was a macro-enabled workbook and not a normal one. Fixed now!

Another note - this is for Excel 2007 only. I may create a 2003 version if there is sufficient demand.

You hadnt... But i have now Smile

What the chances of an Open Office version Very Happy
Geddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 pm 
Post subject:

If you downloaded this yesterday, please re-download the new version. You can still import your data from the old version. Make sure when you do the import that the ONLY excel workbook you have open is the one you want to import into, otherwise it won't work.

Craig, I have no idea how to convert from XL to open office I'm afraid, so chances are pretty slim sorry!
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:14 pm 
Post subject:

And the password?

Every time I try it seems to tell me file conversion fails - maybe my software isn't up to date but I did go to MS to get an update so I am surprised.
Geddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

Dan, you shouldn't need the password for anything. It's just password protected so that people can't get in and change things, delete important cells or access the macros. You can use it perfectly fine without unprotecting the sheets - I'm using it like that and there seems to be no problem with it.

If you're using the version I made available for download a while ago, you need to convert from 1.0. If you're using the file I uploaded yesterday, you need to convert from 1.1. Have you tried that? (I really should have specified in the previous post, sorry!).
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

Geddon wrote:
Dan, you shouldn't need the password for anything. It's just password protected so that people can't get in and change things, delete important cells or access the macros. You can use it perfectly fine without unprotecting the sheets - I'm using it like that and there seems to be no problem with it.

If you're using the version I made available for download a while ago, you need to convert from 1.0. If you're using the file I uploaded yesterday, you need to convert from 1.1. Have you tried that? (I really should have specified in the previous post, sorry!).

Just doesn't want to open.. oh well. Thanks for the efforts - looks great
Geddon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

Dan,

Are you saying that when you try to load the spreadsheet after download that it's asking you for a password?
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Geddon wrote:
Dan,

Are you saying that when you try to load the spreadsheet after download that it's asking you for a password?

Well as you said it does come up and you can ignore it for the reasons you mentioned.

What is happening is that I get a message telling me that "The Converter File failed to open". I realise that some of us out there have newer (2007) Excel - and although this particular PC is around 4 years old I have (tried) to download newer software - must be some mystery .. maybe you need to disable the macros - or something like that!

Daniel
Olsey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 am 
Post subject:

Have downloaded this spreadsheet. It looks great and I can certainly see me using this to keep track of my collection.

A few things that might be better though.
* Other Programmes section - I and im sure other collectors also collect a programme from the games they attend these form a secondary collection for me that is seperate to my main one, I also have programmes that are of interest too me but again not from my main team. It might be good to have a section for these programmes within the spreadsheet. As I attend many different teams the home team tends never to be the same so maybe if it was set like this

Home Team | Away Team | Date | | Comp | Attended | Notes

* Friendlies - Could these be included within the season they occured I think it would make it easier to keep them together with the other programmes from that season.

How easy is it too add a new page to the sheet. I have 1 programme from before 1946-47 and would like too include this programme within the sheets
Geddon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Olsey,

Firstly thanks very much for downloading the spreadsheet and for taking the time to post your thoughts.

The spreadsheet is intended to keep track of programmes for one team from the 1946-47 season onwards. I suppose an other programmes section would be OK though and it's easy enough to implement. That'll probably be in the next version.

With regards to the friendlies, that's something that Craig has requested as well, and since I keep my friendlies in the season they were played, I have no idea why I decided to do them seperately really! It'll be in the next version, maybe with an option of displaying them in either of the two places... we'll see.

Adding new sheets is easily done (for me - it won't let you do it). I suppose another sheet with any programmes from earlier than 1946 on it would be a good idea though, you can just add the ones you've got then.

Thanks mate, some great ideas there.
ECFCJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

Liking this spreadsheet very much thanks Geddon!
But i have a question, on the friendlies page. I have put the . for saying i have it but its not recording it on the side?
any help?

Cheers

John
Geddon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:45 pm 
Post subject:

John,

Already been seen and fixed for the next version. Cheers for bringing it up though.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Geddon,

Instead of having a . to indicate you have a certain programme, would it not be easier to have tick boxes in there so people can just tick it off once they have obtained the programme?
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

Considering there isnt a "tick" on the keyboard i think the whole . and , thing is excellent and really simple to use.

The spreadsheet is amazing and must have taken hours Bow

Ayatollah
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Craig wrote:
Considering there isnt a "tick" on the keyboard i think the whole . and , thing is excellent and really simple to use.

The spreadsheet is amazing and must have taken hours Bow

Ayatollah

God, you two are amatuers! Laughing

You can implement a 'tick box' on excel. Then when you have the programme you click on the box and it ticks it for you. Wink

Other than that, best spreadsheet I have ever seen for programme collectors! Clap
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm 
Post subject:

We dont all work in insurance admin faffing around with Excel all day Smile
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

Some of us are experts in Access as well.

It's been a few years since I did anything formal in Excel and I don't have an up-to-date version..

Great job tho.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: