Football Programmes Centre

Most Difficult To Obtain & Rudest Signatory?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Most Difficult To Obtain & Rudest Signatory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albion99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm 
Post subject: Most Difficult To Obtain & Rudest Signatory?

My autograph's all come from a period 1960 to 1963 thereabouts.
Between the age of 12 and 15 we had access to some household names.
Some were absolute gentlemen, one in particular was extremely abusive and difficult to get to sign.
Many of us learnt to Foxtrot Oscar when asking him for his signature.
Some of my favorites,
Bert Trautmann, Matt Busby, Dennis Law, Alan Boswell, most of the Wolves players of that era.
Players in those days were accessible, today they seem remote, hope I'm wrong?
I was at Liverpool a few years ago and watched someone chase Pepe Raina's car down the road trying to get a shirt signed.
My all time favorite Matt Busby, he was never phased as we all stood and waited, he never left anyone out.
I have a lovely signed picture in I think an old Topical Times Football Book signed by Jimmy Murphy and Matt Busby, happy days.
Rudest, well he was eventually knighted for his services to football so perhaps it narrows the choice down.
Would over the years loved to have met him just to ask what the pleasure was from telling kids to FO.
Many would never believe it of him, although a few years back at a Chelsea game I was having lunch with some people before the match and one of the persons in the company told a not to dissimilar story and we had never met, and he was a few years younger than me which made me wonder where he had been told to FO.
Apart from the day some B-----d pinched one of my Buchan's Football books I loved autograph hunting, there were not many Saturdays we would not be at one of our local games, books and pens at the ready.
matt blue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

Dont collect as much as I use to, although my dad still does.

Nightmare to get signed :-

Mark Ward - ex west ham refused to sign anything in west ham colours after he left the club which is a pain as its the only photo thats not signed in a copy of topical times.

Craig Bellamy - unless its Cardiff or Wales he refuses point blank to sign and just walks past it - its ok for me as I only have city and wales things to get signed.

Best ever had to be John Charles RIP, A true gent that would stop talk and sign for ages.

When he signed for the city after his time in Italy dad had the gentle giant book that was released, over the season John signed every single photo that was in the book - even use to get my old man to sit in Johns alfa and sign the book when it was raining.

Thankfully it sits proudly in the collection of signed items.

Take a look at my work in progress !!
grantham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

I have a Grantham's who's who book which I get signed by as many players in the book as I can. To date it has around 120 signatures, not least John Barnwell, Gary Mills, John Robertson, Kenny Burns all decent blokes who took their time to sign and talk about their spells at the club.

No one has ever refused (although most have never been asked by anyone else before Smile)

A few I'd like to add still, including Martin O'Neill, it's not a book I always have with me and I've missed several players who I could/should have got, but overall I'm happy with it's progress
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 pm 
Post subject:

The knighted FO'er lived around the corner from my in-laws in his flash house with tennis courts... He wasn't a nice person at all.
nozer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm 
Post subject: Autographs.

I always found The Doog (Derek Dougan) Wolves 67 to 75 the most accomodating of signees no matter how many were after his autograph after a game at Molineux he always made sure he signed the very last one had seen him signing away for well over thirty mins after a game, the guy was an autograph hunters dream.

The rudest by far and i could just not understand his attitude was the former Manchester United player Bobby Charlton told me to FO several times when trying to obtain his signature, was a very unplesent Fu***R , pity that because he was one of my fav players this era.
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Not really interested in autographs unless on a match worn shirt. Nowadays you can't read a signature. Sign of the times, a uninterested scribble from a multi millionaire. I met Len Shackleton and Bobby Gurney once. Two of the greatest players ever to play for Sunderland. Gurney still all time top scorer. Never crossed my mind for one moment to ask for a autograph, it was just a honor and a privilege to chat to two fine gentlemen.
ps, i think Bobby Charlton looks a miserable sod. If i saw him in the street i'd just walk straight passed.
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.....2359172ce1
Interesting Laughing
albion99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 am 
Post subject:

I was unsure whether to mention anyone by name in relation to the FO incident I referred to, but others are spot on, he was the one!
We only ever approached him in the grounds of a hotel where United stopped for lunch and again dinner on the return journey whenever they played Midlands teams in the old First Division.
Manchester City also stopped there and there were the other occasional visitors.
What about this, I asked David Herd one evening for his autograph just before he was about to get on the coach.
It was a dark night with only the occasional light in the hotel grounds.
Not a problem he told me just give me a second, little did I realize he was having a pee against the wheel arch of their coach and my feet were getting progressively warmer, but he did sign.
Shay Brennan was another difficult signature to get but without the insult of our previously mentioned knight.
The most recent autograph I've tried to get, Peter Billington through his daughter Kim, failed miserably so far!
Isn't nostalgia great?
kcs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 am 
Post subject:

The best two examples for me were Dom Matteo and Alan Smith, both would sign until every supporter (especially children) had a signature. David Batty would often just walk straight to the car.
Saw the infamous FO'er at Elland Road once and he blanked everyone there!!

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
nozer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 am 
Post subject: Autographs.

My wife parked up next to Steve Gerrard while out shoping a few weeks ago in our local village ,and she got into a conversation with him re his BMW, before she moved on she asked for his autograph he asked her if she would mind waiting a few moments while he went into his car, he then brought out several A4 colour photos that he duly signed , wife said it was no trouble to him at all.

Steve G a true supper star.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am 
Post subject:

Agree with KCS. Alan Smith far and away the best since Paul Reaney, brilliant with my (then young) son on a few occasions. Mick Jones not great, maybe we got him on a bad day or his arm was still recovering!
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 am 
Post subject:

Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton..

I saw Geoff Hurst in Cheltenham (where he lives) I asked him to sign a bit of card. He said he can only sign at organised events
I replied i only wanted it because you played a few games for The Albion, and not because you were lucky enough to play in the World Cup Final because Jimmy Greaves was injured.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Not really interested in autographs unless on a match worn shirt. Nowadays you can't read a signature. Sign of the times, a uninterested scribble from a multi millionaire.

Like this one I've got?

Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

I think it was Gordan Banks who said he refused to sign anything, apart from on offical events , where he would be paid, as he knew many people were just dealers, and the items he signed would appear on eBay soon after. He didn't want to become a cash cow for these people.
You can understand his argument, especially if someone stuffs 10 World Cup programmes under his nose. But he must be able to tell the difference between these types and the bloke in the street who spots him and asks to sign a card, like Bazza did.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton..

I saw Geoff Hurst in Cheltenham (where he lives) I asked him to sign a bit of card. He said he can only sign at organised events
I replied i only wanted it because you played a few games for The Albion, and not because you were lucky enough to play in the World Cup Final because Jimmy Greaves was injured.

^^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing ^^^

Spot on pal!
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
Post subject:

Could have sworn you meant Matthews - he was an awkward, miserable sod tho.
germs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 pm 
Post subject: Autographs

I tried a few years ago to get some signatures for a colleagues retirement present. The story of Bob Latchford 30 goal's in season 77-78.
I contacted Martin Dobson who put me in touch with Gordon Lee and George telfer,i also contacted George Wood Trevor Ross jimmy Pearson Mark higgins Duncan mckenzie Mike pejic and Ronnie Goodlass all these lad's were first class and i was kind of humbled being in their presence. After all the effort i put in it was a wrench to part with the book .So if you are the one who bought it on e-bay when he sold up and moved to Portugal i would be very intersted to buy.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: Autographs.

nozer wrote:
My wife parked up next to Steve Gerrard while out shoping a few weeks ago in our local village ,and she got into a conversation with him re his BMW, before she moved on she asked for his autograph he asked her if she would mind waiting a few moments while he went into his car, he then brought out several A4 colour photos that he duly signed , wife said it was no trouble to him at all.

Did he nick her car or purse? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nozer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 pm 

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
nozer wrote:

No , and he never told here to F*** Off either , was a true gentelman .
albion99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:10 pm 
Post subject: Our Soccer Knight

I'm fascinated that no one has so far jumped to defend him, it begs the question is he still the same if asked for his autograph?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 pm 

nozer wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
nozer wrote:

No , and he never told here to F*** Off either , was a true gentelman .

Like he usually does u mean Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: