Football Programmes Centre

Goals and Wickets - New website
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Goals and Wickets - New website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

London Lilywhite wrote:
Great read, keep em' coming!

Many thanks, London Lilywhite.

One of the school friends mentioned in the post responded with some wonderful memories (I've summarised / edited it);

'My God that brought back some memories, particularly the Arsenal v Swindon League cup final which I went to with my mother’s family who all came down from Swindon.

Also the Arsenal v Leeds final which I missed when I was in hospital but our neighbour, Jack Kelsey, got the programme signed by both teams for me. Jack was the Arsenal goalie who smoked during the game and left his cigarette by the goal post.

Up to a few years ago Peter Storey was working as a labourer at a local roofing company. How things have changed!'

The images of Jack Kelsey nipping across his goal for a puff of a Woodbine and Peter Storey humping a wheel barrow around are marvellous.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Just put on another brief guide article, this time about the 1950's annual, The Big Book of Football Champions.

I have stated in the post that I am a bit thin on information about LTA Robinson Ltd who are listed as the printers of the books although from one link I found, they appear to have been a publishing company.

I thought this was a bit odd. I would have thought that it would state that the books had been 'published' by them and not just printed by them.

If anyone can enlighten me on the company I would be most grateful. I will update the post with any new information and give a credit to whoever helps.

Thanks to anyone / everyone who has a look;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......ns-annual/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm 
Post subject:

Just put a few new posts on the Facebook page of Goals and Wickets.

These have been inspired by my research for my next brief guide article on the site which will be on Goal magazine (writing it now after ploughing through all 296 editions, so watch this space).

First, from the 'Meet The Girl Behind The Man' series, a nice picture of QPR's Mick Leach who my writer friend Phil Stevens grew up with in East London.

Mick died young at 44 and everyone who knew him talks about him in such glowing terms.

Then from the same series, a picture of Ken Beamish in a superb 1970's tank top, almost outdone by one worn by Kevin Hector on the front of a League Football magazine where he shows off Derby's 1971/72 1st Division title trophy.

I bet Pete will have many such pictures in his Picture Palace?;

https://www.facebook.com/goalsandwickets?ref=hl

PS Also, a nice aerial shot of Elm Park
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

Struggling for tank-tops but do have some nice 70's shirts and jackets, not many on my website but a few in my prized Palace collection.

Here's Brian Kidd with Bertie Mee

Paddy Mulligan on the League Liner after an away game

Don Rogers at Heathrow

Malcolm Allison, May 1973, on the dancefloor at the Playboy club, leggy lady and press snapper not far away as usual

And finally, Vince Hilaire, on the bench

As I said, not quite tank-tops, but almost as good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 am 
Post subject:

Vince Hilaire - Classic Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 am 
Post subject:

That's an amazing shot of Vince Hilaire, Pete - brilliant.

The rest are great too.

Thanks Thumbs Up
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am 
Post subject:

Met former Hammer Jack Burkett at Stacey's last week.

A post about it on the site;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......l-auction/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am 
Post subject:

A few post Dyke thoughts on youth football with a couple of references taken from Charles Buchan's Soccer Gift Books;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/greg-dyke/

PS Pete, just sent you a PM.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am 
Post subject:

Depressing feedback just now on Talksport from former Gunner Perry Groves after watching Under 9's football last weekend - coaches and parents bombarding the kids with instructions creating a pressurised environment strangling free expression and disabling the kids' ability to make decisions for themselves.

Sounds like exactly the reverse of what I am talking about in the website article in the post above about youth football.

To Coaches and Parents, I'd say again; LEAVE THEM ALONE. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if they make loads of mistakes. This is how they develop. This is how they learn. They need to have fun and be allowed to play.

If we stop kids from doing this, we are not only strangling their development but slowly but surely we will stamp out the flame of interest which started them playing in the first place.

In junior tennis, despite all its' faults, you aren't allowed to coach players when matches are in progress. Maybe junior football should apply the same rule?

Here's the website article again;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/footba ... greg-dyke/
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:07 am 
Post subject:

About 20 years ago I went for a walk with my other half round our local park where about 4 or 5 junior games were going on.

We stood & watched one game scarcely believing our eyes. They were Under 11. Some parents were on the pitch, they were screaming at their kids. Every decision by the ref was contested, effing and blinding from the parents was commonplace. The linesman (presumably another parent) was jostled and argued with head-on. It was a total disgrace.

One one occasion, the team defending won the ball and one parent bellowed "Don't give it to Duncan, he never ran back". Duncan was on his own on the half way line, onside, unmarked.

On another occasion, one parent yelled "Leather it!" when his kid had the ball outside his own penalty area.

These are the printable examples.

Anyway, I was incensed by this so I wrote a letter to the local paper. I had a couple of letters back and two phone calls, all bar one from irate parents - "How dare you!" "You don't know what you're talking about" was the general tone (expletives deleted).

But I had one call from the coach of one junior side, Chipstead Colts, who invited me along to the next matches at their club. I went and it was a totally different environment but the games went on with parents behind ropes and instructed to tone down the verbals. It was a pleasure to watch.

This was about 1993. I wonder how many of those Under 11's made it to Under 16 or even Under 13.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:20 am 
Post subject:

Fascinating, if a bit depressing, Pete.

But as shown by the Chipstead side, it doesn't have to be all bad.

My concern from what Perry Groves was saying was that it was the coaches as much as the parents who were coaching while the play was in progress.

Even at my ripe age, when playing tennis at a Tennis Fantasy Camp with the great Roy Emerson as my team captain, I found it irritating in the extreme when Emmo started telling me what to do while the rally was going on.

Whatever the situation and whoever the coach is, there is a basic reality that we can't do two things at once; concentrate and contribute to the play we are involved in and receive and process instruction on what we should be doing.

As a mate of mine says, 'Do your work and stand back'. The coaching is done before the match (and a bit at half time) but while the match is in progress, the players have to be left alone to get on with it otherwise they will not develop - they will never have a chance to implement for real what they have been working on in practice.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:23 pm 
Post subject:

Coaches and Parents have different objectives.
As a coach your primary role is to provide the lads with a enjoyable and safe enviroment in which to play football and therefore develop as footballers. As a parent, your primary role is to support your child. Unfortunately, this can be forgotten all too easily, because winning becomes more important to many (coaches, and parents) even at that age.

A couple of years ago, whilst watching my eldest, one of the parents took exception when two of the lads attempted to play it out from the back, and one was dispossessed and the opposing team scored. He shouted out 'Boys, what we doing trying to play football?'. That always stayed with me. Sad

There is nothing wrong with wanting to win, but its essential to achieve that aim the right way by developing players without bias, favouritism, and bullying from coaches and parents.

Likewise, its also important that all parties concerned know how to accept defeat. Sadly, some coaches and parents just cannot do this. Last season, we played a team who'd never been beaten in 2 years, and we soundly thrashed them. The opposing coaches were brilliant, unfortunately, some parents and even some youngsters weren't. Confused

However, its not just football that has this affliction, other sports suffer from it too and arguably put more pressure on their offspring. Have you ever been to witness a Junior school cross country event. Some of them are rabid, and that's being kind. Last year, at one event I saw a mother screaming at her daughter mid race 'you're embarrassing me, whats wrong with you, you're bloody useless'. I'm no expert, but on a freezing saturday morning ankle deep in snow and mud, it was clear that she was suffering breathing problems. Fortunately, another parent stepped in 100 yards further up, and stopped her, it was clear that the girl with tears streaming down her face was in distress. Sadly, this wasn't an isolated incident. The term 'keen' doesn't come close to describe some of the wanna be olympic coaches.

In fairness, football always gets a bad press when it comes to the Junior Game. More people play it than any other sport. Its easy to criticize incidents that happen every weekend and yes it shouldn't happen. But, its worth remembering that there are thousands of coaches, parents, grandparents who give their time, to come and support and give help, for the benefit of the young un's, every weekend, in thousands of games all over the country and nothing is ever said about that.

Its never going to perfect sadly, but its a lot better now than it was when I was playing Junior football in the late 1970s.

Regards, Sharrowblade, Parent and Coach.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent post and thanks, Sharrowblade.

Of course, what we see in junior football is to be seen in other sports.

I was a full time tennis coach for 14 years only working with juniors and I saw many events that I would term borderline, if not actual abuse from parents (and a few from coaches too).

And absolutely, the fact that thousands of parents / families are out there facilitating / supporting their kids is not in debate.

But I think while praising and encouraging that commitment, we must nonetheless, not refrain from emphasising the bad and in many ways, use it as a way to get back to reinforcing the basics of how to do it.

If we can create almost a progression between the two with a strategy of praise and encouragement for those doing it right with education / counselling for those whose knowledge / egos or both mean that they aren't.

I was never quite sure how I influenced parents one way or the other but there were a few occasions where very difficult parents came back to me and said that they had adjusted their thinking and their approach as a result of things I'd said to them.

But this is / was not easy, either for me in facing a difficult parent or for them in detaching themselves from their current position and making a change.

And on a personal basis with each kid and each parent, the situation is unique and very personal. But although there are exceptions to any rule, most kids want a positive environment where they are encouraged and allowed to enjoy the experience. Cranking up the pressure makes the fundamental mistake of assuming that a kid isn't going to be trying their hardest regardless.

In fact, most examples of kids not trying or starting to tighten up is as a direct result of some degree of over bearing involvement for coaches and / or parents.

It's a fine line for us adults to organise it and structure it but not destroy it at the same time.

The VAST majority of the parents of all those kids I coached across 14 years were terrific but I know that they left me and my staff to it, because they trusted us.

On this basis, Coaches must lead the process but Coaches need to know their stuff as far as kids, child development and the management of challenge/ pressure, skill development expectations, streaming pathways, how to handle competition etc etc and I know plenty of them who don't sadly.

To get an official qualification in many sports now while requiring some degree of commitment in terms of time and money is hardly difficult and hey presto, even under the supervision of more experienced coaches, you are interacting and influencing the sports experience of young people.

I actually wrote an 80,000 word book on what I did in my time in junior tennis, largely because people kept telling me to and much of the child rapport content in there was stuff I found / researched in youth sports books, many published in the US; I didn't get them from any LTA course.

In fact, on reflection, if you asked me what was the most important chapter of the 17 that made up the book across all the Management / Programming / Coaching / Regulatory sections, I'd probably now say the ones to do with getting on with and understanding the age and stage development of kids and how to adjust your coaching to match it.

Listening to people like Nick Levett at the FA and Alf Galustian from Coever, there are indeed, people out there who know what should be done and how to do it.

Best of luck in all your roles.

http://www.coerver.co.uk/history.html
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

On TS this morning, Bob Mills mentioned that his family watched the 1966 World Cup Final on a Pay-As-You-Go TV.

Put this post together with a look at how the mid 1960's football annuals looked at the finals;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......you-go-tv/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:47 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

Goalsandwickets wrote:
RIP Bill Foulkes;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......l-foulkes/

Yes, indeed. RIP, fella.

Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 pm 
Post subject: Burnley and Queens Park Rangers have bee here before

Seeing Burnley and QPR at the top of the Championship after yesterday's matches reminded me of a similar situation back in 1972/73;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......the-table/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

Hi everyone,

My latest post on the issue of why all players don't do extra 'after hours' training following on from David Moyes' instruction to Danny Welbeck that he should stay behind.

For any Arsenal fans, I top and tail the post with mentions and photos of Pat Rice who I'm sure everyone is sparring a thought for as he battles cancer

Also, includes a nice early 50's photo of Cardiff City players doing their training by going on a long walk!

Many thanks for all the views to this thread and on the site itself since the launch back in February this year.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......tice-more/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Wasn't going to write another website post until after Xmas but the sad death of David Coleman changed that.

Here is my tribute to Coleman through a review of his World of Football annuals published between 1969 and 1975.

From the 1st issue (1969), I've included pictures from the annual of Colin Cowdrey ( a director of Charlton Athletic), a stunning one of Honor 'Pussy Galore' Blackman (Fulham fan - well her fella was)) and Tommy Steele, also at Craven Cottage.

Thanks in advance for any views;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-football/
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 pm 
Post subject:

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for all the website views in 2013.

Haven't been on for a few days but put this analysis / rant (delete as appropriate Very Happy ) about the issue of League and Cup priority just after the Hammers got stuffed by Forest in the FA Cup the other weekend;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-football/
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: