Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

My modest offering.. the game being decided by the unfortunate Gary Mabbutt's knee.

Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

67 years ago ......May 16th 1946

4 page programme from the Olympic Stadium in Berlin as United, the newly crowned Football league North Champions become the first English side to play in occupied Germany.

The services team (BOAR) was drawn from the three forces and featured
Arsenal's Leslie Compton and Eddie Lewis.
also appearing were:
Billy Bly (Hull City)
Billy Hughes (Birmingham City)
Jimmy Drinkwater (st Mirren)
Eric Parsons (West Ham)
Ted Duggan (luton Town)
Billy Steel (greenock Morton)

The Services won 5-1 in front of 15,000.

A further footnote about the three day trip, was that the players were at unease at the soldiers who were on guard in and around the district they were staying. These were the feared Mongolian troops within the Soviet Army. The German Sixth Army weren't right pleased to see them at Stalingrad. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:23 am 
Post subject:

65 years ago..........May 17th 1948

A genuinely rare programme and ticket for the exhibition match between the two Sheffield Clubs. Although not mentioned in the team line up this was to be Paddy Sloan's last game for the Club before his transfer to Milan, thus becoming the first Irishman in history to play in Serie A

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1958 season Blackpool embarked on a World Tour playing a match in Los Angeles, 12 matches in Australia and on the return home playing games in Hong Kong and China.

They scored a remarkable 87 goals against 12 conceded.

The game on 17th May was against Australia in Brisbane where Blackpool won 4-2.

A 36 page programme was issued in the form of the weekly Queensland Soccer News which is dated the 15th, two days before the game.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

36 years ago and a theatrical theme to the issue for what turned out to be Workington's final game as a league club.

Newport had been in the re-election zone since Xmas but new manager Colin Addison had improved matters to the point where just a draw in this game would, as the programme notes state, "mean we could scrap the brochure we have planned for re-election"

This they duly did, with a 1-0 victory meaning Halifax joined Hartlepool, Southport and Workington in having to persuade their fellow clubs to give them one more chance.

16 page issue costing 15p. Plenty to read along with photos from the previous home game against Crewe. The cover is a nice touch!

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:37 am 
Post subject:

The club were still playing Corinthian League fixtures in 1963 and today 50 years ago, Eastbourne were the visitors to York Road. Maidenhead won 4-1 and finished 7th, Eastbourne 14th (of 16), Leatherhead won the title. Single sheet printed black on blue paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:00 am 
Post subject:

There was a late finish to the 1962/3 season due to the severe weather in January and February.

This was one of the coldest winters on record although strangely it wasn’t as severe in Scotland as it was in England and Wales.

Many clubs went weeks without a game. Blackpool didn’t have a home fixture throughout the whole of January and February and didn’t play their FA Cup 3rd tie until March.

Blackpool’s last home game was for this Central League reserve fixture against Sheffield Wednesday.

A standard single sheet was issued.

In the Blackpool side was a young Alan Ball while Howard Wilkinson was in the Sheffield Wednesday line up.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

I'll go with 1963 as well - and 19th placed Manchester United, just a point above the relegation spots, entertain already-relegated Leyton Orient.

In the end, safety was assured with a 3-1 victory and possibly made all the happier with Man City's 1-6 defeat at West Ham that same day seeing them take the other relegation spot.

Usual 12 page Old Trafford issue - one which certainly expresses disappointment at the league form but at no point ever seems to consider relegation a possibility. It's never mentioned or alluded to....

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:21 am 
Post subject:

Back to Bloomfield Road for 2 end of season finals.

The Blackpool and Fylde Sunday Football Alliance (Junior Section) have had their Hogan Cup finals contested at Bloomfield Road since the 1960s and they are still held there today.

The finals are for all levels from under 11 to under 16 played from the morning until the early evening.

An 18 page programme priced 10p was issued for these games on 19th May 1979.

10 years later a large size 44 page programme priced 50p was issued for the European Police Football Championships between Great Britain and Italy.

Great Britain had beaten Denmark and West Germany to reach the final whereas Italy had beaten Sweden and drawn with Norway.

Gordon Simmonite the ex Blackpool and Lincoln full back played for the Great Britain team.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 am 
Post subject:

1951 and the final of the Berks & Bucks Benevolent Cup at York Road between Maidenhead and Slough Town. The Rebels won 2-1. Eight page programme printed black on orange paper.

1966 and a visit to the Dolphin Stadium for a Wycombe Floodlight League Cup fixture. Slough won 3-0 to clinch the trophy in a mini-league of four also consisting of Wycombe Wanderers and Reading Reserves. The winners of the trophy were the club that scored the most goals, so although Wycombe in 2nd place had a better record than Slough, the Rebels scored one goal more. Usual 12 page programme produced, printed blue and black on white paper.

My wants list - just 1 found so far in 2013 - can anyone else help?

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/football-programme-wants.php
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

34 years ago and the highest attendance to date for an FA Trophy Final (32,000) see Stafford Rangers beat Kettering Town 2-0.

Yet another Final success for a Northern Premier Lge club.

20 page programme costing 25p.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:52 am 
Post subject:

20-May-1963 and Rovers were away to Port Vale in our last Division 3 match.
Vale won 2-0.
[/img]

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:39 am 
Post subject:

1963 and a visit to Letchworth for a Corinthian League fixture which the home side won 2-0. Letchworth finished 6th, Maidenhead 7th. Large four page programme printed blue on white paper (the scan of which I've cropped a bit too much!)

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am 
Post subject:

1985 and a testimonial for Keith Mercer between Blackpool (his last club) and Watford (his first club).

In his short time at Bloomfield Road Mercer quickly became a fans favourite for his energetic and enthusiast approach to the game. He scored some memorable goals and was on target in his debut match against Reading in August 1983.

He made his debut for Watford whilst still at school and became the youngest ever player to play for the club. He subsequently helped them to promotion from the old 4th and 3rd Divisions.

In between his spells at Watford and Blackpool Mercer was regularly scoring goals for Southend United.

Unfortunately Mercer’s career had been dogged by a knee inury and he finally had to give up the game at the age of 28.

He managed to score 101 goals out of 337 appearances for his 3 clubs and it makes you wonder what he could have achieved without the recurring injury.

A large style 20 page programme was issued and I remember chatting with Elton John on the night in the old West Stand Directors Box.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 am 
Post subject:

1967 - the "Cockney Cup Final", as it was dubbed. 2-1 to Spurs.

The "Special Wembley Souvenir" was in the very first "bargain bundle" of programmes I got from Steve Earl way back in the early 70s.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
1967 - the "Cockney Cup Final", as it was dubbed. 2-1 to Spurs.

The "Special Wembley Souvenir" was in the very first "bargain bundle" of programmes I got from Steve Earl way back in the early 70s.

Well that answers a question I have had for years. IE, where the hell did I get that "Special Wembley Souvenir" prog from?
Now I know, it must have been Steve Earl.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 am 
Post subject:

1979 and the replay of the Isthmian League Youth Cup final (sponsored by Berger Paints) between Croydon and Slough Town. After a 3-3 draw at Carshalton, Croydon won the cup with a 3-1 victory. Eight page programme issued by Maidenhead, usual cover and poorly duplicated four page insert.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 am 
Post subject:

Another one from the extended 1962/3 season, this time for a 2nd Division fixture between Chelsea and Portsmouth.

Chelsea made a quick return to the top flight following their relegation in 1962 by finishing as runners up to Stoke City.

They ended the campaign with this home game against Portsmouth and ran out winners by 7 goals to none. Bobby Tambling notched 4 and Terry Veneables bagged a penalty.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:29 am 
Post subject:

Sunday 21st May 1989 - and it's the Division 2 (now Championship) play-off semi-finals - 1st legs. These have some relevance bearing in mind this season's final next Monday. Also worth noting that the 2 teams who were promoted automatically that season were Chelsea and Manchester City, the latter finishing 1 point ahead of 3rd placed Palace.

Blackburn v Watford

Result 0-0, attendance 14,028.

Swindon v Crystal Palace

Result 1-0 (Jeff Hopkins own goal), attendance 16,656.

Both matches on a kinife-edge, 2nd legs on 24th May. Watch this space!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

34 years ago..........May 21st 1979

Gothenburg v Halmstads (Swedish Allvenskan)

Not sure what's happening on the cover, were these pullovers all the rage in downtown Gothenburg in the late 70s, or was it some sort of satanic brotherhood for the protection of Christmas Jumpers, or is this the 'Take That' of Sweden? Confused

The same year we went camping in Scandinavia.

And ran out of petrol on the way to the ferry coming home.

Have you ever tried to find a petrol station open on a sunday afternoon in Gothenburg? Laughing

| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: