Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
I do like that one Barnsley, minimilistic like Tony Hancock in The Artist.

Here's my offering for the day: 49 years ago 4th Feb 1964

Sheffield United U23s v England Youth XI

Basic 4 page reserve type programme of United's throughout the late 50s and all of the 60s. Cover price 2d.

United included the two 'Alans', Woodward and Birchenall.

The England Youth Team featured Howard Kendall, John Hollins, Don Rogers, and Ron Springett.

As with all youth team programmes perhaps the interesting aspect is what happened to the rest.

Micky Wright, Villa, never played a senior game, due to a serious injury,

Barrie Wright, leeds. England Youth team Captain. Played a handful of games for Leeds before moving to America. returned to play for Brighton before retiring at 25, disillusioned with the game. became a warehouseman.

Tony wood, Manchester City - Unknown

Brian Bromley, Bolton, Made over 300 league appearances and later moved to Portsmouth for 25,000. died last year

John Sissons, West ham, Three months later became the youngest player to score in the Fa Cup final, Made 200 appearances for West ham before joing Sheff Wendy. Now a very successful businessman in South Africa

Martin Britt, West ham, Played 20 times for the Hammers before falling out with Ron Greewood. He had suffered an injury ground accident where he suffered cruciate ligament damage. He couldn't jump and had to play mainly with his left leg, but he still managed to be transferred to Blackburn in 1968 for £25,000.
After a handful of games Britt had an exploratory operation which revealed he had a broken knee. He would never play again and the two clubs fell out with Blackburn accusing West ham of 'ripping them off' by not revealing the true facts.

West Ham accused of not being truthful.
Surely not! Laughing Laughing

Peter Houseman and Tony Brown were reserves

Re Tony Wood Alfred E.H.Wood :--
Played in 25 games for Man City
258 games for Shrewsbury Town.
100 games for Millwall
53 games for Hull City
23 games for Middlesborough
29 games for Wallsall
Dont know where the "Tony " came from, perhaps it's a misprint.
He's definately the right one as he was the only Wood to play for Man. City in that era 1963-65
Conclusion. It's the legendery Alf Wood.. Sherlock
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="MATT RUSH"]
sharrowblade wrote:

Film was called "The Rebel" (though, yes, he played an artist)....released in the US under the title "Call Me Genius" - and they slaughtered him for it!

Any other Hancock collectors in this forum?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 am 
Post subject:

[quote="derby1884"]
MATT RUSH wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:

Film was called "The Rebel" (though, yes, he played an artist)....released in the US under the title "Call Me Genius" - and they slaughtered him for it!

Any other Hancock collectors in this forum?

Yes that's the one. Its 30 odd years since I saw it. Who could forget Aphrodite at the Waterhole Laughing

Absolutely loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
chriscobbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 am 
Post subject:

A programme from the Cobblers' long away trip to Gateshead from 6th February 1960. This was Gateshead's last season in the football league as after finishing 22nd in the Fourth Division they were not re-elected for the following campaign.
Northampton won 3-1 in front of 3,164.

www.ntfcmemorabilia.weebly.com
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:18 am 
Post subject:

chriscobbler wrote:
A programme from the Cobblers' long away trip to Gateshead from 6th February 1960.

I love it when they do those adverts listing their products under the old 2-3-5 formation!
Was quite a popular marketing tool back then.
I recall a few - ice creams, bicycles, there was even one in the Leeds programme where all the Yorkshiure Post writers were listed with their speciality sport in parentheses against their name.

Such innocent days.

Beats Facebook and Twatter (or whatever it's called)
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 am 
Post subject:

Back 65 years now to when the FA Cup really meant something other than a chance to rotate your squad....

Derby, winners of the trophy less than 2 years prior to this, had beaten Chesterfield and Crewe to earn a tricky 5th Round tie at Ayresome Park.

There was great demand for tickets - a group of Derby fans even tried (unsuccessfully) to charter an aircraft to fly them from Derby airport at Burnaston.

In front of 43,000 spectators, Reg Harrison (21 mins) and Jack Stamps (67 mins) scored for Derby (Johnny Spuhler replying for 'Boro in the 85th minute) to send the Rams into a quarter-final tie with Division 3 (South) leaders QPR.....but it was most noticeable for the fact that Frank Payne, a young 'un signed from Ollerton Colliery in January, was forced, due to injury to Bill Townsend, to play his one and, ultimately, only first team game for the Rams in goal that day.
Apparently he played a blinder - but by the time the quarter final came around, Payne was back in the 'A' team playing at South Normanton Athletic....not Loftus Road!

It's also worth noting that long-serving Derby trainer Jimmy Gordon actually played left-half for M/Boro in this game.

The Rams received a nice letter from some 'Boro fans after the match wishing them well for the rest of the Cup campaign and looking forward to the league visit to Ayresome in March. I've appended that underneath the programme.

grantham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

Grantham visited Gateshead on thisday 1981

A pitiful crowd of 123, saw a 1-1 draw in the Northern Premier League
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm 
Post subject:

Not exactly football, but hopefully still welcome..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

A 3-1 victory for the home side in the Wycombe Floodlight League competition which was won by the Wanderers, with Oxford City finishing second. A four page programme, black on light blue paper, which turns up quite regularly.

Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 pm 
Post subject:

A 3-0 victory for Plymouth against Cardiff City
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

A local derby in the Midland League, Corby v Peterborough 7/2/53, a 2-1 win for the Posh Clap
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

One or two players might ring a bell, Laughing
Lee, Marsh,Doyle,Summerbee,Corrigan,Clemence,Hughes,Keegan,Highway,Toshack.
All British and all legends.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

30 years ago this evening and, in the FA Cup, 1-3 down with 12 minutes to go, Derby produce a phenomenal comeback to triumph 5-3 after extra time.
I'm sure I recall seeing the highlights of this match on Sportsnight with Coleman that night.

Spurs 3 (Chivers, Gilzean, England pen)
Derby 5 (Davies 3, Hector 2)
att: 52,736 (!!)

Here are both the official programme and a pirate issue....

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
30 years ago this evening and, in the FA Cup, 1-3 down with 12 minutes to go, Derby produce a phenomenal comeback to triumph 5-3 after extra time.
I'm sure I recall seeing the highlights of this match on Sportsnight with Coleman that night.

remember it well, Roger Davies the man with the long body and short legs.

Remember tho, Derby and Posh , only one entrant per day

Last edited by sharrowblade on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

Okay, a bit late, but here's my offering for the day.

7th February 1953, 60 years ago

A four page programme from Lincoln City, which I've selected not because it was from United's 2nd Division championship winning season, but mainly because of the artwork on the cover.

Its not the cathedral, the bell, the rosette,the rattle, the ball or the stars,.....its because the Imp looks like its getting a good kicking.
I hear all the Mariners nodding with approval.

So what do you get for your 2d, not a lot, team line ups, fixtures, league tables, and manager notes, in which Bill Anderson was hoping to do better than Lincoln had done at the Lane earlier in the season (6-1). He got his wish, as the Imps won 3-2, United then went on a unbeaten run until the last game of the season, when promotion had already been secured.
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

One of the more interesting programmes in my collection this one.

In 1967, with Stevenage Town in massive financial trouble (they folded in 1968) a mid-season friendly was organised with Port Vale - the match was sponsored too, by Mowlem, hence the 'Mowlem Challenge Cup'. That may not appear to be too attractive a fixture.

But the Port Vale line-up was:
O'Neill, Richie, Broomhall, Lintern, James, Gibbons, Mudie, Georgeson, Chapman, McKensie - and Sir Stanley Matthews.

I only acquired this programme very recently, and for a bargain price. Even more intriguing is the fact that Sir Stanley Matthews brought his Port Vale team back to Port Vale in October of the same year, to take part in a testimonial match for Stevenage Town's manager George Curtis, who had left at the end of the 1966-67 season.
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

My Yorkshire Non League offering for 7th Sept, this time FA Amateur Cup 3rd Round Replay large 4 pager for Emley's visit to Dagenham. This was Emley's first season in the Yorkshire League after joining from the Huddersfield League. They had reached the 3rd round the previous season - the first time they had entered the Amateur Cup.

The programme contained Club Notes on the centre pages continuing on the back pages with the team line ups in the centre pages.

The notes on the back page show what a culture shock the Daggers fans experienced when visiting Emley the previous Saturday - "While I shivered, a local stood behind me without even a top-coat. He said it's so healthy in Emley that they had to shoot somebody to start a cemetery. If I'd been there much longer I would have joined the victim!"

Southern Softies !!
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm 
Post subject:

oops - a senior moment - obviously meant 7th Feb (1970)
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 am 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
53 years ago today FA Amateur Cup 3rd Round featuring one of my favourite non league clubs - Norton Woodseats away at Athenian League Carshalton Athletic

If anyone has any old Norton Woodseats programmes out there I'd love to hear from them.

Lovely programme that, Barnsley. My grandfather used to play for Norton Woodseats during the 30s.

Used to watch my dad reffing in the 70s from the top of the cliff.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 am 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:

The notes on the back page show what a culture shock the Daggers fans experienced when visiting Emley the previous Saturday - "While I shivered, a local stood behind me without even a top-coat. He said it's so healthy in Emley that they had to shoot somebody to start a cemetery. If I'd been there much longer I would have joined the victim!"

Southern Softies !!

Love it. Its still a culture shock going to Emley
| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: