Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

46 years ago - and bang goes the Rams' 3 month unbeaten home run in the Central League.
Huddersfield win 2-0 and include a young Frank Worthington at inside-left.
Rams remain 20th - Town rise to 7th.

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 am 
Post subject:

I'm liking all the pictures of the programmes so I thought I'd join in with programmes from my Cobblers collection.

Northampton lost 1-0 at Torquay on 4th February 1950 in front of 8,732 at Plainmoor.

www.ntfcmemorabilia.weebly.com
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 am 
Post subject:

Excellent, keep them coming lads:

This day in History...58 years February 5th 1955

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United

12 page programme costing 3d.

Some good content including a message from a supporter whose first match he attended was at Olive Grove in 1890. He called on the spirits of the famous ones the Cleggs, Spikesleys, the Earps, the Blenkinsops and the Dooleys to spur them to victory. fine words indeed, but it didn't do them any good as United won 2-1 with goals from Alf Ringstead and Jack Cross.

Adverts included Jubilee stout and Gunstones Bread.

On the topical page, it was reported that Raich Carter now the manger of Leeds was the highest paid in British football in 1953 when he signed for Cork City (£50 a match). Elsewhere Accrington Stanley revealed plans to build a new stand costing £40000 to increase ground capacity to over 30000. A Club with a bright future.

The cover is a an overhead shot of Hillsborough which strangely looks better then, than it does now.

On the back there's an advert that caught my eye 'Pigs of Quality'.

say no more

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:54 am 
Post subject:

Hope Sharrowblade doesn't mind me using the same year!

By February 1955, it was beginning to dawn on the Derby public that, rather than fighting their way back to the top flight, as was the hope, the real battle was simply to remain in the Second Division.........and so, lying second from bottom, the Rams welcomed newly promoted Port Vale to the Baseball Ground.
The same Port Vale whose famed "steel curtain" defence had also carried them to the FA Cup semi final the previous season and included ex-Marine and prisoner-of-war Albert Mullard.
Vale must have been confident - after all, Derby hadn't even scored a goal in their previous 4 league matches and were without a win in 2 months.
But, football being football, everything came good and, in a throwback to the 1940s, the wing play of Stuart Imlach and, on his debut for the club, Jock Buchanan led the Rams to hog the headlines with a stunning 6-1 victory moving them out of the relegation zone.
19,882 witnessed Buchanan (with 2 goals), Imlach, Jimmy Dunn, Jack Parry run RAMpant Smile (along with a Basil Hayward own goal to make it 6-1)
As for the programme - a pretty standard 16 page affair with a "hello" to Jock Buchanan.......but also a note that the upcoming home game with Luton would be dependent upon the latter's cup tie with Man City. And, if Luton lost, would take place at 3pm on a Wednesday.
Hence, the Luton home has become one of the hardest of post-war Derby homes to find as the attendance, due to most people being at work, was down 60% on the season's average.
Sadly, this 6-1 win was to no avail - and Division3 (North) beckoned just a couple of months later.

goodison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am 
Post subject:

This programme is 100 years old today, and is one of the oldest in my collection, I have another 2 from this season which were slightly earlier.
Not much deatils on the cover, but it's from an FA Cup game between Everton and Brighton which Everton won 1-0.
It's an ex bound volume issue, which unfortunately has a split spine nearly the whole way.
David
[/img]
Posh1959

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

5th Feb 1949 Blackburn Rovers v Fulham, score 1-0

I still need the Plymouth home programme from this particular season, can anybody help?
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

I'm sure I must have been at this Division Two game 30 years ago today. The early 80s era is generally acknowledged by most Reds fans as being one of the best.

Barnsley legends on show that day included Ronnie Glavin, Ian Banks, Mick McCarthy and Derrick Parker. Andy Gray was up front for Wolves who were top of the table at the time and on their way to Promotion. However Barnsley won this game 2-1 in front of 13,535 (Banks, Parker). The Chronicle led with a typical headline the following Friday "Wolves tamed !"

Inside the programme, the editor reported on a recent meeting he had attended with representatives of South Yorkshire County Council, South Yorkshire Police, the Football League clubs of South Yorkshire and other members of the press to discuss the effect of the media on hooliganism associated with football matches in which the press came in for criticism for covering the hooliganism element thereby encouraging others to follow suit. One criticism in response by the editor was that maybe the Police could try to be less belligerent to visiting supporters, most of whom are well behaved.

There is also a profile on goalkeeper Gary Pierce (ex Wolves) and In Focus features ex Reds player John Jarman who at the time was in charge of the youngsters at Wolves.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm 
Post subject:

An exceptionally rare Scotland away which only came to light a few years ago.

reddevilsineurope

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

Don't think i need to add anymore.....
chriscobbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

Battle of the 'hamptons here in this reserve game from 5th February 1955.

Southampton ended up 3-0 winners.

www.ntfcmemorabilia.weebly.com
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am 
Post subject:

47 years ago today:
Ouch....a 6-2 defeat to United not enough to drop the Cobblers into the relegation places - but, by now, the pressure really was on them. With only Blackburn and Fulham below them, each with a game in hand.

Page 3 has a very simple three line tribute to those who had lost their lives at Munich 8 years earlier.

Nothing overblown - and, accordingly, more effective.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am 
Post subject:

This day in history 42 years ago: February 6th 1971.

A programme from United's promotion winning season.

United won 2-0, both goals from Alan Woodward

Car spotters will notice the cover depicts a new Cortina 1.6L as a prize won by United in a football league competition.

Local company TC Harrison also helped out with the display.My old mum used to work for them around about this time.

16 page programme which featured a welcome to Trevor Hockey and a goodbye to John Tudor. There was only a picture of Luton with no comment on the team. Lane pin up was Frank Barlow (lol).

The Lane shop had a large variety, more than todays, and had some real bargains including Knob Heads at 15 shillings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

Back 59 years and a very healthy crowd of 23,361 watched mid-table Hull beat mid-table Derby 3-0 in our first season back in Division Two.

As usual with Hull issues of the time, plenty reading for your 3d...16 pages with some interesting adverts including a 7 day coach tour of Royal Deeside and the Scottish Highlands for £18 (hotels included), motorbikes from £12 deposit & 7/6d weekly and "Handy Dan" promoting Ladylac emulsion paint.

The locals in Hull must have been known for having a sweet tooth as Mackmans (bakers & confectioners) were advertising all 25 of their shops in and around the Hull area! Are they still on the go?

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm 
Post subject:

A 4-1 win for the visitors in this Corinthian League fixture from 59 years ago. Standard 12 page programme, this one printed in green.

ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm 
Post subject:

55 years ago - as we all know - a tragedy occurred in Munich.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:16 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

The locals in Hull must have been known for having a sweet tooth as Mackmans (bakers & confectioners) were advertising all 25 of their shops in and around the Hull area! Are they still on the go?

I've never seen anyone in Hull with teeth! Especially, in those pubs near the docks Smile

Old man Mackman, used to be a chocolatier and a master baker of the highest order. I think they closed at the end of the seventies.

Love the scottish holiday prices.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan wrote:

Sadly, Dan, that could be a whole new thread on its own.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
ToffeeDan wrote:

Sadly, Dan, that could be a whole new thread on its own.

Sad that some at Wembley this evening couldn't keep their ignorant gobs shut for 60 seconds....
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

53 years ago today FA Amateur Cup 3rd Round featuring one of my favourite non league clubs - Norton Woodseats away at Athenian League Carshalton Athletic

If anyone has any old Norton Woodseats programmes out there I'd love to hear from them.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
53 years ago today FA Amateur Cup 3rd Round featuring one of my favourite non league clubs - Norton Woodseats away at Athenian League Carshalton Athletic

If anyone has any old Norton Woodseats programmes out there I'd love to hear from them.

I have a scan here of a 62/3 away at Swallownest M.W.
Single sheet issue, I think.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derby1884/7974606282/in/set-72157631507173005
| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: