Football Programmes Centre

Furthest you've travelled for a Postponed game?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Furthest you've travelled for a Postponed game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senior82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 pm 
Post subject: Furthest you've travelled for a Postponed game?

Having jetted out to Poland for the England game (and luckily being able to make the replay), last week I beat the snow and flew to the South of France to watch Sheffield Eagles play a pre season friendly. Imagine my horror when I woke up in my hotel that morning of the match (50 yards from the ground and after a 15 hour journey) to a text telling me the game was postponed!!

So what's the furthest, longest, most arduous journey you've undertaken to not watch a match?!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am 
Post subject:

Well, I can't come close to equalling your trip!

300 mile round trip by car to Fort William. Dodgy at best doing so in winter. Game off due to frozen pitch.
Still, it's a nice drive with some great scenery.

I'll get there one day - as it's still the only Highland League ground I've not seen a game at.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 am 
Post subject:

Well, I was in Spain for an abandonment, does that count? 2004 in Valencia at Levante's decrepit stadium when a massive thunderstorm broke over the city and cut the power supply, cue floodlight failure on 62 minutes. Scotland were drawing 1-1 at the time as well Crying or Very sad

There is of course the infamous 3 second game in Estonia in 1996, thankfully I wasn't at that one.
silkman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 am 
Post subject:

Brighton v Stockport 67 or 68.

Sign at Brighton station said ' Game Off' Just turned right around.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 am 
Post subject:

Also went to the Poland - England game that was postponed. Most gutted for my 3 year old son, as it was first England away game and it doesn't really 'count' as we didn't stay for the game itself the next day (had flight the next day). Do have tickets, photos in the ground, match scarf and a programme though!

For Palace, furthest is Bradford (twice!)

Once it was postponed at about 11am, when we were nearly there. Made it back to Selhurst by 4pm and walked into Selhurst Park for free to watch the 2nd half of Wimbledon's home game that day!

Other time at Bradford, game was abandoned at half time, flooded pitch. Saw half a game of football, but it was a joke really with huge puddles and the ball just splashing about! Got into the rearranged game for half price though.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 am 
Post subject:

Los Angeles 2005 The Albion booked a tour and LA Galaxy postponed it preferring to play a smaller cflub REAL MADRID.

I know there are some typo errors as i was sozzled at the time of typing.

Outcome was I did not receive any compo after a 1 hour meeting with the Albion Chairman... BARSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD
Senior82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
Post subject:

Rochdale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Traveled to Armenia and booked my dates around an Armenian Div One game at FC Pyunik.

Flight from Moscow was late, got a taxi straight from the airport to the ground, nothing, no one there at all...found out later they had switched it to another ground on the other side of town.

Brilliant place to visit but sadly no football seen...
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

Gotheburg vs Helsingborgs about 7 years back. A torrential thunderstorm about 5 or 6 hours before the game started meant that rivers, not roads, criss crossed Gothenburg.

Truth is, we were out there on holiday - but it was arranged to coincide with this game so we could watch Henrik Larsson playing in his native country. Hugely disappointed to say the least not to have seen it.

Have seen a number of games at the Ullevi in Gothenburg, and it's a cracking wee venue - with very reasonable prices - to watch a game at. Co-ordinated "ultras" with megaphones etc, very similar to what we saw at Marseilles vs Nice a few years back as well.
flashhat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

Early 00's, Hartlepool v Luton, called off at 2pm just as we got to the ground, but I did get out to get the programme, so was worth the 4 hour drive then back again.

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

Costa Del Grimsby.
Also got half-way to Cardiff a couple of seasons ago when it was called off at the Cardiff City Stadium because of a frozen pitch (They even had undersoil heating, but it was never switched on, typical penny pinching from Mr Ridsdale) yet Newport just down the road managed to play.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Tried four times to get to a game in 1984-85, an FA Cup replay between Huddersfield and Wolves. I worked through my lunchtime and left work early eight times in a fortnight only for the game to be postponed each time, four times before we had left home, twice whilst on the Motorway and a couple of others where we had only gone a few miles from home.

For the younger members out there this was before the dawn of mobile phones and the internet when the only way of finding out if the game was postponed was by listening to the radio.

The game eventually took place on the Saturday of the Fourth Round ties on a skating rink of a pitch while we hearty souls from the Midlands stood on a bleak uncovered terrace ankle deep in snow freezing our knackers off. And to cap it all we lost.

Such is the life of a dedicated football fan.
thewednesday

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Well, I can't come close to equalling your trip!

300 mile round trip by car to Fort William. Dodgy at best doing so in winter. Game off due to frozen pitch.
Still, it's a nice drive with some great scenery.

I'll get there one day - as it's still the only Highland League ground I've not seen a game at.

Fort William and Cove Rangers are the only one's I've not managed to get to.

As for the furthest postponement, Gillingham in the FA Cup, got to London and rang the ground to see if it was still on, if it wasn't we were going to watch Barnet play Doncaster, they said it was on. Got to Gillingham and was in the first pub when a local came up to us and asked if we were here for the game. When we said we were he just shook his head and walked away laughing. So we just stayed the day in (not so) beautiful Gillingham.
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

From Burnley to Chelsea FA Cup 1977/78. Called off at 2 pm just as the supporters coach was turning into Fulham Palace Road. I went to the rearranged game the following Tuesday night by train. Burnley scored after 29 seconds and again 30 seconds from time. Unfortunately Chelsea scored 6 in between!

Also West Ham v. Burnley 1978/79. Got to London and heard it was postponed so we went to Arsenal v. Forest instead.

And a bizarre Wednesday night trip to Torquay in April 1982 as part of a week's groundhopping with a friend. We did Mansfield on Monday, Aldershot on Tuesday & Exeter on Friday with no problems but on arriving at Plainmoor we were greeted with a small handwritten card stuck onn the office door and reading 'Tonight's game v. Halifax is off.' Apparently a light afternoon shower had caused the pitch to be 'waterlogged.'
aye aye rhubarb pie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am 
Post subject:

spartak moscow v leeds united about 12 years ago, my son is a leeds fan and knowing i have always wanted to go to moscow he arranged the trip for us, the weather was freezing and game called off, had a great 3 days in moscow though.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: