Football Programmes Centre

Programme Collecting - A Hobby or An Addiction?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme Collecting - A Hobby or An Addiction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 pm 
Post subject: Programme Collecting - A Hobby or An Addiction?

Would like to hear everyone's views on this subject?

I was listening to a radio programme tonight an they were talking about addiction's. Someone had an addiction to collecting things. The things he collected didn't even mean anything to him and he didn't know why he collected half of the stuff he did, but he just had to collect it.

That got me thinking, is programme collecting a hobby or an addiction?

I'm not so sure with myself. It definately started off as a hobby. I would only buy programmes when I was at the match and if I had spare money I'd buy a few more older ones. But recently, I find myself paying stupid money for very old programmes that when I obtain them I dont even read through them!

Now from what the man was saying on the radio, an addiction is when a person keeps doing something even though it brings about an inconvenience to one's self. Like gambling with money you don't have. Like drinking alcohol excessively just because you feel you need to.

I find that programme collecting brings an inconvenience to myself sometimes, especially with my bank account! I regularly spend money that I don't have on programmes just to say 'I have it now' and even though I know in my mind what I want to collect I find myself buying more programmes because I see them and want them. Maybe I have an addiction rather than a hobby? It makes you wonder....
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:23 pm 
Post subject:

I think that the addiction is football itself.
Collecting the programmes is a side effect of that addiction.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
MisterGas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

Oh ADDICTIONS......My favourite subject.

Addiction 1 was Alcohol........20 years of total mayhem and madness.

Addiction 2 was Cocaine.......This was taken to keep me awake for more hours in the day, to achieve the high i needed from Addiction 1.

After months of professional help, i eventually started to get better but then i discovered Addiction 3 Ebay. I had several £1000's to spend and decided to buy and sell on Ebay......Not a good idea lol. I bought a job lot of items, which i knew sold in shops for £10 each and i was going to re-sell and make a few quid but when they arrived, i discovered there was a whole range of these things and so i decided to start collecting them. After 4months and £6000 i had a full collection and Addiction 4.

Addiction 4. was now totally controlling my life, i lived on the forum, i went up and down the country to signings and events, i was buying and selling to people all over the world and probably had one of the best collections in the world. everything had to be 1st Editions, boxed and in mint condition. I didnot even have them displayed, they were checked, ticked off the list and stored in larger boxes......Total madness.

Addiction 4 had to go. So i sold up and made a good profit.

Now i had time on my hands.....DANGEROUS for an Addict like me, especially when Addiction 1 is only one drink away.

So back on Addiction 3 and keep myself busy and so we end up with my newest Addition 5, which has switched from Football Programmes to Football Tickets.

The Addition is going along nicely, have to have a daily fix and my fingers are worn out from abuse of the keyboard.

So........I have an Addictive Personality and everything i pick up, i do it to an extreme. So you aint alone Mr B.

Big Kisses. Mr G. xx

Last edited by MisterGas on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:11 am 
Post subject:

I spose I collect:

Football programmes - but I've whittled it down to Everton and given the rest away

Everton memorabilia - but I've parted with some of this even.

Montblanc items - which I use

Good Watches... too many to mention but I do use them.

Pens.. again - see Montblanc as well - I use them - don't collect them

Used to collect: TV series and stuff off the tv, recorded or otherwise, don't bother now, tapes (pre CDs for the youngsters on here) - now don't watch much TV..

Used to collect: Beswick figures.

Car boot a lot of junk now and again to get rid of multiple stuff.
Used to keep a lot of different magazines - probably should have kept them!!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:09 pm 
Post subject: addiction

Mister Gas, you've an addictive personality. Don't take up self abuse, you'll end up a quivering wreck!

It's an interesting question. I love good food, good wine, and whisky - especially a good malt. Have conditioned myself though on a number of fronts. There's no use professing you love good food, and then stuff your face full until you can eat no more. Unfortunately, most folk believe being stuffed is the same as having a good meal! A good meal should leave you feeling sated, but not bloated, and possibly wanting more. Now here's the unbelievable bit, I also control myself with alcohol on the same basis.

I love my cask conditioned ale, and 4 or 5 pints every now and again suffices. If it's whisky, I buy a bottle from the local co-op when they have offers on. Usually get Isle of Jura malt at £16.99 a bottle - a veritable bargain. Bottle, though, will last me a week, the equivalent of a double double every night of the week. Then I leave it alone for a month or so. I know the dangers of being able to indulge my passion for a good malt, so I don't do it. Moved to Scotland in 1991, and haven't been inebriated during that time, albeit I've had a few good swallies, but enjoying good drink, like good food is always best done in (semi) moderation.

Programme collecting. Used to be obsessive, but when circumstances drove me to sell my Scottish Junior collection over 5 years ago completely altered my outlook, as it was unhealthy - ringing up contacts "have you picked anything up lately?" You'll all recognise that phone conversation. Having sold one of the very best such collections I took a completely diffwrent outlook to collecting. Now I buy programmes, look at them, and pass the on. I therefore have a fluctuating collection whichmeans there's no element of compulsion. It's not difficult once you take the first step.

Wouldn't be so condescending as to think my take on things is easy. I've done the drink; done the compulsive collecting; done many things that defy logic - but that's human nature, and who is anybody to criticise someone else for their frailties?
stodin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 pm 
Post subject:

My girlfriend is a counsellor and she is trying to work out the difference between addiction and compulsion. She will enjoy reading this.
paulo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

I know a couple of people that are defintaly programme collector addicts. Whenever they go to games they spend more time trying to get things that other people wont have, teamsheets, match badges, variation on tickets etc than they do watching the game. I suspect all clubs have these people and the staff at the clubs just give them stuff to get rid of them. Quite helpful to know as they get me ticket stubs from youth games etc, but I think they have lost the point of why we go every week, to support the team! Mad
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

Im with the pirate on this. Wolves is my addiction, programme collecting a mere side affect

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
James

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:51 am 
Post subject:

Wulfrunian wrote:
Im with the pirate on this. Wolves is my addiction, programme collecting a mere side affect

I think i'm the opposite, i love collecting my programmes, but have lost all my love for the game of football, 08/09 was the first season i hadn;t renewed my club membership since I became a member in 90/91 season.

I used to go to 20-25 games a season be it premiership(spurs), whatever league Gillingham were in and local kent non league, but in the last 5 years i've been to THREE football games, one of which was a Spurs youngsters x1 away to Dartford in a pre-season friendly another one was to see a mate have a trial match for Chatham Town.

Don't think i'll ever stop collecting programmes, but every now and then i have to take short breaks just to help build up the finances, but even during this time i do tend to try and pick up a few cheap progs to keep me going.
shanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:54 pm 
Post subject: Addiction

I agree that footie is the addiction but it gust doesnt feel right without the match programme now i have even started buying match badges and feel robed if unable to get one
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

I'm with Mr. G. I have an addictive personality, and in the past have been addicted to booze,drugs and gambling (shudda been a pro footballer!!), and now programmes are my addiction.

I think anything can be an addiction to one person (drink, football, whatever), but to the next person, its just a hobby. Its a hobby when its enjoyable and part of your life, but when it takes over your life, and all your money and every waking hour is spent thinking about it, its an addiction.
giorgio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

My psychiatrist says I've got OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) so this could be another possibility for discussion. I don't know if I agree with him though have spent a fortune on football over the years. A lot of money indeed.
Most of the programmes I need now are very expensive so I am having to pace myself financially, not that my wants turn up very often these days in the condition I am looking for.
One collection I really enjoyed was my fruit sticker collection believe it or not. I used to collect the little stickers that come on fruit and put them on the front of my fridge. This is a very inexpensive hobby, lots of fun hunting round for a new fruit and very healthy to boot.
Marco_Polo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:35 pm 
Post subject:

paulo wrote:
I know a couple of people that are defintaly programme collector addicts. Whenever they go to games they spend more time trying to get things that other people wont have, teamsheets, match badges, variation on tickets etc than they do watching the game. I suspect all clubs have these people and the staff at the clubs just give them stuff to get rid of them. Quite helpful to know as they get me ticket stubs from youth games etc, but I think they have lost the point of why we go every week, to support the team! Mad

Ha ha.. I got a stiffy the other night knowing that I managed to snuffle two colour team sheets at the Chelmsford v Romford friendly.
Do I need help?
Mad
Marco_Polo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

ForestMick wrote:
I'm with Mr. G. I have an addictive personality, and in the past have been addicted to booze,drugs and gambling (shudda been a pro footballer!!), and now programmes are my addiction.

I think anything can be an addiction to one person (drink, football, whatever), but to the next person, its just a hobby. Its a hobby when its enjoyable and part of your life, but when it takes over your life, and all your money and every waking hour is spent thinking about it, its an addiction.

Looking at things that way, surely everything in life is an addiction? From work to cutting the grass..
I only collect programmes, but I do have magpie tendencies when a deal presents itself.
Addicted to booze.. a bottle of wine a day on average, cigs - a 50g pack of Drum every four days.. and that is it really.
Never was a great fan of drugs, had the odd spliff from time to time but very rarely.
Must have been my one and only trip on Acid that turned me off.. Was at the Weeley festival in 1971 and I thought I was an orange and everyone was trying to eat me...
Mind you I have similar memories in a Manchester hotel when up there for the Euro '96 draw. Mi amigo gave me some stuff and I was doing squiddly diddly impersonations for the next two hours... Mad
Zut alors...
gurulion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:45 am 
Post subject:

Must have been citric acid....
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm 
Post subject: weeley

Marco, if you were at Weeley, you would have seen Jimi Hendrix's last public perforance prior to his untimely demise. Seeing as you were an orange, do you think it's any coincidence that you've actually outspanned him in terms of age?
Did anyone at the festival take the pith out of you and your unfortunate circustances?
Did you like Tangerine Dream?
Lastly - a stiffy for getting two coloured teamsheets? It's about tie you took yourself in hand young man.
BTW, found a Guildford v Romford 59-60 in one of my boxes the other day. States it was Romford's first ever game in the professional ranks. Any use to you?
gurulion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

You were an orange in 1971, eh Marco. Must seem like zesterday...

Of course that was the year when things ran like Clockwork..

(Hope these puns apeel to you).

Not sure Tangerine Dream had make it out of Germany by 1971, Auchetc. You must be thinking of the Marmalade.

Pip pip!
Marco_Polo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

You two need to keep a Seville tongue.. Very Happy
Nope, Hendrix not at Weeley.. well didn't play as far as I can remember.. Rod, Rory Gallagher (Taste) and the Groundhogs - Cherry Red (where's a dancing man emoticon when you need one?)
Shame Rory hadn't released Going to my home town then.. loved that song...
As for the Guildford v Romford proggie..two stiffies in ten days.. life's been good to me so far!
Let me know how much geezer...
Oh look, it's nearly pub o'clock.. Get My Coat
gurulion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

Seville tongue....!!!

That's a Jaffa....!
Marco_Polo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

Ha ha.. no flies on me Jimbo.. a few teeth marks from where they have been though..
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: