Football Programmes Centre

Your first game and do you have the programme for that game?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Your first game and do you have the programme for that game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 am 
Post subject: Your first game and do you have the programme for that game?

My first match was Rangers 1-1 Hearts 30/9/67 Alex Ferguson scored for Rangers. I have the programme. I only have 8 programmes from that season and half of them are against Hearts. My favourite Goalie in the 60,s & 70s was Jim Cruickshank and i'm lucky enough to own 3 pprogrammes with his autograph. A great memory was when he was challenged by wee Jinky Johnstone who tried to punch the ball out of his hands. He smacked the wee guy in the face with the ball (ouch, lol) He got sent off.
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 am 
Post subject:

My first game was Macclesfield v Exeter back in 2000, and yes I have the programme, although it is quite creased.
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am 
Post subject:

I don't have the programme from my first game. I was at Ashton Gate, god knows who it was against, it is a part of my life I don't want to remember.

I do have the programme from my first game at Eastville though. Was the Watney Cup Final in 1972. We beat Sheff Utd to lift the cup. Strangly we are playing them again on Sat in the FA Cup. Think it unlikley that history will be repeated.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Senior82

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am 
Post subject:

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Luton Town, 6 August 1988. I have the programme, it was bought that very day, if only my dad hadn't bought me one that day, I might have a lot more money than I do now!!
Sainthomer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:58 am 
Post subject:

My first game was England V Germany schoolboys at Wembley in 82ish. I did have a programme but when I moved house I left it with a host of stuff I wish I had now. Didnt like football then, I seem to remember the ground was huge at the time and I spent most of the game running up and down the steps!!!

My first Saints game was against Liverpool in 1987 for a birthday treat. I spent an age choosing a souvenir which was a signed Shilton photo. I watched the game on the steps at the back and watched it through the crack of the people in front and the upper level seats.

I still have the programme which is well worn and creased. Read over and over again and one day I will find a better copy!!!
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:09 am 
Post subject: My First Match

My first match was Swindon v Fulham 18/09/71. Still have the prog although heavily written on - the team line ups were on the front cover.

The match was televised by ATV for their Star Soccer programme and I have recently purchased a video with the goals on (Swindon won 4-0).

I suppose this is what kick started my programme collection.
bjm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am 
Post subject: First game/programme

This thread makes me feel really ancient but, for the record, first league match I attended was Watford v QPR(my Uncle who took me was a Rangers supporter) 28 Dec 46 and, unfortunately, remains the only match I have attended and do not have a programme! First non-league match I went to was Southall v Redhill 23 Aug 47 and still have that programme in very good condition.
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 am 
Post subject:

My first was: 21/9/1966 Football League v Irish League.

Our World Cup winning team paraded the Jules Rimet Trophy around Home Park, Plymouth in front of a huge crowd.

I was 10 years old and watched the Football League team win 11-0 (?) or something like that - I've slept a few times since then Very Happy

I still have the programme - not worth anything except to me.

Fantastic first exposure to football - most of it hasn't been quite as exciting since - except my first visit to The Den in 1969.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

First game was 3rd September 1980, Hearts v Ayr United in the League Cup just before my 10th birthday, which Hearts lost 3-2. We were in the main stand and I recall my dad asking for a programme and was told there was none, and they were right! I think one of only two or three competitive home matches without a programme since 1947, not a very good start!

My actual first game of organised football I paid to get into was a couple of weeks before when my local team joined the Junior leagues and their first match at that level was also a midweek League Cup game which we also lost 3-2! My hazy memory puts the crowd at around 300-400, no programme either, programmes at Junior games in those days were pretty rare. I think I went to the following Saturdays game as well.

So not a good start to my programme collecting habit, three games, no programme. It wasn’t until the start of 1982-83 season when I went to my next Hearts game when we hosted Leeds United in a pre-season friendly and I was deemed old enough to go to these games on my own [dunno why, the Leeds fans tried to rip up the main stand where they were situated], did I start getting the collecting bug - aided by Alan Cunningham’s programme stall situated behind the main stand. That season I began going regularly and used to spend a fair amount of time pre-match gazing at the programmes on the stall and seeing how far my meagre pocket money resources could stretch.

I remember one midweek friendly we played that season around November, at home to the famous Dynamo Kiev (Hearts were in the First Division at the time]. One of the St.Johns Ambulance guys was a Hearts fan and used to travel in on our bus and go and do his medical duties at the match. Well this game it turned out he was the only one who was there at the start, so he asked me to help him out. I recall going into an office in the stand to help him collect the stretcher and other stuff and it was packed floor to ceiling with brown packets which turned out to be unsold programmes. He opened a few and gave me about half a dozen copies of programmes from previous seasons. We walked down the tunnel past the away dressing room (I recall hearing this weird language emanating from it) and along the track to his usual spot where we sat on a bench. During the game – it had been raining – the ball rolled out in my direction, I kicked it back to a Kiev player who mis-controlled it and ended up kicking it back in my direction hitting me and splattering me and the programme with mud. He said something in Russian, an apology I presume, and took the throw in. It turned out to be the great Oleg Blokhin. I still have the programme with mud stains, I’ll never part with it! 30 years ago, blimey.............
badhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
Post subject:

My first game was Bristol Rovers v Leeds United 23/9/61. Rovers won 4-0 and this win was the last time that we beat Leeds!
My dad didn't buy a programme, but I was given a poor condition copy by a friend a few years later. Subsequently bought a good condition copy.
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

My first game was Ashford Town v Charlton Athletic, a pre-season friendly for the opening of the Homelands in 1989/90 season. Ashford beat a strong Charlton team, then in top flight 2-0. My dad does have the programme.

My first Leeds game was in in Feb 1992 at Elland Road against Notts County, Leeds won 3-0, David Batty scored.... A rarity in itself! I have the programme...

Good thread this... Smile

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
nozer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 pm 
Post subject: First game.

Although not the first game i had been to ( i had attended a couple of Liverpool Second Division fixtutes 60/61 season with a school mate and his pater, recall one game in perticulary v Huddersfield has we were both excited at the prospect of seing the great Denis Law ,but he signed for Man/City a couple of days befor game also Town had a wing-half that stuck in my mind called Bill McGarry has i also had an uncle with the same name.
But the game i recall mostly from this era was Evertons opening fixture of the 61/62 season v Aston Villa who had a young center-forward makeing his Football League debute for them a certain Derek Dougan with Yul Brynner hair cut et-al and just fell in love with his style of c/f play.
I became a big fan of his there after and still collect memorabilia re him to this day ( The wife thinks there is somthing wrong with me) , and yes i still have the prog from that fixture that was played on a gloreous suney August afternoon.
seand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

Dundalk v Shamrock Rovers 1985 or so, I have the programme now but didn't get one at the time! My Dad wouldn't be a huge soccer fan but he brought me along sporadically for a couple of seasons until i was old enough to go with school friends or on my own.

I later repaid him by getting him a season ticket in 2004 when Dundalk were unspeakably, unbelievably terrible. I still drag him along for a bit of bonding a couple of times a season. Hopefully I'll be introducing my boys (age 3 and 1) to the joys of Oriel Park over the next few seasons.

Funny I don't really have an emotional attachment to that particular programme- I didn't get it at the game, only 20+ years later.
pnefan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

First home game

PNE V DONCASTER 1971 won 4-0

Purchased the programme last year - luckily a cheapy .

Can't remember first away game but i do remember going to Crewe in an FA Cup tie and the 2nd replay at Anfield - 1976 i think .

First neutral game was either

Blackburn v Hull mid 70's 1-0 to Rovers - had a PNE badge on in Rovers end - kept getting 'dirty ' looks all afternoon ! Seen programme not got it .

Or Bolton v Fulham to see Marsh Moore and Best - 2-1 to Bolton i think . Not got - if anyone has it i'd be interested must be 76 -78 ish

Or Chorley v Wimbledon - got programme
stingray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 pm 
Post subject:

Arsenal v. Sunderland 18th October 1980 - the first of thirteen Arsenal games my Dad took me to (living in Bedfordshire, going on my own was never an option) and I would always staple my ticket inside the front cover (West Stand Upper Tier £4 Crying or Very sad )

Inevitably I threw them out many years later, but subsequent games involving Barnet and now Leighton Town and other local sides prompted me to seek out replacements, although in not quite such good condition.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm 
Post subject:

First game was as a 7 year old and was a preseason friendly Crystal Palace v Arsenal at the National Sports Centre in summer of 1970. My dad took me and i didn't even know there were programmes. It seemed like a big crowd at the time as the stadium was full but later found out the capacity was only about 4 and half thousand so not such a big crowd after all.

So didn't have the programme at the time but got it many years later and also got with the programme several newspaper cuttings with match reports, many of which mentioned fighting in the crowd of which I have no recollection. However it does explain why I wasn't allowed to go to matches on my own at the time.

It was in fact a few years later in mid 70s before I started getting into programmes and even took out the programme subscription in 1976 using my (limited) pocket money. The wonders of youth.
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

A Limerick home game in March or April 1971. I attended a few towards the end of the season and do/did have the programme but no longer know which was my first as I replaced those I wrote all over in crayon with better copies. I was 4 but wish I'd kept the original ones.

When I started collecting aged 12 I looked after stuff better.
LCFCmatt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

My first game was Leicester City V Man Utd in November 1984.
As an 11 year old in the Kop end, the attendance of just under 24,000 made the atmosphere electric and something I had never experienced before.....despite losing 2-3 I was hooked.
A certain Mr Lineker scored for us that day with Ian Banks scoring the other.

I still have the programme (& used ticket) from that day. I wrote the score on the front cover so I wouldn't forget it and filled in some other scores as well.
Obviously I have since bought a mint condition copy! Cool

www.programmebinders.co.uk
Superajm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

My first game was at the start of 1977 and I have the programme but only as I have all the posh home programmes from then! Might have been Torquay but that's a guess
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 pm 
Post subject:

My first ever game was Manchester United v Coventry City on 12th September 1970 aged 11.

I can still remember the excitement of going through the turnstile at the Stretford End Paddock and buying a programme (which I still have)

United won 2-0 with firstly George Best rounding the Coventry goalkeeper to score then Bobby Charlton making it two.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: