Football Programmes Centre

A over fussy buyer ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A over fussy buyer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm 
Post subject: A over fussy buyer ?

I found this very interesting. Well worth reading for anyone thinking of restoration. Personally i think the seller is over fussy considering the rarity of the programme, but each to their own. I think a £2000 price tag is wishful thinking, but the small restoration on this programme would not put me off bidding. ( if i could afford it).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1922.....921wt_1271
markb9060

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: A over fussy buyer ?

Wullie wrote:
I found this very interesting. Well worth reading for anyone thinking of restoration. Personally i think the seller is over fussy considering the rarity of the programme, but each to their own. I think a £2000 price tag is wishful thinking, but the small restoration on this programme would not put me off bidding. ( if i could afford it).

This is the type of seller who I prefer to buy from. Not only has he admitted that the programme has faults, he has also given a bit of background to the item.

I can totally sympathise with him especially as has so blatantly been wronged by some immoral and greedy tow rag !

Funnily enough, a similar thing happened to me a few years ago when I purchased a 1911 Aston Villa v Man Utd programme. On this occasion, the greedy seller didn`t mention the programme`s (somewhat expert) restoration in the advert. Amazingly I resold it (mentioning all it`s flaws) at a handsome profit only because Mr Greedy hadn`t advertised it proffesionally enough in the first place using poor search words etc.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 am 
Post subject:

I think all sellers should state if a programme has been restored, that is true. But it would really scare me to sell a programme of this rarity, because of over fussy nit pickers. We all know the type. Like i forgot to mention the 2mm crease on page 7, or the 1mm rust mark on the team line ups page .
markb9060

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 am 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
I think all sellers should state if a programme has been restored, that is true. But it would really scare me to sell a programme of this rarity, because of over fussy nit pickers. We all know the type. Like i forgot to mention the 2mm crease on page 7, or the 1mm rust mark on the team line ups page .

I agree with you on minor faults and sometimes we have to remember what these programmes have been through age and handling wise.

Personally, when ever I have sold programmes in the past I have been over critical...that`s just me (doesn`t mean to say I`ve never missed anything !) but I don`t expect that off others and try to be lenient (also I have never left a negative)

At the end of the day, if you were to be totally honest with most 100 year old programmes, you would end up describing a very tatty old thing.

However, restoration is a different thing altogether and to not mention it (or to pretend you hadn`t noticed) borders on cheating and misleading the buyer in my opinion
Fishy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 am 
Post subject:

Must admit that I'm with you on this one Mark as any buyer would now find it very hard to be 'fussy' and will have purchased it after reading an excellent description.

As for the price - I have no idea as it is not my area of collecting (although I'm learning fast), but good luck to him!
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am 
Post subject:

I've bought quite a few programmes from Rafferty recently and I find his descriptions overly critical.
I looked at the programme and I couldn't see the repair either.
His original description was:

fa cup final @ Stamford Bridge Chelsea 29/4/1922

preston north end v huddersfield town

original not a copy for age in good conditon rust on staples creasing slight center crease handling marks slight horizontal crease small rust marks right hand side handling marks wear on crease gack small holes on wear

I also noticed that he bought it OFF ebay as the item was ended as now not for sale.
My symapathies edge to Rafferty here, although there is no excuse for ignoring a message.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Post subject:

Sometimes people can do themselves out of a sale by over describing an item. I bought a pre war Spurs 4 page off someone on Ebay. He listed a number of faults, and when it arrived, i am not kidding it was almost mint. I sent a message to him, saying he was overcritical. His response was he had so many petty complaints in the past, this is now what he did.
I have also bought programmes from Rafferty before, and he has been fine. I also have bit of sympathy with him here, as looking at the programme, it has hardly had anything major work done to it. Again each to his own.
One thing i notice, is this seller is one of those who likes to give a life story, and tell everyone he bought a similar programme for £100000000 three years ago and sold it last year for £100000001.
I never see the point of telling us what a programme was worth two or three years ago and sticking a reserve on it, in the hope you can get the same today. This is todays market not yesterdays.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:43 am 
Post subject:

I have dealt with Rafferty a few times and nearly always found their programmes better condition than the descriptions may suggest. Although the non-response is a bit naughty for such an expensive item but overall he/she is a very honest and decent seller.

I also notice that Rafferty had this up for buy it now at £1550 and thus as it was bought offline then likely some kind of deal was done so likely the purchase price was below £1500. So in reality it is more likely that the current seller is simply looking to make a quick profit and the rest of the text is just trying to make an excuse for why an item has resurfaced so quickly. It seems as if trying to head off any accusations of shill biddling although there is no reason to believe that has happened.

Interesting this garyrochdale ebayer is one of the ebay IDs that featured in one of our previous threads about shill bidding involving historic_collectables/vintage_collectables etc so maybe some caution is warranted when bidding on items from him if any of that other thread has substance to it.
martino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
I have dealt with Rafferty a few times and nearly always found their programmes better condition than the descriptions may suggest. Although the non-response is a bit naughty for such an expensive item but overall he/she is a very honest and decent seller.

I also notice that Rafferty had this up for buy it now at £1550 and thus as it was bought offline then likely some kind of deal was done so likely the purchase price was below £1500. So in reality it is more likely that the current seller is simply looking to make a quick profit and the rest of the text is just trying to make an excuse for why an item has resurfaced so quickly. It seems as if trying to head off any accusations of shill biddling although there is no reason to believe that has happened.

Interesting this garyrochdale ebayer is one of the ebay IDs that featured in one of our previous threads about shill bidding involving historic_collectables/vintage_collectables etc so maybe some caution is warranted when bidding on items from him if any of that other thread has substance to it.

Good spot goonerboy. Sharing this detail for the benefit of all is one of the good things about this forum.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: