Football Programmes Centre

1956 scottish cup final-Hearts v Celtic reprints
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1956 scottish cup final-Hearts v Celtic reprints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorgie JT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 am 
Post subject: 1956 scottish cup final-Hearts v Celtic reprints

Recently noticed a few of these reprints coming up on e-bay.
What year were they reprinted ?

and how do you tell the difference between a reprint and the original?

Same goes for the Hearts v Motherwell 1954 league cup final Thumbs Up
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 am 
Post subject: programmes

There's a lot of older Scottish big match - especially Celtic - coming up on ebay nowadays. Haven't seen any, but reprints will be done on new paper, it would be fairly easy to spot the difference if you know what the originals are like.
goodison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 am 
Post subject:

I've purchased a couple of the reprints from big match Celtic games in the 1930s and it's really easy to tell they're reprints. As John said quality of paper, but also team changes are copied from the original and there's no way you would think they were genuinely written on, also one of them has a heavy fold copied yet the paper is perfect. Only cost me £1-2 each so thought it was worth it as unlikely to ever afford the originals. Maybe thats not the ones you mean though.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:06 am 
Post subject:

There was a Hearts Memorabilia pack issued some 15 years ago now, which included reprints of the 54 League Cup and 56 Scottish Cup Final’s. The pack also included a reprint of the Tommy Walker Tribute booklet, a copy of an old player contract, reprint of a poster from a Hearts v Hibs game in 1909 etc.

I would assume this is the reason why there are a few reprints in existence. The 56 Cup Final is fairly easy to spot given the better quality paper (and feint creases which you can see on the cover), the 54 one at first glance looks very convincing but again the lack of creases, nice shiney staple, and slightly better quality paper should be a give away. I’m sure it also has a team change reproduced as well.
Gorgie JT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers guys ,didnt know there were reprints of the 56 cup final till it popped up on e-bay,the 54 final is listed nearby as well.

The Hearts memorabilia pack explains that one though .
goodison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

Celtic released a memorabilia pack as well, contents described here - http://www.celticcollectorsclub.co.uk/memorabiliapack2.htm
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 pm 
Post subject: Hearts v Celtic 1956 Cup Final reprints

Very easy to spot, and the 54 Cup Final is yellow NOT red, am against this carry on but a suppose a few people who cant afford the proper programme would be quite happy buying it. HAPPINESS IS BEING A JAMBO.
Gorgie JT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

So these reprints that are kicking about originate from official club sources?

or have some been knocked up in someones shed?
Henryheart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Gorgie JT wrote:
So these reprints that are kicking about originate from official club sources?

or have some been knocked up in someones shed?

The Memorabilia Pack is "An officially approved product by Heart of Midlothian FC", and a rather nice item it is too. The copies are blatantly obvious, including Celtic team changes and the result and scorers completed in the centre pages. Likewise, the 1954 Final has Adie scored out of the Hearts team and replaced by a handwritten McKenzie. Once again, it's clearly a copy. The only obvious pointer with the Tommy Walker souvenir (another e bay favourite) is the fresh white paper - nothing like the original.

Whenever I see these items come up, I go mmmm, and look for the obvious clue in the sellers information... "a copy of..." Frankly, I would never buy one of these without seeing it first.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: