Football Programmes Centre

Club Histories
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Club Histories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 am 
Post subject: Club Histories

I know they're not programmes, but I'm always on the lookout for books detailing club histories, from private printing to the likes of Breedon's Complete Record sets. Doesn't matter how obscure the club is as long as it's in good nick, and if hardback, with a dustjacket in good nick.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Was looking though ebay todayand there are a fair few of these listed at the moment.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

There is a book by David France detailing Everton's history through memorabilia.

He amased a collection worth over £1million which included the first ever programmes for St Domingo (Everton), Newton Heath (Man Utd), Liverpool etc...

http://www.merseyshop.com/prod.....arch_term=

Here is a transcript of the book...

Quote:
The Everton collection is regarded as the finest compilation of football memorabilia in the world. Featuring some of the rarest football treasures, the 10,000 artefacts chronicle the pedigree of Everton Football Club from the very roots of the club's existence to the present day as well as the history of Merseyside and global football.
mancitymark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

Farewell to Maine Road the Official History of Manchester City's Grounds by Gary James has become an extremely collectable City football book with copies starting price at around £150-£200 !!

Yes I have a copy Very Happy
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm 
Post subject: books

Was at the first big car boot sale in the area on Sunday, but nothing to add to the collection. Easter's usually a good time as people have read the books they got at Xmas and are looking to get shut. Can usually pick up a number of good books for about the £1 mark, that cost between £16.99 and £18.99 brand new just a few months beforehand.
Don't pay a lot for books, and most I've paid recently was about £40 each for (1) Volume 4 of Association Football and the men who made it 1906, and (2) Chelseas, a Complete Record Breedon Books (most retailers who have it, have it listed at about £120 plus) Again, it goes to show that a spot of judicious buying can be really money saving - however, it doesn't set a benchmark for others of the same.
In the last week or so I've bought some programmes off ebay that have been ridiculously cheap - the latest was Loco Leipzig v Spurs UEFA semi for £26. Normally goes for £60-£80.
anorak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

There's some silly prices being asked for on ebay - although in some cases people will pay them ! (£200 for the Gillingham history' home of the shouting men' or something like that)

I like the smaller club histories - particularly those on Yorkshire clubs (Wooldale Wanderers, hebden Royd Red Star and the like !) - although the ones I've collected thus far are quite diverse - 2 thin volumes on the history of Leyton FC, Dukinfield Town, Colne Dynamoes, Croydon Common (not so small), the many publications that Stewart davidson put out in Scotland, etc etc.

I've also got all (bar one) of the 'essential' club histories that WHSmith/headline put out a few years back, these seem to be getting collectable.

I also collect club histories of athletic clubs - which are even rarer and very obsecure in some cases !

Maybe we could have a section on book wants / sales on here !
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 pm 
Post subject: books

Good suggestion from Anorak. How about a special book / handbook section?
anfieldpurch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

i have a grantham town book of history of them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Wants List
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am 
Post subject:

Just seen this Auchinleckian mate,

Tranmere Rovers: The Complete Record
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:37 am 
Post subject: Club Histories.

Does anyone know if there is Complete Record Books re Portsmouth & Peterborough United.Thanks.
coolascustard

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 pm 
Post subject:

Check on waterstones website there are one for each club on there dont know if its what your looking for.
andyfromboston

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: Club Histories.

Molineux Phil wrote:
Does anyone know if there is Complete Record Books re Portsmouth & Peterborough United.Thanks.

There is one for Posh, it usually goes for about £25, my mate has a spare if you are interested.
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:00 am 
Post subject: Club Historys.

coolascustard wrote:
Check on waterstones website there are one for each club on there dont know if its what your looking for.
Thanks but nothing of interest on there for me.
boris

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

There's a new Oxford United Complete Record being published by Breedon in August, and a new Oxford United: On This Day published by Pitch Publishing, out in September.
seand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

PM me if you're interested in Irish club history books, I have a pretty definitive list and should be able to source at least some of them
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: