Football Programmes Centre

Overpriced postage quotes?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Overpriced postage quotes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floor Pie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject: Overpriced postage quotes?

I won a item on ebay from south africa which was quoted as $25, the item was only $1 Laughing but it was a unique world cup item i wanted.
The seller then contacted me a couple of days after i paid saying he has got the postage wrong and it will be a further $5.90 which i can send via paypal, If i dont wish to pay it he will refund me, Hmmmmmm
I really wanted the item and didnt want to lose out so i paid, i thought poor old seller is quite new to ebay and would of made a $4.90 loss even though its his fault and i have done my part in the sale.. i Recieved the item and the postage works out as $13!!!!!!!! No
I know you have to take in to account the packaging which lets say is $2 max, i feel robbed know, its not alot of money but its the princible and what a cheek to ask for more.
holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:19 pm 
Post subject: Postage

Ive just received an item off eBay £3 postage and only sent first class in a standard brown envelope no board nothing! No
citydeano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 am 
Post subject:

Its always great though when you pay £2-3 inc P+P for a programme and turns up the next day and has been sent special delivery for £4.95.
dj0505

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Post subject:

Over pricing to the huge degrees mentioned is of course not acceptable.

But the trend for buyers to expect 1st class postage, immediate despatch in taped up new boarded envelopes at just the "Postage" cost is pretty unfair on the sellers IMO.

Theres no account given for the cost of the envelope, tape, time involved in the packing and running to the PO, or even the cut paypal take on postage element incl in the payment.

Sure the seller has a responsibility to pack the item securely, but the expectations of some buyers are rediculous on times.
banleystowles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

dj0505 wrote:

But the trend for buyers to expect 1st class postage, immediate despatch in taped up new boarded envelopes at just the "Postage" cost is pretty unfair on the sellers IMO.

Theres no account given for the cost of the envelope, tape, time involved in the packing and running to the PO, or even the cut paypal take on postage element incl in the payment.

Sure the seller has a responsibility to pack the item securely, but the expectations of some buyers are rediculous on times.

I absolutely agree with all of this, you can also include cost of printing an invoice to to the cost of postage. My seller rating is currently "below standard" due to whingers leaving low star rating for postage costs. I offer a very cheap postal service on ebay Confused
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

dj0505 wrote:

I also fully agree with this. My aim is never to gain on P&P, but there are many that do. I always try and recycle and reuse the packaging/hard backed envelopes etc, thus keping the costs down to a minimum.

I once purchased some mid 90s progs and contacted the seller if his quote for P&P was correct..... i was worried that he had considerably under estimated the costs, although I never mentioned this initially. He replied to me and basically accused me of wanting the items for nothing Shocked . When i pointed out my concerns, he still wouldnt listen, stating that he was the seller and he knew how much it cost to send items Surprised . Anyway, the items came and it had cost hime over double the P&P that he had quoted Shake . Being the sort of person I am, i sent him the difference via paypal Smile ...................................................... he then had the gall to email me back saying that I should have used the Paypal GIFT facility
Mad .
oldbolt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm 
Post subject:

A lot of ebayers expect the postage cost to be the same as the value of the stamps.If it's higher they will mark down on postage costs.It might not be right but that's how it is.The way round it is to have the postage at cost of the stamps but increase the auction starting price.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELL.....27c92675ad

£3.80 to post an item 6cm x 6cm . No Thanks
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

One of my all time favourites was when I purchased 6 early 70s progs (all the same club and very thin and light) at 99p each. Postage was £1.40 each. I asked him if he was gpoing to combine the postage and the kind chap knocked the 40p of each pound and charged me £6. I informed him that I thought that it was still a little excessive and would he be sending them individually. I received no reply and received the progs all in the same envelope (not board backed) with a first class stamp on. He had the cheek to email me a couple of months later offering me other programmes, I replied with something along the lines that although he had a few I wanted, I couldnt afford his postage rates (quoting the earlier transaction)......he never replied!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 pm 
Post subject: postage

Like Holtie, I've had a small number of people who've tried ripping me off with postage recently. I leave a score of 1 on their feedback, and explain that I've been ripped off with excessive postage costs. It only takes 2 of those to trigger a response from ebay to the vendor.
What you can do as well, is to send an envelope with nothing in it, but addressed to the vendor some time after you've had your package. Don't put a stamp on it and post it. Most folk who buy and sell items wouldn't forego the chance of it not being important, and would therefore pay the £1 plus cost to the sorting office to receive their worthless envelope. Cool
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject: Re: postage

Auchinleckian wrote:
Like Holtie, I've had a small number of people who've tried ripping me off with postage recently. I leave a score of 1 on their feedback, and explain that I've been ripped off with excessive postage costs. It only takes 2 of those to trigger a response from ebay to the vendor.
What you can do as well, is to send an envelope with nothing in it, but addressed to the vendor some time after you've had your package. Don't put a stamp on it and post it. Most folk who buy and sell items wouldn't forego the chance of it not being important, and would therefore pay the £1 plus cost to the sorting office to receive their worthless envelope. Cool

Thats a good idea John......has anyone ever done that to you by the way?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm 

Not me old bean. Did you go to the Grimsby Borough friendly the other night? I had a trip down for it, given the historical nature of the game - first time the Mariners have ever played a proper Grimsby non league team in Grimsby.

Made the trip worthwhile by going to Premier Fisheries down Riby Street and bringing back 1 stone of haddock (only 12 fillets, so over 1lb each!) at £2.68 per lb; 8 fillets (just over 1/2 stone) of natural oak smoked haddock
at £3.69 per lb; and 4 fillets of hake, which all weighed in at over 2lb per fillet - they were f***ing enormous! Took a couple of large freezer boxes down with me so car didn't smell all the way home!

Going to Southport as well, for opening game of the season as Auchinleck are still involved with the Sectional League Cup then. Will be overnighting at Barrow as well for the midweek game in September. Watching them more now than I ever did as a league team since moving to Scotland 21 years back.
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Certainly did go to the Borough / Town game and I got the last programme that was on sale to the public (would have got two just in case barralad didnt get one). One of Boroughs officials was walking around with a few in his hand but they were for directors etc...apparently).

The bit in the prog about Town playing a friendly in grimsby for the first time got me confused a little. They played Grimsby Amateurs (88/9) and the previous incarnation of Grimsby Borough (89/0) ...both games played at Littlefields Club. Both clubs were members of the Lincs League at the time so not sure if that counts.

Nice bit about the fish....dont they have the same quality in scotland Laughing

Me and a mate are hopefully going to Southport and staying over and going on the ale, should be a good day.....even moreso if we get the three points.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm 
Post subject: programmes

I got a programme fro Barralad. Got 5 upon entry. One of them's on ebay at the moment!
If you're staying over at Southport is that the Friday or the Saturday? Am probably going down on Friday, maybe taking the good lady as well. If you're going out for a few beers could meet up...

Fish is pish in Scotland, unfortunately. It's the only thing I miss about Grimsby though!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

Tintowner wrote:

Nice bit about the fish....dont they have the same quality in scotland Laughing

They do, but not in Ayrshire. Mind you, they do the best deep fried Mars bars in the UK Thumbs Up
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:08 pm 

...but I live in sunny Dumfries and Galloway. Majority of fish sold in Grimsby is transported down overnight from Peterhead and Aberdeen. Ironic somewhat, for me to be driving back up to Scotland with it from Grimsby.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: postage

Auchinleckian wrote:
...but I live in sunny Dumfries and Galloway. Majority of fish sold in Grimsby is transported down overnight from Peterhead and Aberdeen. Ironic somewhat, for me to be driving back up to Scotland with it from Grimsby.

Ah same difference Wink

Fife also has some fine fish and chip shops, particulary in the East Neuk Nod
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51 am 
Post subject:

...thing is, you make they're good in comparison to other Scottish chippies! Having been brought up in Grimsby where they had the best chippies in the world, and you could buy jumbo haddock (12 ounce fillest) it's heaven and earth difference to their Scots counterparts.

Once stopped in C*mnock on the way back from Ayr, having had some young people for a night out. Stopped at the chippy there and they deep fried their pizzas.......
dj0505

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm 
Post subject:

oldbolt wrote:
A lot of ebayers expect the postage cost to be the same as the value of the stamps.If it's higher they will mark down on postage costs.It might not be right but that's how it is.The way round it is to have the postage at cost of the stamps but increase the auction starting price.

Thats all good and well but by doing so the seller then incurs higher listing and final value fees.

The way round it is for buyers to be more reasonable with their demands.
Floor Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:55 pm 
Post subject:

Well after speaking to the seller he reason was that his nearest post office is 25 Miles away! So it was covering Fuel costs Sherlock
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: