Football Programmes Centre

Advice wanted re sticky labels!!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Advice wanted re sticky labels!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herdwicksheep

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:10 pm 
Post subject: Advice wanted re sticky labels!!

I have just bought a load of programmes and some of them have obviously been bought at a car boot sale/jumble sale and they have a little sticker on with a price on it . They seem to have been on for a long time and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to remove them without damaging the programme or is it an imposibility?
They are not expesive or partically old, just are what i was wanting to collect and just would like them clean fronted if possible.
progs are 70s and early 80s for the type of paper if that helps at all

Thanks in advance
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:19 pm 
Post subject: programmes

There's lots of remedies that aren't particularly useful, and end up with programmes being ruined. I suggest you google "sellotape removal from paper" or some such like and you'll find no end of theories, some more plausible than others.
I'm currently awaiting a delivery of De Solv It which claims to be able to do what you want to do, and another white spirit based liquid that takes off any residual stickiness, as I'm aiming to cut down on the expense of sending more valuable programmes off for such remedial work.
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 pm 
Post subject:

It's just as well that stickers are not usually a major problem with programmes. They can be a nightmare and unless you really know what you're doing are probably best left for someone else. The products mentioned by Auchinlekian could well be the answser to the maiden's prayer. We await to hear of their efficacy John.
I also collect records, LPs mainly and often find stickers on the covers. I carefully apply a tiny amount of lighter fuel until it soaks through and generally they peel off no problemo. Most covers have a layer of cellophane and this is why it is easier on them. The little bit of cockling (ripples) soon disappears. I have not tried this in programmes yet, it might work, but the stuff that says it does what it says on the tin may be the bees knees!
Fishy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:31 pm 
Post subject:

Herdwicksheep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks. Will try some of that and see how i come on Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: