Football Programmes Centre

WEEKLY RANT THREAD
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
WEEKLY RANT THREAD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
Post subject: WEEKLY RANT THREAD

Right, I think it's time for a thread on this forum to allow us all to let off a bit of steam, you can have a rant about anything and everything, (just keep the language clean) your only allowed one rant per week...

I'll start by having a pop at all these ************ annoying sellers on Ebay who list the same 1300+ items on ebay every day, i get stuck having to shift through these no matter how i do my search whether i'm looking at stuff ending soon or whether i'm looking at the newly listed items, it has to be one of the most infuriating things i have ever had to do, just to find an item that has any interest to me, aarrrrrrggghhhhhhhh can these people be shot or locked up for a couple of days just so that i don;t have to shift through over 1300 items which for the past 2 months have been listed everyday and barely any sold, arrrrrrgghhh give up listing them or better yet slap them on ebay for 7 days and so i only shift through them once. And the ones who do the same but 3 day listings aren;t much better either, sometimes i go through 5/6 pages before i can find an item which i haven't seen for the past month listed every day arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.
Wish there was something on Ebay where you could click on an item and that item woudl never be shown again, for example if seller 28 had 5 items for sale and you never wanted to see 4 of them again you'd click on the item and they woudl never appear on your searches again, be bloody marvellous in the current situation on Ebay where the above is happening.

Searching for "(Tottenham), (Spurs)" programmes there are usually over 6000 on ebay now, if you change this to just include the ones priced at 2.50 and over you get down to 700/800
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

James, just slightly off topic for a moment, I spoke to Merseyshop and can get those programmes you wanted.

Everton vs Spurs 07/08
Everton vs Spurs 08/09
Liverpool vs Spurs 08/09

Do you still want/need the above?
James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:43 pm 
Post subject:

Barrett wrote:
James, just slightly off topic for a moment, I spoke to Merseyshop and can get those programmes you wanted.

Everton vs Spurs 07/08
Everton vs Spurs 08/09
Liverpool vs Spurs 08/09

Do you still want/need the above?

yes please mate, if you let me know the cost i'll get a cheque off to you.
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: WEEKLY RANT THREAD

James wrote:
Right, I think it's time for a thread on this forum to allow us all to let off a bit of steam, you can have a rant about anything and everything, (just keep the language clean) your only allowed one rant per week...

I'll start by having a pop at all these ************ annoying sellers on Ebay who list the same 1300+ items on ebay every day, i get stuck having to shift through these no matter how i do my search whether i'm looking at stuff ending soon or whether i'm looking at the newly listed items, it has to be one of the most infuriating things i have ever had to do, just to find an item that has any interest to me, aarrrrrrggghhhhhhhh can these people be shot or locked up for a couple of days just so that i don;t have to shift through over 1300 items which for the past 2 months have been listed everyday and barely any sold, arrrrrrgghhh give up listing them or better yet slap them on ebay for 7 days and so i only shift through them once. And the ones who do the same but 3 day listings aren;t much better either, sometimes i go through 5/6 pages before i can find an item which i haven't seen for the past month listed every day arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.
Wish there was something on Ebay where you could click on an item and that item woudl never be shown again, for example if seller 28 had 5 items for sale and you never wanted to see 4 of them again you'd click on the item and they woudl never appear on your searches again, be bloody marvellous in the current situation on Ebay where the above is happening.

Searching for "(Tottenham), (Spurs)" programmes there are usually over 6000 on ebay now, if you change this to just include the ones priced at 2.50 and over you get down to 700/800

I know what you mean. There is currently someone who has put the same 10 or so Grimsby programmes on e-bay every two days for about 4 months. Obviously none have sold. At what point does he/she just decide that they'd be better off using them to line the gerbils cage with
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:54 pm 
Post subject:

Wave Whilst i feel for you a little bit - i do list about 2000 items which is growing all the time and is on a loop to be relisted every 3 days. A number of these sell each time (about 50 a week) so its well worth my while listing them. All my items are listed within seconds of each other though so you could quickly flick over my listings if sorted by time!

Sorry though!!
paulo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

Its all because ebay started allowing people to list 99p or below for free.

Personally I hope they stop it as Ebay is just like a jumble sale now! Mad
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:08 pm 
Post subject: rant.....................ebay/paypal

if only ebay was like a jumble sale, what started as a brilliant way to get shot of that old duffle coat your uncle bought for you in 1954 has now turned into a well greased rip-off machine, i hate ebay and paypal with a vengance, but there is nothing else anywhere in the world like it. going off the 2000 prog thing for a second why do i have to accept paypal? if i want to be paid in horse dung or marbles that should be my choice not some meglamaniac sitting in his office in the good ol' us .of a. before i buy on ebay i always ask if i can pay by cheque or postal order, i bought a ticket from france last week and sent cash rather than use paypal, i know i had no protection but it was only £2.50. SO ASK BEFORE YOU BUY, DO YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART FROM PAYPAL? IF NO! THEN DON'T BUY. do not feed the machine that is trying to enslave us.
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: rant.....................ebay/paypal

arsenal288 wrote:
why do i have to accept paypal? if i want to be paid in horse dung or marbles that should be my choice not some meglamaniac sitting in his office in the good ol' us .of a. before i buy on ebay i always ask if i can pay by cheque or postal order, i bought a ticket from france last week and sent cash rather than use paypal, i know i had no protection but it was only £2.50. SO ASK BEFORE YOU BUY, DO YOU TAKE ANYTHING APART FROM PAYPAL? IF NO! THEN DON'T BUY. do not feed the machine that is trying to enslave us.

I have sent off many cheques in the past and have been very dissapointed with the speed it takes to get my item (if it ever does arrive). So making paypal compulsory was good for me as it speeds up the payment process and I can get my item quicker plus I find it much more reassuring by paying with paypal rather than cheques. I understand that a seller wants a right to be payed as he or she wants to be payed but as a buyer I want the right to pay for an item as I want to. Before paypal was made compulsory I used to stay away from the items that did not accept paypal so now that paypal has been made compulsory I can buy whatever item I want which has helped my collection significantly.
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 pm 
Post subject: paypal/ebay thieves

i think that your missing the point, as you said 'making it compulsary'...that is my point! crash helmets & seat belts are compulsary for a good reason, they save lives. ebay making/forcing people to use paypal when they don't want to is nothing short of blackmail,a money spinner. YOU USE PAYPAL OR YOU DON'T USE EBAY...end of story, no consultation, no vote ,no referendum(sounds like our un-elected prime minister)like it or lump it. all i want is the choice because i hate being ripped off and can do f-all about it except capitulate and pay the thieving buggers their ransom/extortion money.
jonnyp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: paypal/ebay thieves

arsenal288 wrote:
i think that your missing the point, as you said 'making it compulsary'...that is my point! crash helmets & seat belts are compulsary for a good reason, they save lives. ebay making/forcing people to use paypal when they don't want to is nothing short of blackmail,a money spinner. YOU USE PAYPAL OR YOU DON'T USE EBAY...end of story, no consultation, no vote ,no referendum(sounds like our un-elected prime minister)like it or lump it. all i want is the choice because i hate being ripped off and can do f-all about it except capitulate and pay the thieving buggers their ransom/extortion money.

I agree with this. Sick of paypal fees and indeed ebay final value fees aswell. Becoming a total rip off
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

How come when given the choice of ,payment between paypal & the others, do buyers chose paypal? Its because it is a much safer way of payment which gives buyers a peace of mind rather than the other methods of payment which are comparably less safer. My point it is compulsory for a reason because to make transactions safer for the buyer. As you said there was no referendum/consultation etc but if there was to be one i am sure most/all sellers would be against and most buyers would be for it. I agree that paypal fees are unfair but so are most things in life regarding money. Ebay and paypal have found another way to extract money from a growing market but there is almost no chance of it being changed unless there is a mass exit of sellers which would lead to you losing money.
matt blue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

To be honest, when I now sell i tend to ask for paypal via gift....i totally ignore using the send invoice lark....fed up of getting stung twice with fees !!
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:46 pm 
Post subject:

i had a massive argument with paypal when i was robbed by a geezer in the u.s.a., as usual paypal said they would investigate, they did'nt all they did was clean out my account, but it left me owing them £17...so i cancelled my debit & credit cards and told them to go whistle dixie for the money, the thief in americe now had my programme and his money back and i had jack shit for my troubles unless the p.o. decided to refund me( to their credit,they did) so i paid paypal the oustanding balance and we are back in business, but my point is they were shown an email from the thief, saying that the address he had given me was'nt a safe address, but, they did'nt INVESTIGATE...they just took my money and did'nt give a hoot about me, what does that tell their customers.
ebay and paypal should not be able to work in tandem, the monopoly's commission should put an end to this debacle.
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

i can't wait for the day when a 'rich' person takes ebay to court for
lifting an item because they refused to take paypal. it gonna have to be a mega rich person to drag ebays arses through the legal system. what we need is chelsea to put drogba up for sale, cash or postal orders or bankers draught....NO PAYPAL. then watch abramovich do the business on the rotten gits.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:00 pm 
Post subject: ebay

I had a similar rant about this months ago on here, and how ebay was being detrimental to the normal method of programme collecting. It's big business, it doesn't give a shit about what you collect, or why you collect it, as long as they can extract as much money from you as quickly as possible.
There is another way though, and one which has been showing increasing signs of popularity over the last 8 or 9 months. Hey presto, Programme Fairs! You can look, touch, ask questions, pay cash, meet other like minded folk, and not get frustrated at the mind numbing monotony of ebay, where there is jackshit accountablility.
It's all very well folk saying that they can buy things cheaper off ebay. The reality is that they can't, it's a con. Fees, postage costs, all add up. Yes, you'll get the odd bargain, just as I do on a regular basis (I know, I'm sad) but will you really enhance your collection with all the rarities that everyone's chasing by using ebay? Not a cat in hell's chance! Only place you'll do that, like it or not, is either via dealers or fairs. Not only do you get the common courtesy that a computer can't give you, you can usually tap into a ealth of knowledge about how to obtain a programme if the dealer / stallholder doesn't have it themselves.
I've seen a big turn around in the three fairs I've done this calendar year, and there's no doubt in my mind that people are starting to frequent them again, and buy. It's like a lot of other things during a recession, people look for tried and trusted methods. Trouble is, people need to keep going to ensure that folk will keep turning up with the goods to sell. Get along and support your nearest, next, fair.
This site as well, offers collectors a real opportunity to purchase programmes by it's very simplicity, and should be applauded for that. It's a real gem in the programme world. I've made some very good contacts on here, and even managed to do some very good exchanges, something that the advertisers in Programme Monthly never seemed to want to do. But it's great when you can pick up the odd elusive item in exchange rather than constantly laying out cash, it's what collecting's all about.
Anything new on Thatcher?
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

Without ebay I wouldn't have half the amount of programmes that I currently have. Although programme fairs are very good to buy from they do not happen every day and I dont have the time to travel miles up north to get to one. That is why ebay is widely used and will be continued to be used. Ebay and paypal may take a significant proportion from your profits but you still are making a profit. If you want to counteract the fees just raise the price of the postage slightly. Or if you are completely against ebay/paypal dont use it.
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

i have to say, i do agree with Auchinleckian, because its so easy to
sit in front of your comp and stare at ebay morning/noon/night
people did stop going to fairs, but i also think that they are on the
up in numbers compared to 2/3 years ago. collectors are fed up with being sold 'mint' condition programmes and tickets to find out when they turn up, writing/tears/folds/stains and all manner of problems....at a fair all this is laid to one side, you can see it, feel it, smell it and talk about it in depth, if you so please....what more could you want? re-instate the fairs to their former glory's.
Dellboye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

I would much rather go to a programme fair and spend a litle bit extra for mint programmes but if i was to wait for every fair to happen it would take me years to complete my collection whereas with ebay it could be done within 2 years. If fairs happened a lot more often I would save up to spend my money at fairs rather than ebay.
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 am 
Post subject:

Programme fairs are great..........if you want 60's and before! For relatively new collectors like me dealers and e-bay represented the only real way to build up that collection. I picked up the bulk of my 80's Grimsby programmes in bulk lots often costing no more than £3-£5. I bought the whole 79/80 home programmes for £5.00 and was well chuffed with that. Even if they were on sale at a programme fair the cost would be far in excess of that figure! I look forward to the day when I can go to a fair and come away with one programme having cost me upwards of £80.00 Laughing
anfieldpurch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:49 am 
Post subject:

i am not happy at ebay either. I went to relist my games for playstation 2 AND Xbox. they refused to let me because i wouldnt let them have free P & P. It is a disgrace trying to force people to give Free Postage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: