Football Programmes Centre

arsenal accounts
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
arsenal accounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 pm 
Post subject: arsenal accounts

Great to see that the club made a profit of over 4 million and over 170 millon in their reserve
Fund.

Nice to see a club run correctly.......

I bet a lot of the premiership clubs are green with envy

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
RoddyN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 pm 
Post subject:

Whilst this is very admirable the fans must be very frustrated that a club of Arsenal's stature has been spectacularly unsuccessful over a long period of time (a decade). I am amazed that Wenger retains his job. He was terrific in the early years (1996-2004) but his judgement and performance over the last 10 years has been poor. I accept that there has been more competition and extra money in recent years but player selection(transfers)has been appalling. There is clearly a balance between financial prudence and performance but Arsenal are still punching below their weight.
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: arsenal accounts

pompeypete wrote:
Great to see that the club made a profit of over 4 million and over 170 millon in their reserve
Fund.

Nice to see a club run correctly.......

I bet a lot of the premiership clubs are green with envy

If I was paying the highest season ticket prices in the world I would want to know why my club can't compete with the top teams year after year after year..... the Bottom line for Arsenal is 4th place ,it guarantees them Champions League football and the money. The fact that they can never seriously win it is not the point for the owners . In a way , the Sunderland's , Newcastle's , Villas, etc. can never win the Premiership, but just being in the league is vital.
martino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:
Whilst this is very admirable the fans must be very frustrated that a club of Arsenal's stature has been spectacularly unsuccessful over a long period of time (a decade). I am amazed that Wenger retains his job. He was terrific in the early years (1996-2004) but his judgement and performance over the last 10 years has been poor. I accept that there has been more competition and extra money in recent years but player selection(transfers)has been appalling. There is clearly a balance between financial prudence and performance but Arsenal are still punching below their weight.

Can you define "unsuccessful"?
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Unsuccessful is being in the top three highest paid managers in the world and winning absolute nothing for nine years. Have you ever seen Sunderland thrashed 8 2 at Old Trafford ? 6 - 0 at Stamford bridge ? 5 -1 at Anfield ? Never and Wenger does it all the time. It's incredible he still has a job. If you pay top dollar you would expect top teams. The fans have been short-changed.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am 
Post subject:

Your right the fans have been short changed but they have a choice to go or not...........they know Arsenal is a business venture and has been for years..

What is the point of spending £150M of your reserves to finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd..........it dosn,t balance the expenditure.

They spend £40M on the german midfielder...........failure

So I would say Arsenal is a success, but to the fans a failure.

The Premier league is awash with sky money so why do very few clubs make a profit ??

I see in the paper dated March 2014, sunderland made a loss of £23M, why ??
And thats just to stay up......Is that their ambition ??

martino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 am 
Post subject:

Fans do not feature in the thinking of most owners - unpopular or not they know the fans will keep on coming and paying.

Qualifying for the Champions League is the primary aim for the owners and, unfortunately, you do not have to win the Premier League to achieve access to the pot of money that it brings.

I believe Wenger's record is one that most other owners would aspire to.
Replace Wenger with who? Change is unsettling - just look at Man Utd.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:11 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
Fans do not feature in the thinking of most owners - unpopular or not they know the fans will keep on coming and paying.

Qualifying for the Champions League is the primary aim for the owners and, unfortunately, you do not have to win the Premier League to achieve access to the pot of money that it brings.

I believe Wenger's record is one that most other owners would aspire to.
Replace Wenger with who? Change is unsettling - just look at Man Utd.

Oh so true, now they have spend the best part of £150 million.......just to catch up the rest
And no guarantees of success !!!!

bigearl79

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

Some of us would be happy with being in the top four leagues alone, never mind the top four in the top league every season.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

In the 1970s no one talked about money. It was all about who won the cup and who won the league. Now the only subject they talk about is money. It's depressing. I hardly watch 90 minutes of football nowadays. I find myself usually bored after first half and go off and do something else. I rarely attend a game. But to me, If I was a fan paying £2000 plus a season , to say my club has millions in the bank but are unable to compete with the very best because the manager is only interested in profits and 4th place was our only target, I'd be fuming.
But even say Sunderland with cheaper tickets , but the bottom line is avoid relegation and that's the limit of the clubs ambitions because at least the MONEY will be there for another season.... I keep thinking one day this money madness will explode in everyone's face. But look at Portsmouth and Glasgow Rangers. Fans shrug their shoulders and on it continues.
mustard68

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 pm 
Post subject: arsenal accounts

I agree with Wullie.
Top football has got depressing..
Maybe its just overkill of TV and celebrity and money.
It leaves you jaded.

There`s plenty about the 70s, I wouldn`t want to see again but I was at Lords yesterday to see Durham win. A feature of the crowd was father and son pairs. They must have got up at 4 or 5am to catch the train, getting home after midnight shattered but with plenty for the memory banks.
Thats a 70`s throwback to warm the heart.

theres an element of that nostalgia for a simpler time that provides a reason for collecting old programmes.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: