Football Programmes Centre

1927 cup final
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1927 cup final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Post subject: 1927 cup final

I met up with a friend of mine last night and got chatting about football memorabilia, he said that an elderly relative had left him a football medal, which he said belonged to Dan Lewis the Arsenal keeper in the 1927 cup finaL, I immediately asked him if it was damaged due to the story that he threw his medal against a locker, he confirmed that it was, it is inscribed but not in a case, if its genuine i would like to make him an offer for it, i do have an idea what its worth but i would like opinions from any medal collectors on this forum or Arsenal collectors, many thanks
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

Sounds a bit odd. Chatting to a mate who may have a Cup final medal. Well if it's genuine probably worth £6000 plus giving the history of the final and the famous goalkeeper mistake. You said he had a "medal " not a cup final medal , but it is damaged. I'm intrigued , wish could see it.
treble99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

because of the story and because this club has big collectors i suspect £8000 is more in line

You would however need the obvious verifications
mark01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

Shame it does not come with original box.

If it was his original FAC losers medal and taking into account the story line I would agree with somewhere between wullie and treble's estimate.

If it was a club 'souvenir' medal of the occasion then signifcantly less.

regards, Mark
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:28 pm 

Thanks for your comments, i have asked him for a photo or to meet up for a drink and he can show me then, to clear one thing up from my initial post, he did say it was his F A Cup runners up medal, and through a death of an elderly relative he has been given the medal because of his interest in footbal (we used to play in the same football team together ) thanks for your valuations, a little higher than i thought it would be worth.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:04 pm 
Post subject:

Puts you in an awkward position now you know it's true worth. I think at auction it could easily go for £6000 to £8000 ( plus fees ) . You wouldn't want to low ball the guy if he is a friend. If you made an offer of £5000 I think that would be fair , as auctions you pay fees etc. Whatever, if someone offers to buy something like this, then the potential seller would probably look on the internet for a price guide. It would be awesome to have this medal in your collection.
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:51 pm 

Hi Wullie You are spot on, i have already told him i would give a a good price for it, and as a friend the minimum i would offer is £5000, especially after you and other forum members gave their valuations, it is an iconic final and being a Welshman myself, although not a Cardiff City fan or collector i would love to own it, i am waiting for a response from him, but not heard from him yet, of course after i showed such interest in the medal when we met up on friday, he might start doing some research himself and may decide to keep it
nozer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:14 pm 
Post subject: 27 Cup Final.

Dose anyone have any info (data) on Dan in later life ,only in the mid 60s i was a keen dart player and a member of the Huyton Park dart team.

One of the "older" players often brought along his friend a frail but very tall gentelman who in conversation told me that he was The Dan Lewis whome had never been the same person after that 27 F.A. Cup Final,

I cant think of any reason why my fellow darter should spin me such a yarn unless it was true .

Anyone know if Dan moved to Liverpool or the North West in later life, my darts pal was a Welsh man named Taffy Jones so there is a conection there somewere.
This is somthing that has always intreaged me and i would appreciate any feadback on this,
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 pm 
Post subject:

All I can find out is he died in 1965 aged 62. Not an old age at all these days but 50 years ago I guess it was. Sad how it apparently affected him the rest of his life. Todays "" Superstars"" couldn't care less. They'd just be happy the season was over so they could get on their holidays.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: