Football Programmes Centre

World Cup predictor Rules
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
World Cup predictor Rules

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> The 2014 FPC FIFA World Cup Predictor Competition.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 pm 
Post subject: World Cup predictor Rules

Firstly apologies to K sutton, I did limit it to 32, and unfortunately your entry came in at No 33. Sorry, I'll have to place you on stand-by.

Rules for the Predictor

Unlike most predictors we are doing something slightly different.

I have split the entrants in 4 pots of 8.

Pot 1
gkb
Ruudvandriver
Rockyboro
Greatbarrwolf
JohnnyP
Kcs
SurfinJim
Pastpirate

Pot 2
tufcprogs
mattybatty
Sellsell39
Londonlilywhite
Bisphamseasider
Superajm
NeilP
Atletico

Pot 3
Kenners46
Robbo
Blackburncollector
Posh1959
DannyRoberts
Shotsman
Foxes1
Coolascustard

Pot 4
derby1884
gfcPaul
Wrexham
JJprogrammes
Drvonshineck
SaintClarkie
BurnleyCollector
tufcprogs

The draw will be made tomorrow morning. June 5th

Rules:
Unlike most predictors, where you have to predict the winner of the group and so on, we are doing something slightly different. We like our head to heads Laughing

Entrants will be in 8 groups of 4, (like the real thing) and will play each other once in the group stage.

Each Entrant is required to predict the scores of 16 matches for the first round of fixtures.
16 matches for the second round of fixtures and 16 matches for the third round of fixtures.

You don't have to predict all three opening rounds of fixtures (Group Stage) at the beginning. You can wait for the end of the first round of fixtures before deciding on the second round predictions and so on.

The competition is not a running total of points like most predictors.

The top two from each group will progress.

For example: group A may be:
Pastpirate (Brazil)
JJprogrammes (Croatia)
Mattybatty (Mexico)
Robbo (Cameroon)

1st round of 16 fixtures to predict (start 12th June)
pastpirate v JJprogrammes
mattybatty v Robbo

2nd Round of 16 fixtures to predict (17th June)
Pastpirate v Mattybatty
JJprgrammes v Robbo

3rd Round of fixtures to predict (23rd June)
Pastpirate v Robbo
JJprogrammes v Mattybatty

All scores must be in before the 1st fixture of that round of matches. Take care with the crossover from the 1st round of group fixtures and the start of the second, as these occur on the same day.

In the event of teams having the same number of points after the group stage, then whichever team has scored more prediction points will go through.
If still level, the head to head will come into play, if level after that the cat will get a good kicking Laughing

In an attempt to add an unlikely element, that unbelievable moment that world cups occasionally throw up, entrants wil be asked to highlight one fixture that will count treble during each fixture round of the group stages.

Obviously this has the potential to turn a result into a World Cup magical moment, think Platty against Belguim in 1990. Papa Diop against the French in 2002. Armstrong against Spain in 82, Krankl against the germans in 78, you know that kind of thing....

In the knockout stages the highlighted fixture will count double as normal.

In the first round of the knockout stages (8 matches) (28th June) it will be head to head again.

Once the competition reaches the Quarter final stage (4th July) then the remaining 8 entrants will go up against one another in a free for all and predict the remaining 8 games (QF, SF, 3/4th, Final) Winner is the one with the most.

Hope that's understandable.

Finally, as always its a bit of fun, and will help keep the interest once England have failed miserably. There is also the knowledge that your name will become etched in lore.

Finally,an additional competition, the lads from my local Junior side had a surplus golden boot so its up for grabs as a little memento in our Golden boot Competition. (See thread)[url][/url]

Last edited by sharrowblade on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

Great stuff mate but may I ask, as I was 5th to register, why I am not involved?

Cheers
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

tufcprogs wrote:
Great stuff mate but may I ask, as I was 5th to register, why I am not involved?

Cheers

You thought it couldn't get any worse after being relegated, but now this. Shocked
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

tufcprogs wrote:

Cheers

Because we don't like you Laughing

Sorry tufcprogs, i will have to do it on first come first served. Obviously in all our calculations everyone omitted myself.

I will put you in.

I don't want to throw anyone else out, so i will back down myself. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Actually I am going to do the fair thing.

Earlier in the PL season I replaced toffeedan I think and the places were between me and bisphamseasider who kindly said I could have the place which meant he only played in the Cup....

Now as a newbie I wouldn't want the organiser to miss out so if it is ok by you sharrow, I will offer my pace to you - in the same way as bispham did for me. I think in a round about way despite the initial error I think that would be the kind thing to do.

An idea though.... both sellsell39 and I had a number of friendlies late in the season (which I was the winner!!!) perhaps as you have a reserve - we could play each other in our own league...

Sharrow, you deserve to be in. So like I said, have my place and good luck. Clap
Eck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

I am doing a world cup predictor on another forum,so i'll sit this one out mate.
sellsell39

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

Sharrowblade, whilst I greatly appreciate you have done an awful lot of work to present this predictor competition for us, it does seem to be unnecessarily over-complicated.

Personally - I would like to have seen unlimited players, predict 48 group matches before Brazil v Croatia, with one bonus match per group and with one final leaderboard (ie Sharrowblade 31, GreatBarrWolf 28, tufcprogs 27, etc etc). Its so so simple.

After the group matches, we could sit back and enjoy the rest of the tournament without praying for a late Japan equaliser etc etc.

I would even go as far as saying - (to save you an enormous amount of work), each player could keep tabs on their own score and submit their total at the end. This would save you going through each players 48 predictions and working out their total score.

I hope you appreciate my honesty, and I would like to get your thoughts and I would be interested to get the thoughts of others as well.

I just want to help you.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

and that would mean sharrow, myself and k_sutton could all be involved too - and any late comers....
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:32 am 
Post subject:

arrrrhhhh, sellsell are you going to deny me the chance of my workforce pulling out the balls from 4 pots on their breaktime.
They are looking forward to it, as were my little un's as they are excited to see who they will get.

You have of course made some good points, which I will attempt to address.

Firstly, on the numbers I do feel a touch guilty, although I did say I would limit it to 32.

Secondly, To be honest there are hundreds of predictor competitions for the World Cup and they are almost exactly the same, either guess the finishing positions in the group or predict the scores for the group stages and so on, with various deviations on the scoring format.

But, all appear to have a running total system.

That's fine and no doubt some of you will play one or two of them with workmates, friends and the drunks who prop up the bar down at the local. I believe I'm in a couple of those myself.
And that doesn't include fantasy football.

What I had to consider is what works for us, and that would be different from the others.

One of the great advantages in our seasonal one is the fact that we have a chance to play each other one on one. It gives SurfinJim the chance to beat one of us Blades, it gives us a chance to beat the Leeds Crew, the chance for the top two sides to clash one on one. this format still gives us that opportunity. I'm quite sure derby1884 would love to see off Foxes1 if they drawn together. If we adopted a straight forward points total in our domestic league competition then by Week 10 half the entrants would have lost interest because they would feel they were too far behind.

I confess that there are perhaps simplier formats, and any of which I could have chosen to post a link to and away we go, but I think we would lose the personal touch as it were, if we did that.

At the moment it sounds more complicated then it really is, partly due to my long winded explanation of the rules, the bottom line is that entrants will predict the scores before each round of games, highlighting one fixture and that's basically it.

Of course, there is an element of truth in that you can predict 48 matches and then sit back and relax. (One downside I admit, will be the timescale, will be short. Same day between end of the 1st Round Fixtures and a day between the others). The gaps get a bit longer for the knockout stages.

I can see the attraction in what your suggesting, but purely only for convenience. Entrants can of course still predict the 48 group stages, the fixtures to be predicted are already up.

There is a big downside however with that system.

You are almost guessing blind for the entire competiton.

I'm edging towards the fact that most entrants don't exactly follow World Football at International level, especially non-european nations.

It will be hard enough to predict the first round games, but
the majority will have no idea what Algeria will do against Russia in the last group match at this present time.

I think its only fair that after watching the games in previous rounds entrants have to use their own judgement from what's happening right there and then, rather than guesswork 10 days previous.

Many people will watch all the games, if I've seen the first round of matches, and Honduras are playing above expectations and the French have surrendered (again), then people will have a chance to change it.

Rightly or wrongly, I thought it would be better to give people the chance to give a more accurate prediction based on what they had seen rather than pre-tournament guesswork, as we do every week in the domestic prediction League.

Secondly, entrants can afford to have a shocker after the first round of fixtures, with a running points total system, they have little or no chance of winning.
This format keeps them in the competion, much like a team in the real World Cup if they lost in the first match.

Secondly, the head to head element,.... is different, a little unpredictable, a little luck is needed as in real life, a cracking performance won't neccessary win you the points, your opponent on the day may have done better, and a poor performance may be good enough to scrape a win.

Back in 2006, I asked the lads in my local if they wanted to do fantasy football with somebody like the Daily telegraph. they were quite reluctant, they were a mix of Daily Star and The Sun 'fantasy footballers'. They loved it, fantasy football I know, but the element they loved the most was the sub competitions where they were competing against 31 others in 8 groups of four.

Just a thought. As always everybody's opinions are welcome.
sellsell39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Sharrow, thanks for taking the time to respond, you certainly go out of your way to keep your customers happy and you also make some very good points and compelling arguments.

I have re-read the rules, and I doubt if there is another prediction competition like this one, anywhere in the world today ?

Last seasons predictor competition was brilliant and like you say, we love our head-to-heads. I am really looking forward to next season.

Personally - I will probably prefer to predict all 48 matches in one go - to my own detriment maybe, but I can see the other side where players will get a feel for each teams first match performance and offer a prediction for the rest of the matches based on this.

I hope this helps, and I would welcome feedback as always.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:51 am 
Post subject:

Thank you to all those who responded, especially sellsell39, opinions are always welcome.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 am 
Post subject:

The draw was made on Thursday Morning:

Group A
Kcs
gfcPaul
atletico
DannyRoberts

Group B
Greatbarrwolf
Sharrowblade
tufcprogs
FoxesI

Group C
Rockyboro
JJprogrammes
NeilP
Kenners46

Group D
Gkb
Shotsman
Burnleycollector
Mattybatty

Group E
SurfinJim
Superajm
Drvonshineck
Robbo

Group F
Ruudvandriver
Wrexham
Sellsell39
Coolascustard

Group G
Pastpirate
Saintclarkie
Bisphamseasider
Blackburncollector

Group H
JohnnyP
Londonlilywhite
Derby1884
Posh1959

1st reserve: K.sutton
2nd reserve: Eck
| More
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> The 2014 FPC FIFA World Cup Predictor Competition. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: