Football Programmes Centre

May
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:40 pm 
Post subject:

32 years ago and the Austin Indoor Soccer 6 tournament which appears to be for Midlands clubs only and was held at the Birmingham International Arena.

The programme/brochure thing issued was A4 aize, cost £1 and its 24 pages are supplemented by numerous advertising inserts for the likes of the Austin Metro and the Metro VandenPlas.

Understated, the programme certainly isn't. In his introductory notes, Graham Kelly (remember him?) calls 6-a-side football "the most rapidly developing format of the game" and Jack Dunnett (remember him?) describes it as "a form that will delight the purist and excite the enthusiast". Hmmm. Okay. Each to their own. lads.

Each competing club gets a page to themselves, there's a page onthe rules of the game and the centre pages outline the group matches as well as an approximate timeline for the day (start at 12 noon, medal presentations at 10.30pm).

Whatever happened to these kind of tournaments? I suppose clubs' insurance brokers would baulk at those assets risking injury on such a surface?

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:37 am 
Post subject:

Another end of season final at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road but this time a Rugby League match.

This was the final of the British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) National Cup between Oldham St Annes and West Hull.

The programme is a 32 page issue, packed with reading material, which also covered a girls match between the North West and Yorkshire played before the final and included details of a rugby festival held the following day at Stanley Park.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

30 years ago and the Final of the Associate Members Cup at Boothferry Park between Hull and Bournemouth.

Bobby McNeil gave the home side an early lead but it was Bournemouth who took home the trophy with goals from Milton Graham and Paul Morrell.
6,544 in attendance.

The programme comprises 8 pages printed on amber-coloured paper and, being advert-free, seems to be a hastily compiled issue for the game.

Two pages on each team, how they got to the final and a few odds and ends covers the content but very good value for just 20p.

Looks good, too.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

Rovers have only ever played two games on this date. As the 1st one was in 1919 this is the only prog I can show for today.
Rovers v City in a Gloucester Cup Final from 1977.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 89 and a Div 3 Play of semi-final with Fulham.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

2001 was the first year the Football League play offs were played at the Millenium Stadium when Blackpool played Leyton Orient in the Division 3 final.

The programme is a 52 page issue produced by Zenith Print and Packaging of Pontypridd.

Blackpool won 4-2 after conceding within 30 seconds of the kick off due to a howler from keeper Phil Barnes.

Blackpool would visit the Millenium Stadium 2 more times in the following 3 seasons (for LDV finals) and remain undefeated at that venue.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 pm 
Post subject:

Just 7 years ago Rovers had a group of players that were willing to fight for the club (unlike the laxy arsed barstewerds we had this season). After going 1-0 down we won this game 3-1 and were promoted to League 1.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

67 years ago and the extended 46/7 season gradually coming to a close.

At Deepdale, 17,644 in attendance (not bad considering this was a Monday and it was an 11am kick-off) to watch 8th-placed Preston and 14th-placed Derby play out a 1-1 draw.

16 page programme issued. Most of the reading material concerns itself with Derby's history as well as a brief look back at how North End had fared in 46/7.

The advertising is a bit on the dull side - lots of home furnishings and vans. No pubs or breweries. A very sober lot in Preston, obviously.

ps - has that athlete on the cover only got one leg?

atletico

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 pm 
Post subject:

Both programmes for the European Cup Final.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

2007 was the first year the Football League play offs were played at the new Wembley and Blackpool played Yeovil Town in the League 1 final.

The programme is a superb 100 page issue produced by Programme Master.

Blackpool won 2-0 to achieve promotion back to the 2nd tier for the first time in 30 years.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

Another Wembley play-off final, this time from what was then Division Three in 1995.

Goals from Tony Lormor and Phil Robinson gave Chesterfield a 2-0 victory in front of 22,814.

Large 40 page programme issued. For £3.50, though, it's nothing more than a rip-off.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

10 years ago today and a low key end of season win in Tallinn courtesy of a James McFadden goal

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 pm 
Post subject:

37 years ago (1977) and a British Championship fixture between Northern Ireland and England.

The programme also covered the game against Wales on 3rd June.

England won 2-1 with goals from Channon and Tueart.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1988 and the 2nd Questembert International Youth Tournament held in the Brittany town of that name.

Eight clubs were involved - Wrexham were one of them but they seem to have pulled out at the last minute and replaced by a group of players titled "Selection".

I have two copies of this brochure - one is 20 pages in length, the other 40 pages. The latter contains team photos, tournament details etc, the shorter version, oddly enough, is almost solely advertising. The printers must have been busy as inserts with the previous day's results/tables were available for free on the day.

One of those I've scanned in along with a tournament flyer.

PS - Derby Country? Who they?

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:34 am 
Post subject:

10 years ago and the final of the British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) National Cup between Oldham St Annes and Wath Brow Hornets.

For those who haven't heard of Wath Brow, it is an old mining town about 3 miles inland from Whitehaven with a fantastic back drop of the Lakeland Fells from the club's ground.

The programme is a 24 page issue with lots of information on the 2 finalists.

The programme also covers a Women’s match between Yorkshire and England Under 21s played before the final, and the Blackpool Sevens Cup held the following day at Stanley Park.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Eventful Wembley play-off final this day 21 years ago.

After a goalless 90 minutes, Gary Swann gave York the lead in extra time before Dave McKearney equalised in the 120th minute from the penalty spot for Crewe.

The penalty shoot-out resulted in York gaining promotion, succeeding with all five spotkicks.

22,416 in attendance.

The programme is 36 pages for £3 and slightly less advertising/marketing content than issues later in the decade.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:55 pm 
Post subject:

If you had the spare cash it must have been fun following Blackpool in the 40s and 50s with the amount of overseas tours they undertook.

This tour at the end of the 1950/1 season took in 4 matches in Switzerland.

This one was against Grasshoppers (Zurich), a game which Blackpool won 4-3.

The programme is an 8 page fold out style issue and is one of the virtually impossible to find foreign tour programmes.

I did manage to obtain a full photocopy many years ago which is shown here. Apologies for not showing an original but this will probably be as close as anyone gets to seeing a programme from this tour.

There are one or two around however and if anyone has an original please let me know.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

1991 and Blackpool’s first play off final.

They met Torquay United in the Division 4 final and lost in a dreaded penalty shoot out.

How the fortunes of both clubs have changed since that meeting.

The programme is a 68 page issue which also covers the Division 3 final between Bolton Wanderers and Tranmere Rovers and the Division 2 final between Brighton and Hove Albion and Notts County.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

oh go on then-just do this one before i sign off as it will bring back those debaters of is it a worthwile programme to collect even though it was never played!.
nice trip to pusdseytoday i managed to be the first one thru the doors ran around, found few items and then back-good day Wave

https://flic.kr/p/4mHeiT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

This day in 1947 and, at long last, the conclusion of the 1946/7 season.

Mid-table battle at Fratton Park. 20,852 in attendance to see Raich Carter and Frank Broome score to earn Derby a 2-1 win.

Usual 6 page fold-out Pompey issue but on white paper as opposed to the dark blue they would get round to using.

There's an ad for a "Frigidaire" which I take to be an early version of the refrigerator. Didn't realise those were on general sale back then.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: