Football Programmes Centre

May
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

Linnet74 wrote:
Back to 1953 and Lynn travel to 'Carrot Road' to take on Gorleston in the final of The Norfolk Senior Cup.
Lynn lose 0-3 in front of a crowd of 15723.

Nice programme, wrong month Smile
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

Three years earlier, Swansea had been playing 1st division football, but by this day in 1986 they had to beat Derby to stand any chance of avoiding relegation to the 4th division.

Equally, a win for Derby would mean they just needed 2 points from their remaining 2 games to return to the 2nd division.

Just 3,974 in attendance, though, rather suggesting the Swans fans had given up the ghost. The resultant 3-0 win for the Rams confirmed that.

Standard issue from the home team though it makes, understandably, for rather pessimistic reading.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:00 pm 
Post subject:

62 years ago (1952) and a Lancashire FA Junior Cup Competition Final replay between Lancaster City and Wigan Athletic.

The match was played at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road ground, the 1st match being played at Preston’s Deepdale ground.

The programme is a single sheet with brief notes on the front and teams on the reverse.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

End of the road for the old Newport County - all that lay ahead was half a season in the Conference before they folded for good.

For this final game of the season, though they issued a superb 32 page programme split evenly between a nostalgic look back at the club's 60 years in the League (and with a great photo of the 38/9 promotion side) and an attempt to dissect what had gone wrong for the club in present times.

One of those terrific programmes that you can spend hours reading and, thanks to the internet, following up on what you've just read.

A++++ value for just a quid.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1948) and an Olympic Trial Match between ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams played at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road ground.

Both teams were managed by Matt Busby.

The programme is a standard 8 page issue in the same style as the Blackpool home programmes from that season and it is numbered 47.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1985 and Lynn visit Saffron Walden Town and a Semi final tie of the East Anglian Cup. Lynn progress to the final thanks to an own goal!

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

This end-of-season kickabout didn't really enthuse the Derby public, as only 5,000 turned up to watch a drab 1-1 draw.

Standard 16 page issue which includes a useful list of all home attendances for the previous two seasons.

Looking back, it seems to me that, from 1946 up to about 1968, Derby played more post-season friendlies than pre-season friendlies.

How does that compare with other clubs? Unusual or just how things were back then?

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:22 am 
Post subject:

20 years ago (1994) and one of many end of season matches played at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road.

This one was between Lytham St Annes High School and Montgomery High School in the Harry Johnston Memorial Final.

This is an annual competition in the memory of the great Harry Johnston who spent all his playing career at Blackpool and made 10 appearances for England.

The programme is an 8 page issue without any clues on the cover as to the season or date.

John Hills the former Blackpool, Gillingham and Sheffield Wednesday full back was in the Lytham side alongside the McNiven brothers Scott and David.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

37 years ago and the legend that is Zak has his prolific decade of service to Derby rewarded with a testimonial.

The programme itself is only 4 pages in length and was contained within the testimonial brochure - but only on the day of the game. Accordingly, it's quite hard to find (though the brochure is less so).

Touch and go between him and Colin Todd for my (personal) favourite player of all time - but Kevin just shades it.

A pity various England managers didn't think so highly of him!

A great footballer and a real gentleman who I had the honour to meet once.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1953 and Lynn are at home to Gorleston in the Norfolk Jubilee Cup - another of many minor cup competitions held within Norfolk!!
Lynn won the match 3-2
This programme was a double header for Lynn Reserves against Downham Town in the Norfolk Intermediate Cup Final. This was also played on 9th May at The Walks, 3 hours after the 1st Team had played

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

49 years ago.

Lovely programme all the way from the Empire Stadium in Vancouver.

A 3-3 draw between Sheffield United and Blackpool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
49 years ago.

Lovely programme all the way from the Empire Stadium in Vancouver.

A 3-3 draw between Sheffield United and Blackpool

Nice programme sharrow and here's a ticket to go with it.

I hate to think what I originally paid for the programme compared with the value today.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1958 season Blackpool embarked on a World Tour playing a match in Los Angeles, 11 matches in Australia and on the return home playing 2 games in Hong Kong.

They scored an incredible 87 goals against 12 conceded.

The game on 10th May was against Australia at the Sydney Sports Ground where Blackpool won 8-2.

The programme is a 16 page issue, a special edition of the Soccer Weekly News, which also covered the game on the 11th against New South Wales at the Wollongong Show Ground.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

No date printed on the cover but this was from this day back in 1968.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 am 
Post subject:

65 years ago (1949) and a benefit match for Tommy Walker between Distillery and Blackpool played at Grosvenor Park in Belfast.

Distillery strengthened their team with some guest appearances but Blackpool won 2-0 with goals from Fenton and Rickett.

The programme is a large size 16 page issue and is one of Blackpool’s rarer post war away issues.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:16 pm 
Post subject:

65 years ago and the second leg of the English Schools FA's national trophy at the Baseball Ground between the representatives from Derby and Barnsley. Derby trailed 1-3 from the first leg. I've no record of the score in this game, though.

4 page ad-free programme issued includes a photo and details of the home team and full details on how both teams got to the Final.

Four of the Derby team eventually went on to play for the Rams - Glyn and Ray Parry, Ray Young and Dennis McQuillan.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:55 pm 
Post subject:

63 years ago (1951) and a Festival of Britain match between Blackpool and Anderlecht.

The programme is a standard 8 page issue numbered 46 in the season’s sequence.

Blackpool won 2-0.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

16 pages for 6d was charged for this Glos Cup match prog from 1966.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

1986 - and, having gained promotion to the 2nd division a few days earlier, Derby travelled to Darlington for the last game of the season with their minds firmly fixed on their summer holidays.

3,585 in attendance at Feethams as Darlington won 2-1.

This match had originally been scheduled for April 15th but heavy rain had resulted in a postponement, so Darlington issued the same programme with this s/s insert included inside.

One for collectors to beware of - 90% of the time, this programme turns up minus said insert.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:00 am 
Post subject:

169 x 239mm, 16 pages, £1.00. England v Switzerland, 13-May-2000. EUFA European Women's Championship Qualifier.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: