Football Programmes Centre

Hello From A Torquay United Collector
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hello From A Torquay United Collector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 pm 
Post subject: Hello From A Torquay United Collector

Hello everyone.

Recently after reading an article about programmes, it surged myinterest in collecting them. Now I started going to Plainmoor around 1980, really got into it from 1984. Had lots of programmes but with house moves and life in general getting in the way I now only have a bout 100.

I decided I am going to collect home and away the programmes from 1984/85. Not moving on til I complete the collection. I dont want to have it get out of hand where I buy everythin money wise!

I am new to actual collecting so I hope my following questions won't be laughed at:

I have read already about people cataloging their collection. What do you catalogue in YOUR collections. just an idea to get me started please.

How do I find out about what friendlies were progamme issued that season, contact the club? same with NEW issues after a postponement.

Do you bag and board your collections?

Thanks
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:05 am 
Post subject:

Hi and welcome

Please let me know if you'd like to add a few inexpensive press photos to your growing collection of Gulls' programmes, such as the couple shown below........

As rgds programmes, I used to stack mine in heaps in a cupboard and select one or two each season to display in folders, but when they got too bulky and slippery to do that easily, and I wasn't reading any of it, I gave up collecting. You don't get that problem with photos, or tickets come to that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 am 
Post subject:

Thanks, for now, no thanks but I will keep it in mind.

Paul 'Dobbo' Dobson, the last second goalscoring saviour in the first automatic drop out of the league season.

Tommy Tynan, was a brief but huge scorer for the Gulls.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am 
Post subject:

There's a bloke on here who knows a nice story about Tynan while at Torquay!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 am 
Post subject:

Most Torquay fans know the story hehe!

Is it the one about the kettle? If not, then there is more than one story about Tynan!
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Well I have well and truly got the bug now.

I managed to get the info I required yesterday about any non competitive games Torquay played in the 84/85 season and whether there was an issue. This including 15 games pre/mid and post season!

Within hours I had found and purchased the following pre seasons:
(..and finding my first one made me have a butterfly feeling lol!!!!!)

Gloucester v Torquay
Andover v Torquay

and a mid season Devon Bowl programme

Exeter v Torquay

Totally hooked now! Do all collectors get a good feeling when they find there first one they have been seeking??!!
nozer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am 
Post subject: New Collector.

Prob so , i still get that same feeling even now when adding somthing "rare" to my collection of all things "Dougan" and i have been collecting know for more years than i care to remember ?.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:10 am 
Post subject:

It is a very addictive hobby. Funny really, I think I stated elsewhere I have been to over 1000 games (wish I had recorded them), and due to live and moving etc I only have about 100 programmes.

Comic collecting is pricing itself out of the market right now and I am amazed at how cheaply I havebeen finding programmes since I started collecting proper in August.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

Just wanted to say: I have only been on here around 4 months and what an incredibly helpful site it is. All the people I have interacted with selling etc have been so friendly.

Easy
upthecounty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 am 
Post subject:

Does anyone want to elaborate on the Tynan story, great player and would like him back at Newport again today as a 24 year old!!
He certainly knew where the net was.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

Are you back into the 70's yet with your Torquay collection? I collect Scunthorpe and the away at Torquay in 74-75 was quite hard to find. I'm told at some point they had a fire at Plainmoor which destroyed a lot of programmes. Can any else shed any light on this?
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:41 am 
Post subject:

bigearl79 wrote:
Are you back into the 70's yet with your Torquay collection? I collect Scunthorpe and the away at Torquay in 74-75 was quite hard to find. I'm told at some point they had a fire at Plainmoor which destroyed a lot of programmes. Can any else shed any light on this?

Hey bigearl79,

I am sure all programme collectors have the same feeling: I wish I could buy all the ones I want and see at the same time. If I did, I'd be homeless and bankrupt!!! Very Happy So not back to 1974 yet. Still very much working on 1984/85 and picking up some stuff from other years. Cheers for the headsup, I will put that one on my list!

Indeed, in 1985, bottom of the league, no money, managed by David Webb and, if memory serves me right, just days after the awful Bradford fire, 75% of the main grandstand burnt down in the middle of the night. As you say, they had a wonderful little programme shop under the grandstand run by a well known local man Dave, who you could rely on for any programe knowledge. Totally destroyed. Very sad,
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:53 am 
Post subject:

upthecounty wrote:
Does anyone want to elaborate on the Tynan story, great player and would like him back at Newport again today as a 24 year old!!
He certainly knew where the net was.

I believe, and I am sure my Torquay colleagues on here will correctme if I am wrong what happened. Tynan was agreat scorer for us with 13 in 35. He certainly made his feeling clear in one match for whatever reason, where he scored and then gave a V sign to the board of directors! TheGuardian will probably explain it better.

"The 10 worst examples of footballers behaving badly"
Dated: Sunday 4th May 2001: http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,583485,00.html

"10 Tommy Tynan (1991)

Vital ingredients Booze, the game 'buzz', a kettle (used as a weapon)

As the Torquay team attempted to bond before the 1991 play-offs, a session of the drinking game 'buzz' was organised. When Tynan tried to break up an argument between his captain Wes Saunders and player-coach Russell Musker, Saunders punched Tynan, leaving him with a cut eye. The players then went to bed, but at 2am Tynan went to Saunders's room to seek vengeance and according to chairman Mike Bateson, 'he picked up the nearest thing handy, which was a kettle, and hit Wes with it'"

Saunders went on to score one of the goals that took Torquay up in the Play off Final while Tynan, was dropped for the final and never played for Torquay again.
johnwells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:36 am 
Post subject: torquay

have some Torquay on www.footballcollecting.com

john
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 am 
Post subject:

tufcprogs wrote:
bigearl79 wrote:

Hey bigearl79,

I am sure all programme collectors have the same feeling: I wish I could buy all the ones I want and see at the same time. If I did, I'd be homeless and bankrupt!!! Very Happy So not back to 1974 yet. Still very much working on 1984/85 and picking up some stuff from other years. Cheers for the headsup, I will put that one on my list!

Indeed, in 1985, bottom of the league, no money, managed by David Webb and, if memory serves me right, just days after the awful Bradford fire, 75% of the main grandstand burnt down in the middle of the night. As you say, they had a wonderful little programme shop under the grandstand run by a well known local man Dave, who you could rely on for any programe knowledge. Totally destroyed. Very sad,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plainmoor

Some details of the fire are on here.
tufcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

My specific TUFC 84/85 collection is coming along.

Interesting I am searching for some PSF's, midseason friendlies etc and TUFC played 18 that season. That to me is a hell of a lot!!!

I will be adding my PSF etc list soon. Should I add it here or post on the Programmes Wanted page? I will also be filling in the 'Member's Wants Lists' section. I have a query though: I mailed the link to 'Craig' asking for a team or two to be added but many months later no unopened mail.

Who do I ask to add a couple of names to the list?

Also are board posts permenantly editable?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: