Football Programmes Centre

December
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
December
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:54 am 
Post subject:

Lovely programme that, Superajm.

From this day December 19th 1964 (49 years ago)

A Metropolitan League Fixture between Cambridge City Reserves and Charlton Athletic

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

77 years ago (1936) and a 2nd Division fixture between Doncaster Rovers and Blackpool.

Blackpool were sitting top of the league and Doncaster were bottom so it was no surprise that Blackpool ran out winners and by a decent scoreline of 4 goals to nil.

Blackpool finished the season as runners up but unfortunately Doncaster were still bottom.

A 16 page programme was issued but without a clue on the cover as to the date, opponents or even the season.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

1959 and a visit to Uxbridge for a Corinthian League fixture which ended 1-1. Uxbridge won the title that season with Maidenhead runners-up, six points behind. Eight page programme produced printed red on white paper.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

Central League fixture from 60 years ago.

Derby found themselves in the unusual position of actually heading the table, so the 2-2 draw with mid-table Huddersfield was most likely a disappointing result.

4 page issue. For whatever reason, Derby reserve homes from seasons 52/3 to 54/5 inclusive are a lot harder to find than the seasons either side of them. Low print runs, perhaps?

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Post subject:

1947 and a trip to Bedford for a Corinthian League fixture.

Maidenhead finished 8th, Bedford Avenue 14th (of 14) and Walton & Hersham won the title. Four page programme printed blue on white paper.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

Also from 1947 and a Lancashire Junior Cup tie between Nelson and Bacup Borough.

Both clubs were "on form" at the time but here it was Nelson who came out on top, 6-2.

The 8 page programme is better than many league clubs' issues of the era with plenty reading material including confirmation that Nelson had plans in place for making an application to join the Football League at some point in the near future. The club felt that their current on-field success, increasing gates and general ambition warranted this.

As an addition to this, there's a further article on a proposed "fifth division" of the League which Nelson, along with Wigan, South Shields, Scarborough, Workington , South Liverpool, Hyde Utd. Stalybridge, Rhyl and Bangor had already indicated definite interest in. Along with several clubs from the Midlands and South (though who they are is not specified).

All came to nowt, presumably...

The least said about the notice on page 7...."When you've done with this programme, don't throw it in the street. Save it with all your other waste paper for salvage".....the better!

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

1946 and a 2-1 win for the Rams puts them up to 12th in the table and leaves Leeds one place above the relegation zone.

21,320 in attendance.

The 12 page programme has a pre-war "feel" to it, especially that splendid front cover. The typeface is blue throughout, rather than black.
They obviously like their ale in Leeds as there are no fewer than 5 adverts for it - Magnet Ales, Tetley Ales, Melbourne Ales, Double Diamond and Ramsdens.

Nice programme and quite hard to find today.

PS - Derby win at Leeds....some things in life never change Smile

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

1971 and a visit to Leatherhead for an Athenian League fixture (not a Premier Midweek Floodlight League match as stated on the single sheet which is why it took me years to track this issue down) which ended goalless. Leatherhead finished 3rd, Maidenhead 6th (of 16) and Slough Town won the title.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

1976 and a visit to Broughinge Road, Borehamwood for a Isthmian League Division 2 fixture which the home side won 2-0. Boreham Wood won the Championship that season with 103 points from their 42 games whilst Maidenhead finished 19th (of 22).

Broughinge Road is a ground that has improved beyond recognition since this match which was my first visit there, but the club still fail to attract much local interest and their average home attendance this season in Conference South is just 180.

Finally a couple of observations - the town is spelt Borehamwood, the football club Boreham Wood, and the rather amateurish looking club badge that features on the front cover of this six page gatefold programme has been changed for a more professionally designed one. This programme was printed blue on white paper with typed and duplicated information added into the remaining blank spaces for each match.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago and a Football Lge (South) fixture at St.Andrews where a single Harold Bodle goal was enough to give the home side a 1-0 win and lift them to 3rd in the table, Derby dropping to 6th. 30,000 in attendance.

4 page programme issued. Club notes on the front and rear. Lineups in the centre surrounded by adverts.

Atkinsons, Ansells and M&B are the beers represented in those ads.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

85 years ago (1928) and a Central League fixture between Sheffield United reserves and Blackpool reserves.

These were confusing 4 page programmes.

They had the date of the fixture in small printing at the top right of the cover, but then prominently across the centre was the date and details of the next home fixture.

I wonder how many people over the years have bought one of these in error not realising that the details on the front are for the next game.

The team line ups are on the back cover and there are notes and tables inside.

There was also a half-time scoreboard which included a table to record scores at the 15, 30, 60 and 75 minutes as well as half time and full time scores.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

1972 and a trip to Wokingham for a Berks & Bucks Cup tie which the home side won 1-0. Eight page programme in black on orange paper, one of many non-league issues during this era which had the Allsports Publicity Company holding the advertising rights and Cardinal Press of Leeds the printing rights.

Maidenhead have only played one fixture on December 24th and that was away to Windsor & Eton in 1921 and, unfortunately, I don't have that programme.
PaulRStoke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:17 pm 
Post subject: Stoke FC v Aston Villa Reserves 1911/12 Birmingham League

102 years ago the Potters entertained Villa in a reserve match:

The game finished 1 - 1

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

46 years ago and a 1-1 draw at Molineux between Wolves reserves and Derby reserves.

The 4 page issue has the lineups on the front page, fixtures on p.2, the H/T scoreboard on the reverse and, on page 3, a list of all those who had won on the various Wolves pools and bingo competitions. Complete with their home addresses (which would never be printed nowadays).

Hence we find that Miss J.Lydall, of 2 Madeira Avenue, Codsall, won the first prize of £45 in the Development Association draw....and the bingo first prize of £100 was shared between 4 lucky winners. Three of them women.

Add in a few ads for Butlers bitter (the same ad repeated on p.3), the Sporting Star and Don Everall travel and, all in all, not bad value for 3d.
Not great value either, mind you.

I wonder if Miss J.Lydall remained a spinster after her big win that week? Did she have hordes of Wolves-leaning men queuing at her door?

We'll never know...

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

75 years ago (1938) and a 1st Division fixture between Everton and Blackpool.

A truly superb 32 page programme was issued which is without doubt one of the best ever pre-war programmes.

It is packed full of information, articles, facts, figures and even a crossword.

Everton won the game by 4 goals to nil.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago. 6th placed Sheffield United beat 19th placed Derby 2-0 in a Central League fixture.

4 page issue for 1d. Lineups, fixture lists, tables and ticket prices for the upcoming FA Cup tie with Barrow on pages 2 + 3, H/T scoreboard and a Wardonia razor blades advert on the reverse.

Nice programme cover.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

Christmas Day 1922 and a Spartan League fixture against Slough which Maidenhead won 1-0. Maidenhead finished 4th, Slough 3rd and Chesham United won the title. Usual four page programme printed black on olive green paper (I assume).

The last fixture Maidenhead played on Christmas Day was in 1956.

Happy Christmas to everyone on the forum - and if anybody can help with one of my wants, please get in touch. The condition of any programme I require is irrelevant as long as it is complete - you can't be fussy when you collect Maidenhead United and Stenhousemuir - as can be seen by the condition of this example.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

80 years ago (1933) and a Christmas Day 2nd Division fixture between Blackpool and Hull City.

The usual 16 page programme was issued for the 11.00am kick off.

Another good pre war programme which included an advert for a coach trip to the FA Cup 3rd Rd tie at Cheltenham in January. This trip was for the princely sum of 22/6 (£1.12½) including an overnight stay.

Just under 25,000 turned out to witness a 0-0 draw with the return fixture on Boxing day.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

Xmas day 1948 and a very early kick off as fans of Twickenham Association get two games for the price of one.

At 9.45am, the third team take on Thames United, immediately followed by a Barnes League Cup tie between Twickenham's reserves and Ham FC.

Single sheet programme costing 2d. Lineups for the Ham game on the reverse along with an advert for John Perring's bed shop.

You'd have to be a pretty devoted fan to attend these games. Though, as a precursor to the turkey dinner, perhaps not a bad idea....fresh air heightens the appetite and all that.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

1924 and a visit to Slough for a Spartan League fixture which Maidenhead won 3-2. Slough finished 3rd, Maidenhead 9th (of 14) and Chesham United won the title. Four page programme printed black on amber paper.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: