Football Programmes Centre

E Bay General Announcement
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
E Bay General Announcement
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 pm 
Post subject: E Bay General Announcement

Just saw this on E Bay announcements:

"We always encourage sellers to charge fair and reasonable postage and packaging (P&P) fees for their items, including items offering Express delivery.

Please check your postage and packaging costs for Express delivery and revise them if they are excessive. Listings that continue to promote what we consider to be excessive P&P costs may be blocked."

I wonder how they would check each listing? I assume they have some software to do it or perhaps it is an empty threat.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

Some buyers on ebay are just obsessed with postage. They'll moan about an odd 10p and then go and buy something from off ebay and be happy to pay £5 for delivering the same weight.

I won't post anything for less then £1.50. So my rating for postage cost is slightly lower the the other ratings. It's sp petty at times.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

This is from the company that now CHARGE YOU a FEE for FROM YOUR OWN POSTAGE COSTS for you to post something off to a customer at a% of the postage costs .....so if you sold something for 5p with £5.00 postage you would owe e-bay money as the E-Bay and Paypal fees would by far be more than 5p . . . cant expect any more from them im afraid , but if you want to buy its fine , if you are a seller ........... well what do you do ????

They put a charge on your postage costs and then tell you to keep em low ...... Clap Clap Clap
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:14 pm 
Post subject:

roughyedz wrote:
This is from the company that now CHARGE YOU a FEE for FROM YOUR OWN POSTAGE COSTS for you to post something off to a customer at a% of the postage costs .....so if you sold something for 5p with £5.00 postage you would owe e-bay money as the E-Bay and Paypal fees would by far be more than 5p . . . cant expect any more from them im afraid , but if you want to buy its fine , if you are a seller ........... well what do you do ????

They put a charge on your postage costs and then tell you to keep em low ...... Clap Clap Clap

Thats because all ebay wants is BUYERS, everything is targeted towards buyers of fixed price items. That's where they make their money, they want to become a one stop for branded items and outlet for all major stores. These stores are far more profitable for ebay and less effort.

The common auction site part is now just annoying to them because the are to many negatives and they have pay to many staff to maintain it.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure that is totally true because they virtually never offer free listing days for "buy it now" only for auctions. However I agree that buy it now items tend to sell better than auctions.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
Not sure that is totally true because they virtually never offer free listing days for "buy it now" only for auctions. However I agree that buy it now items tend to sell better than auctions.

Don't know about true but it's a stated fact by ebay about 18 months ago when they started introducing daily deals.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 am 
Post subject:

Ah, those halcyon pre-Ebay days of the 70s when programme collecting used to be...

...fun.
Telfordfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:12 am 
Post subject:

I think ebay have a point, with excessive charging for postage.

Generally anything pre-1990's programmes are light and usually come under 100grams, you should only be paying 60p for a stamp. If you cover your paypal and ebay fees, this should only be costing you an extra 60p. So if you charge more than £1.20 this is profiteering surely?

I don't have a issue with modern bulkier and heavier programmes being charged at £1.50 postage.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 am 
Post subject:

Telfordfan wrote:

Generally anything pre-1990's programmes are light and usually come under 100grams, you should only be paying 60p for a stamp. If you cover your paypal and ebay fees, this should only be costing you an extra 60p. So if you charge more than £1.20 this is profiteering surely?

I don't have a issue with modern bulkier and heavier programmes being charged at £1.50 postage.

Are you saying that if you were shopping on somewhere like Tesco you would moan about postage if it was £3.70 and you thought it should be £3.50 ? no you wouldn't it's only on ebay people think that others should do them a favour like this.

I can understand it when people stick silly prices as p&p like £5 for a light item but in general people get a good deal at £1.50 minimum when you take into account standard online shopping.

Fact is now if you sell an item on ebay for 99p odds are when fees and costs are added up you make nothing or lose money. So it's not a case of ebay making things better because people are just going to lump in the charges on P&P and who profits on that ? ebay because they take 10%

I don't see how it's going to work when sellers are squeezed from both sides. The only result is heavier items won't be put on ebay.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 am 
Post subject:

Telfordfan wrote:

Postage will always be an issue for buyers. If sellers want to recoup Pay Pal, E Bay fees and other costs then these should be included in the asking price and not the delivery. As I have said on many occasions, all deliveries for specified categories should be free and ALL costs included in the starting price.
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

Lots of good points above.

I hardly ever sell anything these days - I'm not a dealer and don't have much spare of any value (I am putting a list together slowly though!).

I have noticed the increase in prices for postage - some of them are ludicrous, but as a buyer I have a choice - buy or don't buy! Same with auction house fees et al..............

The other thing that is happening is the re-use of packaging - if new packaging is used (board backed env. etc) then I would expect to pay for it, on the flip side, if a board env. is being re-used I wouldn't expect to pay.

However, it happens and I do pay but never complain - the saying 'once bitten twice shy' comes to mind - I will think carefully about any future bid with the same seller.

Likewise, those who sell as a BIN with 'Free Postage' - if I buy 2 items I would hope that the seller would reduce the postage accordingly, or make a refund if I haven't had time to ask the question. This sometimes happens, but not always.

At the end of the day the buyer and the seller both have a choice and may take the appropriate action as they see fit (not buying / selling) but don't expect too much help from Ebay - whilst people are buying and selling they are making their profits and really have no care for us mortals......................

Merry Christmas and i hope that your team does well unless it's against The Lions.

ian
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

Kickoff3pm wrote:
Telfordfan wrote:

Are you saying that if you were shopping on somewhere like Tesco you would moan about postage if it was £3.70 and you thought it should be £3.50 ? no you wouldn't it's only on ebay people think that others should do them a favour like this.

I can understand it when people stick silly prices as p&p like £5 for a light item but in general people get a good deal at £1.50 minimum when you take into account standard online shopping.

Fact is now if you sell an item on ebay for 99p odds are when fees and costs are added up you make nothing or lose money. So it's not a case of ebay making things better because people are just going to lump in the charges on P&P and who profits on that ? ebay because they take 10%

I don't see how it's going to work when sellers are squeezed from both sides. The only result is heavier items won't be put on ebay.

£1.50 for eg. one 1960's programme is not a good deal for the buyer. I generally avoid high postage costs like this.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Telfordfan wrote:

Tynie Topics wrote:
£1.50 for eg. one 1960's programme is not a good deal for the buyer. I generally avoid high postage costs like this.

I absolutely agree that £1.50 is rather steep to send a programme where the weight is under 100g, and there are lots of others who charge even more, and for 2nd class as well. Shame No

I do try and avoid blantant profiteering but sometimes the desire to acquire a programme takes precedence.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
Telfordfan wrote:

Tynie Topics wrote:

I absolutely agree that £1.50 is rather steep to send a programme where the weight is under 100g, and there are lots of others who charge even more, and for 2nd class as well. Shame No

I do try and avoid blantant profiteering but sometimes the desire to acquire a programme takes precedence.

If I buy anything up to 100g and delivery is over £1, I give them a two rating i.e. unreasonable.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
If I buy anything up to 100g and delivery is over £1, I give them a two rating i.e. unreasonable.

Thumbs Up
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:12 pm 
Post subject:

I sell on Amazon and they charged a buyer £5.30 for a programme they sold for me at £4. I got the £4 - £1.30 post and amazon got the full £5.30.

Ebay buyers need to stop moaning if you buy something and the postage is steep DONT BUY IT.. Dont be a sneek and mark them low on postage ratings. Shocked
I charge £1 for items and under 100 grams. If anyone knows where i can get free boarded envelopes, sellotape, complimentary slips, address labels let me know.
And i nearly forgot the Ebay postage fee needs paying.
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Post subject:

All in all Business sellers p&p should be much less than a Personal sellers p&p on Ebay.

A 2nd class stamp for a Private seller is 50p where as for Business sellers its 33p, also pay-pal fees for Business sellers are less as well, Private sellers its 3.4% + 20p and Business sellers it "can be" (see pay-pal for details) 1.4% + 20p (we wont go down the Business rates route storage costs etc as you can get tax relief etc).

Saying that I would not mark anyone down on their Ebay stars for charging to much p&p as the listing clearly states it and I`ve agreed to pay it by bidding on the item or using the buy it now option.
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 pm 
Post subject:

What would you think if ebay put all the fees on to the buyer? your item is 99p and they then add another the 76p fees then you pay postage 69p + packing 20p. £2.64 total.

If the seller is only charging 99p + £1.50 so your 14p better off Smile
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:09 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
I sell on Amazon and they charged a buyer £5.30 for a programme they sold for me at £4. I got the £4 - £1.30 post and amazon got the full £5.30.

Ebay buyers need to stop moaning if you buy something and the postage is steep DONT BUY IT.. Dont be a sneek and mark them low on postage ratings. Shocked
I charge £1 for items and under 100 grams. If anyone knows where i can get free boarded envelopes, sellotape, complimentary slips, address labels let me know.
And i nearly forgot the Ebay postage fee needs paying.

Why is it being a sneak to mark someone low on postage?

If I see a programme that I would like but the postage is a rip off (in my opinion) I have 2 choices.

Ignore it and hope another turns up sometime or go for it and sod the excessive postage.

If I go for it I am not going to give the buyer 4s or 5s for reasonable or very reasonable postage costs am I? Confused
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

JJPROGRAMMES wrote:
Saying that I would not mark anyone down on their Ebay stars for charging to much p&p as the listing clearly states it and I`ve agreed to pay it by bidding on the item or using the buy it now option.

No wonder these Ebay ratings are generally worthless if people are not prepared to mark sellers appropriately.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: