Football Programmes Centre

December
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
December
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:33 am 
Post subject:

1974 and a Berks & Bucks Cup tie away to Aylesbury based works side, Rivet Sports which Maidenhead lost 3-2. Four page programme issued printed black on white.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

78 years ago and 17,113 - the lowest gate of the season - in attendance to see 2nd placed Derby beat 19th placed Grimsby 2-0.

The 16 page programme has, as was the case with all Rams issues from the 30s, the lineups on the cover, somewhat limited reading material and masses of adverts, interesting though these are after all this time (especially the one about "Baboona", whoever she was)

The next Saturday saw a trip to Roker Park to take on the leaders in what the advert describes as "the match of the season".....problem was the departure time. Just after midnight on Friday.

Presumably, then, Sunderland station would have been choc-a-bloc with Derby fans sleeping on the platforms or waiting-rooms all night!

December. Must have been cold. Easy pickings for pie vendors.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

1934 and a Bucks Charity Cup tie between Maidenhead (from Berkshire) and Northampton Nomads (from Northants) which Maidenhead won 4-0. Usual six page gatefold programme issued printed black on light brown paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1945) and a Football League North fixture between Barnsley and Blackpool.

A 4 page programme was issued which had 1st and reserve team fixtures, team line ups and a half time scoreboard. The rest was adverts.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw as did the return fixture a week later.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

The 3rd Division (North) 57 years ago and a 1-1 draw at Redheugh Park between mid-table Gateshead and 5th placed Derby.

The attendance of just 3,937 was the smallest the Rams would play in front of that season and might help explain why the programme is so tricky to find.

The very basic 8 page issue has four blank spaces where adverts should have been. That and the low crowd suggests a club struggling to sustain public interest.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

1972 and a visit to Lea Bridge Road for an Amateur Cup replay with Leyton which the home side won 2-1. Eight page programme issued, printed blue on white paper.

PaulRStoke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 pm 
Post subject: Stoke FC V West Ham United 1911/2 Southern League

102 years ago the Potters played the Hammers in a Southern League game.

The Potters came back from two down to win the game 4-3 in front of a crowd of 10,000

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

As there are a number of FAYC ties being played around this time, it is probably topical to feature a programme from the competition.

This single sheet from 1968 is for a 2nd Rd replay between Manchester United and Blackpool which resulted in a resounding 7-2 win for United.

The sheet has team line ups on the front and on the reverse has league tables and ticket details for United’s forthcoming FA Cup 3rd Rd tie at Exeter City.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

27 years ago and to Molineux for a Freight Rover Trophy tie between Wolves and Bournemouth.

The home side were languishing in 9th place in the 4th division but, even so, the attendance of just 1,923 for this match is still hard to comprehend.

Those who stayed away missed 7 goals, though, as Wolves edged it 4-3 on the night, Steve Bull scoring a brace.

20 page programme for 50p. Plenty of interest, including a look back to the programme issued for the Bournemouth v Wolves FAC tie in 1948, Steve Davies's regular "Programme Talk" article and a review of a very early version of the computer game "Football Manager" which the author attempts to compare to Subbuteo!

There's also a complete run-through of all results and attendances for the FRT so far that season. 5 games had seen crowds of under 1,000 and, of the 28 ties played to date, the highest attendance was at Middlesbrough v Doncaster. And even that was just 3,977.

They may have been in a very dark period of their history but the Wolves issue of that particular season is a little gem.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

51 years ago (1962) and a single sheet for an FAYC tie between Sheffield United and Blackpool.

The sheet is printed on one side only in landscape format and just shows the team line ups.

I can't imagine many of these survived.

For Blackpool there was a young Alan Ball in the eleven and for Sheffield United Barry Wagstaffe and Alan Woodward featured.

United won this tie but I don’t have a score recorded. If anyone knows please drop me a PM.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm 
Post subject:

1927 and a Spartan League fixture against Walthamstow Avenue which Maidenhead won 4-2. Maidenhead finished 5th, Walthamstow runners-up to Botwell Mission. Six page gatefold programme printed black on orange paper.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Bispham strikes again Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:00 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
51 years ago (1962) and a single sheet for an FAYC tie between Sheffield United and Blackpool.

The sheet is printed on one side only in landscape format and just shows the team line ups.

I can't imagine many of these survived.

For Blackpool there was a young Alan Ball in the eleven and for Sheffield United Barry Wagstaffe and Alan Woodward featured.

United won this tie but I don’t have a score recorded. If anyone knows please drop me a PM.

United won 1-0 courtesy of a Mick Jones penalty.

Eight of the United team went onto play for the 1st Team.

Only Walton, Smith and Gray did not.

In all, the players collectively, amassed over 1500 first team appearances for United.

Len Badger and Alan Woodward are acknowledged as two members of United's all time greatest XI.

Bernard Shaw went onto to appear in the 72 Uefa Cup Final for Wolves and sadly, Mick Jones went up the M1 to L**ds.

David Munks went onto Portsmouth and Frank Barlow went onto Chesterfield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers for the score sharrow.

There was certainly some talent in that line-up.

I'd intended to mention Len Badger as one of the greats but got distracted.

And Mick Jones as well. I had forgotten he was with the Blades before he joined Leeds.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 am 
Post subject:

It's meant to be a goal net but this cover always reminded me in a spider's web.

10,904 watched a goalless draw, the implied tedium not enlivened by a rather uninspiring programme.

Blackburn moved to 9th in the table. Derby somewhere below them.

I've seen this programme on EBay. It never sells. From what I see, not many post-1956 programmes ever do.

It's an overrated medium.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

76 years ago (1937) and a 1st Division fixture between West Bromwich Albion and Blackpool.

An excellent 12 page programme was issued with plenty of reading material, fixture lists and tables (including Central League and Birmingham Combination).

Blackpool won the game 2-1 with goals from O’Donnell F. and Buchan.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

This day 48 years ago,

an Athenian League fixture

between Wokingham Town and Chesham United

On the front cover, is an advertisement for the Queen's Oak Pub, I'd never heard of a pub called this before so I looked it up and apparently its the only one in the country. Named by Queen Victoria as it happens who planted a large Oak tee opposite it.

Nice to see its still operating, even if Edna and Fred aren't.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

Maidenhead won the title, Colchester finished 11th (of 15). Usual six page gatefold programme issued printed black on orange paper. I presume that F. Ister, the named Colchester goalkeeper, was another along the lines of "A. Whiteshirt", "A. Toughone", etc., who appeared at times for Maidenhead and opposition sides in various matches.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

Perhaps Scotland's best-known "non league" club.

No nonsense issue. 10p gets you two pages of notes, the team lineups and a scaffolding advert.

No mention of what the lucky programme holder would win. Pie and a bovril, probably. Nothing wrong with that.

Superajm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 am 
Post subject:

Northampton v Posh FA Cup 2nd rd replay, score 1-1

we lost the 2nd replay 8-1!

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: