Football Programmes Centre

November
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
November
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

The European Cup 38 years ago and, 4-1 up from the 1st leg, it all went wrong for the Rams in the Bernabeu.

A 5-1 win for Real on the night in front of 120,000 spectators.

The 52 page programme issued is full of reading material but 99% of it is in Spanish. It also includes a "Crucigrama" which appears to be the Spanish version of a crossword as well as a full page ad for "El Titi" who must have been one of the better bullfighters of the time.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

54 years ago today, 1959, A European Cup Tie

Gothenburg v Sparta Rotterdam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Post subject:

57 years ago.1956...

Coventry City 0 Sheffield United 6 (Friendly)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:13 pm 
Post subject:

87 years ago (1926) and a 2nd Division fixture between Chelsea and Blackpool.

Similar style and content to the 1930 Chelsea programme I featured a few days ago although this one is a little smaller in overall dimensions and there is no London Combination table included.

The match ended 1-1 in front of 25,000 spectators.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

1948 and an Amateur Cup tie against our local rivals at the Dolphin Stadium. 12 page programme printed black on white.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Post subject:

On 6th Nov 1954 Wigan Athletic took on Yorkshire League side Farsley Celtic in the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, beating them 3-1.

A standard Wigan 16 page programme was issued. The "Club Jottings" continue over 3 pages throughout the programme. There is one further page of notes, a fixture list for the rest of the season and the team line ups. The remainder of the programme is adverts.

Wigan went on to lose at Barnsley in the next round, whereas Farsley Celtic had to wait another 20 years before finally making Round One.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1965 and, whilst the first team were registering a rare top-flight victory, beating Villa 2-1...

...the Cobblers' reserves slipped to a 1-2 defeat at Upton Park.

Pocket-sized 24 page issue for the home game, single-sheet issue from the Hammers for the reserve fixture.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 am 
Post subject:

7th Nov 1984 friendly pompey v New Zealand.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am 
Post subject:

1953 and a visit to Kent to play Maidstone United on their long gone London Road ground. The home side won this Corinthian League fixture 3-0 and finished 4th, Maidenhead 8th (of 14), Carshalton Athletic won the title. Eight page programme printed black on off white paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm 
Post subject:

71 years ago and a North Regional fixture between Blackpool and Southport.

As described higher up this thread, this was a very good season for the Seasiders and this was yet another high scoring game ending 6-2 for the home side.

Dix scored a hat-trick and Dodds, Burbanks and Farrow got the others.

The programme is a standard 4 page issue with the teams in the centre and nothing on the back cover.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago and, under floodlights, a benefit match for the widow and family of ex-Ram Chick Musson who, at just 34, had passed away in April of that year after a battle against leukaemia.

Musson played left-half in the Rams 1946 Cup winning side and his popularity was reflected in the size of the crowd - 21,350 - and the quality of player who had agreed to turn out for such a worthy cause.

The club later detailed the sum due to be paid over to Mrs.Musson.

If my arithmetic is accurate, the programme proceeds of £12 10/- equates to 1,000 programmes sold. Not many for such a large crowd. Perhaps such a small print run, if that was the case, explains why this one is so hard to find nowadays.

Unless, of course, the proceeds are net of costs.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

8th November 1969 Scarborough 3 Mexborough 1 in the inaugural season of the "FA Non-League Trophy".

Standard 4d 12 page Scarborough programme of the period was issued.

The club notes by "Onlooker" talk about the previous week's FA Cup defeat at Whitby being "one of darkest days in the annals of the Club". If only the supporters were to know what was to become of this famous old club !!

A nice advert for the Caravel Restaurant, North Landing, Flamborough - spent many happy days at Flamborough as a kid.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1947) and a 1st Division fixture between Arsenal and Blackpool.

A very good 8 page programme was issued, full of reading, and in keeping with Arsenal programmes of the 40s and 50s was almost devoid of adverts. The only one was a tiny ‘square’ at the bottom of the back cover advertising the Finsbury Park Empire.

There was also a pirate programme available. This was 8 pages, again with plenty of reading and no adverts, but apart from the team line ups the content had little to do with the actual fixture.

Arsenal won by 2 goals to 1 in front of 67,000 spectators.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

1924 and a Spartan League fixture at Chesham United which Maidenhead lost 6-5. Chesham won the title that season by eight points gaining 46 points from a possible 52 (2 pts for a win) whilst Maidenhead finished 9th (of 14). Usual large four page programme issued, printed black on light brown paper.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago and a Northern League fixture between Crook Colliery Welfare and South Bank.

4 page programme issued - mostly advertising - but very unusual in that the opposition players are, in pre-war fashion, numbered 12-22.

I've never seen that in any other post-war programme and would be interested if anyone else knows of any other examples.

Crook CW changed their name to Crook Town 2 years later - a club who I will feature in a scan later this month.

These really were heady days for the cinema industry - even a town the size of Crook had 3 of them. The Hippodrome (showing a George Raft flick), the Empire (with Cedric Hardwicke) and the Theatre (showing "White Tie And Tails").

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

1957 and an Amateur Cup tie away to Wokingham Town at the long gone Finchampstead Road ground. The home side won 1-0 and progressed to the quarter-finals of the competition where they lost 3-2 away to Crook Town. Unusual sized eight page programme printed black on white with duplicated internal information.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1946 and 57,517 assemble at Maine Road to see United go 4th in the table with a 4-1 win over Derby.

The 12 page programme has no opponents listed on the cover - but that's the only criticism I could make of it. Well-written articles by Matt Busby, Tom Jackson and Alf Clarke, the "Bricks and Bokays" cartoon page, a quiz, a "players spotlight" and more. Great value for 3d.

There's also an article written by Ivan Sharpe on the wisdom of the home nations deciding to rejoin FIFA now the war is over. He makes the point that it's a worldwide game now though his choice of phrase is unintentionally amusing......."the eskimo plays with reindeer skin as a football...the Japs are good at the game - very nippy....the native chiefs of Central Africa assemble in Kenya, sit in a solemn circle and make their draw"

Yep, nothing beats some good old-fashioned stereotyping!

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

Continuing the theme of FA Cup 1st round ties involving Maidenhead, six years ago we played Horsham at this stage of the competition. In front of the biggest crowd I have ever seen for a Maidenhead fixture - 3379 - the home side (a division below us in the non-league pyramid) thrashed us 4-1 and progressed to a televised tie against Swansea City in Round 2 (and then a replay at the Liberty Stadium to boot!). Not only that but we had to suffer endless showings of the opening Horsham goal, a thunderbolt from Nigel Brake that was shown repeatedly on MOTD. TBH, we've never really recovered since!

A substantial programme was produced for the game, priced £2

I managed to get examples of all four tickets issued for the game (same design different colours)

And a picture of Nigel Brake's 35 yard drive...

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

62 years ago and 20,549 in attendance to witness Derby's highest win of the season: 5-0 over bottom-of-the-table Fulham.

The 8 page programme is still fairly basic in comparison to others in the First Division but it's improving. The detailed match reports on the previous week's first team and reserves games at least gives the purchaser something to read at half-time.

51/2 would be the final season the "Man-Ram" would grace the front cover.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

As it's a cup weekend I have gone for this relativly recent one.
Leyton Orient v Rovers in 2007.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: