Football Programmes Centre

November
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
November
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 am 
Post subject: November

83 years ago (1930) and a 1st Division fixture between Chelsea and Blackpool.

This was Blackpool’s first ever season in the top fight and it was a bit of a struggle with them escaping relegation by just one point.

Leeds and Manchester United were relegated that season and up to this day Manchester United had lost all 12 of their opening games.

Chelsea won this one 3-0 with goals from Cheyne, Jackson and Gallacher.

A standard 8 page programme was issued.

pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

1st november 1947.....almost 50,000 attendance.

Manchester city 1-0 v pompey

Nice neat 8 page programme with an ad for 'oxo' on the front cover...good read of maine road gossip, flashback, league table & results in Div 1, central league, Manchester league which must be their 'B' team or youth.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm 
Post subject:

1947 and a visit to Surrey to play Carshalton Athletic for a Corinthian League fixture with "the Robins"* defeating "the Magpies" by 3-1. Carshalton finished 4th, Maidenhead 8th (of 14), Walton & Hersham were the Champions. Eight page programme printed black on white on tissue like paper.

* Never understood why Carshalton Athletic were nicknamed "the Robins" when they always played in maroon shirts rather than red.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

Maidonian wrote:
Never understood why Carshalton Athletic were nicknamed "the Robins" when they always played in maroon shirts rather than red.

However, the Carshalton official site says that the original colours were red jerseys and white shorts.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
However, the Carshalton official site says that the original colours were red jerseys and white shorts.

It's strange really how and when nicknames come about. Our first meeting with Carshalton was in 1927 and they wore Maroon shirts then:

so they couldn't have worn red for long and must have adopted their nickname very early on in their history, although that font of knowledge, Wikipedia says:

Carshalton Athletic's original colours are not known but Mill Lane Mission played in light blue and chocolate and St Andrews in white and red stripes.

Mind you, someone altered our club's Wikipedia entry in the close season and reading our Club History in the Ebbsfleet United away programme (26th August 2013) they had obviously used the article without checking that parts of it were a spoof.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

61 years ago. 44,571 at St.James' Park to watch 17th placed Newcastle beat 20th placed Derby 1-0.

12 page programme issued for the game.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

1957 and a visit to Windsor & Eton in the Amateur Cup and a 2-1 victory for Maidenhead. Eight page small size programme printed black on beige.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

39 years ago and another meeting between those friendliest of rivals (ha!), Leeds and Derby.

One with, perhaps, a little added spice as it was barely a month since Leeds' players - oops, sorry, I meant board of directors - had sacked Cloughie.

24 page programme costing 12p does its best not to mention his name. Just the one reference - and that from guest writer Tom Holley who adds the adjective "controversial" to prefix his name.

No matter. As usual, we won. A Frannie Lee goal proving decisive in front of 33,551.

Can we play you every week? Smile

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

For smaller clubs like Maidenhead, progress in the FA Cup can be a godsend financially. Reaching the 1st round proper is the first aim for those clubs that start playing in the competition in August, with a dream tie in 3rd round the ultimate goal. Very, very few non-league clubs make it that far.

Maidenhead have reached the 1st round proper on seven occasions since 1945. This day in 1962 Maidenhead lost 3-0 to Isthmian League side Wycombe Wanderers and benevolently helped the Bucks side cause by missing two penalties as well. 5,537 filled York Road for the occasion. The usual eight page programme was produced, printed black on pale pink.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

1976 and the Daily Express National 5-a-side annual tournament, Wolves defending the title they had won 12 months previously.

28 page programme issued includes advertising from the likes of Subbuteo, Players No.6 and Leyland Cars the content and design of which only highlights how different a world it was back then.

I'm not sure who won this tournament but, from the lineups, some clubs seemed to take it less seriously than others. The Man Utd squad. for instance, contains no first-team regulars. Mind you, as the matches only lasted 4 minutes each way, it's a long journey for such potentially short playing time.

I presume this tournament is long since consigned to the history books. Can't see today's big clubs fitting it into their "busy" schedule. But I do recall watching it on, was it Sportsnight With Coleman each year?

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 pm 
Post subject:

62 years ago |(1951) and a 1st Division fixture between West Bromwich Albion and Blackpool.

Just over 43,000 witnessed a 1-1 draw with Brown scoring for the Seasiders and Allen for the Baggies.

Some pencil notes in the 8 page programme indicated it was a hard fought game in difficult conditions with both goalkeepers on top form.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am 
Post subject:

1978 and a visit to Granleigh Road, Leytonstone for an isthmian League Division 1 match against their tenants, Ilford. Maidenhead won 5-0 and finished 3rd, Ilford 17th (of 22). Eight page programme issued, produced by Len Llewellyn.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

63 years ago (1950) and a 1st Division fixture between Blackpool and Everton.

Everton have the better overall record against Blackpool but this was the first of three 4-0 victories to Blackpool against Everton in the 1950s and there was also a 5-2 win as well.

Scorers this day were Mudie (2), Mortensen and Perry.

A standard 8 page programme was issued.

PaulRStoke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 pm 
Post subject: Stoke FC v Watford 1911/12

102 years ago the Potters played Watford in the Southern League

The Potters won the game 1-0 in front of a crowd of 12,000

No programme was issued for the Southern League fixture on Monday 6 November 1911 when the Potters played Exeter
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

This day 80 years ago and an Isthmian League fixture between Nunhead and Ilford.

Large 6-page gatefold-style programme issued for the game. Club notes on the front, stats on the back and the programme opens up to team line-ups surrounded by a host of wonderfully nostalgic adverts for milk, table salts, opticians and laundrettes....as well as the tempting offer of rubber mats at 1/6d each to add to spectators' comfort! (Must have been very hard seats in the grandstand).

Nunhead were quite successful in those days but the club, for whatever reason, never resumed playing after the war ended and were wound up in 1949.

One of my favourite programmes in my non-league collection.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

4th November 1957
Hearts 3 Man City 5

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 am 
Post subject:

5th November 1949 - Sheffield Senior Challenge Cup tie between Hallam FC & Thorncliffe Welfare FC.

Thorncliffe still have a team (though they are now known simply as Thorncliffe) - they play at High Green on the outskirts of Sheffield in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League Division One

The 1949 programme has 4 pages - front and inside shown. Back page has adverts including The Plough Inn the club's headquarters opposite the ground - "Don't Ail ! Drink Tennant's Ale"

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 pm 
Post subject:

51 years ago (1962) and a bonfire night Floodlight Challenge Match between Greenock Morton and Blackpool played at Cappielow Park.

Morton played a number of high profile friendlies around this time having recently played Wolves and Chelsea (away) and were due to play Chelsea again at home in a couple of weeks.

I don’t have a score recorded for this game so if anyone has details please let me know.

An 8 page programme was produced.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:19 pm 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:

Thorncliffe still have a team (though they are now known simply as Thorncliffe) - they play at High Green on the outskirts of Sheffield in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League Division One

Nice one Barnsley,

We played Thorncliffe twice last season, the first game at High green ended in a 9-9 draw.

In the second game, it was 9-9 with two minutes left, and it ended 11-11.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:18 pm 
Post subject:

1960 and the only time Maidenhead have reached the 1st round proper of the FA Cup and been drawn away to league opponents. Colchester won 5-0 in front of 5,571 spectators. A 12 page programme was issued printed blue on white.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: