Football Programmes Centre

More away fans than home fans
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
More away fans than home fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

I am certainly not disputing your guesstimate of the away support at Coventry Mark01, after all you were there. I was merely repeating the blurb which appeared on Sky text. If this kind of level of support for Coventry is continued then the 10 points deduction to start the season will be the least of their problems!!
petetivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Towards the mid to late 90's were were edging up towards 10,000 home fans on a regular basis, with an average of around 16,000/17,000 overall I think in season 1996/97.

I won't disagree if this is statistical evidence. However, I am certain that on numerous occasions we were well outnumbered by opposition fans. Maybe not all the time, but the point still stands...
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky Boro wrote:
Shotsman wrote:
I remember going to wee Woking play Leigh RMI about 10 years ago and Leigh had 1 fan. Also in the mid 50s Aldershot took 2 fans to Shrewsbury.

The lonely Udinese fan Crying or Very sad http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

Season 1987-88 saw Wolves fail to take any fans to 5/6 games at the start of the season. We were banned from the games following some arseholes rioting at Scarborough's first ever Football League game.

On a similar theme - did Luton Town ban away fans from Kenilworth Road for a season. And if memory serves me well did an enterprising Norwich fan find his way around the ban by joining the Luton Town supporters club and obtaining a ticket that way?
DazaB_WCFC_CCFC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

mark01 wrote:

Apparently Coventry fans were given a free programme on entry.

regards, Mark

We certainly were Wink

Going north, I think Kilmarnock gave Rangers three sides of the ground on the last day of the season the last time Rangers won the title.

That would be even stranger as a home fan than Sunday was!!!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm 
Post subject:

petetivers wrote:
I won't disagree if this is statistical evidence. However, I am certain that on numerous occasions we were well outnumbered by opposition fans. Maybe not all the time, but the point still stands...

Absolutely, but those occasions became fewer outwith the big teams, and we were growing a support base at Selhurst (slowly).
oldbolt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 am 
Post subject:

GreatBarrWolf wrote:
Rocky Boro wrote:
Shotsman wrote:
I remember going to wee Woking play Leigh RMI about 10 years ago and Leigh had 1 fan. Also in the mid 50s Aldershot took 2 fans to Shrewsbury.

The lonely Udinese fan Crying or Very sad http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

Season 1987-88 saw Wolves fail to take any fans to 5/6 games at the start of the season. We were banned from the games following some arseholes rioting at Scarborough's first ever Football League game.

One of those games was at Bolton and it seemed like no Wolves fans turned up, Bolton won 1-0 so there was no Wolves goal to out any.There were a few matches in 81/82 when Chelsea were officially banned from away games but so many turned up at Burnden the away end had to be opened

That 4th Division season Torquay and Colchester banned all away fans , I think Wolves fans were responsible the Torquay decision. Scarborough's next home game after Wolves was Bolton, Bolton's first away match in Division 4 and about 2,000 travelled from Lancs.A 4-0 home win and a lot more trouble in Scarborough, it was some baptism of fire for them getting Wolves and Bolton the first two matches.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Post subject:

Funnily enough when I saw the opening post I thought immediately of the old Wimbledon. Particularly their last season at Selhurst, when their fans were either boycotting them, or had already started up AFC Wimbledon.

Palace were the 'away team' at Selhurst Park and had more than double the home fans, but strangely were all crammed into the lower Holmesdale, whilst the rest of the ground was eeriely sparse
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am 
Post subject:

GreatBarrWolf wrote:
Rocky Boro wrote:
Shotsman wrote:

On a similar theme - did Luton Town ban away fans from Kenilworth Road for a season. And if memory serves me well did an enterprising Norwich fan find his way around the ban by joining the Luton Town supporters club and obtaining a ticket that way?

There were a number of enterprising fans who got around the Luton ban, brainchild of the recently deceased Tory MP and uber fascist David Evans, club chairman at the time. Avidly egged on by Thatch, and her Miniature for Sport as he was called at the time Colin Moynihan, the ban became an embarrassment to the club and a red rag to football fans everywhere.

Several clubs have had banning orders enforced on them, again under Thatch - notice a trend here? - but again these were unenforceable as fans would turn up in such huge numbers that police were left with no option but to let them into the ground where there was at least some semblance of control. I well remember Sheffield Wednesday under one such ban, bringing over 2,000 fans to a Tuesday night match at Blundell Park to play Grimsby. They'd have been better off staying at home as they lost if my memory serves me correctly?
Superajm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

Posh played Leicester in 92/93 and we gave them half of our ground and in a total attendance of 15445 leicester brought 8369!

and to repay us the season after at Filbert Street they banned away fans! I think they had building work from memory but I know quite a few Posh fans got in (I saw most of them in the main stand!)
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

Superajm wrote:
Posh played Leicester in 92/93 and we gave them half of our ground and in a total attendance of 15445 leicester brought 8369!

and to repay us the season after at Filbert Street they banned away fans! I think they had building work from memory but I know quite a few Posh fans got in (I saw most of them in the main stand!)

I remember both games well, was the one at London Rd where the police came onto the pitch at the end on horses to prevent trouble. If so I think the extra money the away fans brought in paid for that and I think we lost Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

Was happened quite a few times with Sunderland, including a few times where home teams season ticket holders have been moved from the main stand to another stand or end to accommodate away fans in some cases occupying 3 stands.

remember 60% away fans at Swindon on the final day of the season
home club abandoned end of season celebrations as the away fans had a pitch invasion and peter Reid took to the stand with tannoy and encouraged thr fans to get behind the team in the play offs. Was the season we lost on penalties to Charlton.
Superajm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:50 am 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:
Superajm wrote:

I remember both games well, was the one at London Rd where the police came onto the pitch at the end on horses to prevent trouble. If so I think the extra money the away fans brought in paid for that and I think we lost Crying or Very sad

http://www.uptheposh.com/matches/798/

Was a good game! And yes, the horses came on at the end.

I think our last game of 90/91 at chesterfield we outnumbered the home fans too but I don't have official away attendance for it
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:50 am 
Post subject:

At the other end of the spectrum apparently Morecambe have sold only four tickets for Saturday's League Two match at Portsmouth.
Poolec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 pm 
Post subject: Away fans outnumbering home fans

Leeds certainly did it during their spell in Div one against teams like Oldham where they would have over 4,000 fans in a crowd of 7,000 or so.

There will have been others i'm sure. In fact it would have been a regular occurence if clubs had of looked to maximise revenue and atmosphere rather than preserve 3 sides of the ground for home fans only to end up with empty seats.
BertD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 am 
Post subject:

petetivers wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:
Towards the mid to late 90's were were edging up towards 10,000 home fans on a regular basis, with an average of around 16,000/17,000 overall I think in season 1996/97.

Of course, as AFC Wimbledon the opposite was true for the best part of ten years ...
seand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am 
Post subject:

Rangers at Queens Park last season must be pushing some sort of record. Didn't they sell something like 30,000 of 32,000 tickets for the away game at Hampden ?

More away fans happens regularly in Ireland and I'm sure at non league level. In the League of Ireland Premier most away teams will supply 75%+ of UCD's home crowds. Bray Wanderers are liable to be outnumbered at home to Shamrock Rovers,Bohemians or Dundalk. In the First Division attendances are in the low hundreds so relatively well supported teams will often outnumber home fans on their travels
cdsmith15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

I'd say that the vast majority if not all the Rangers games in the SFL Division 3 last season.

Also, judging by the relative silence when Montrose scored at Links Park there was a fair few Rangers fans in the home end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

Melbourne Victory v Liverpool played at Melbourne Cricket Ground 24th July out of the close to 100,000 fans about 99,000 were supporting Liverpool. That would take some beating with just 10,548 Miles between the two sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCiNGYfhPY
flashhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

Following Luton Town in the conference regularly sees us having more fans when we go away than the home team hosting us

My football memorabilia: https://www.flickr.com/photos/192140619@N08/albums

Non-league photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/143473465@N03/albums

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/
seand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Post subject:

1980Cossie wrote:
Melbourne Victory v Liverpool played at Melbourne Cricket Ground 24th July out of the close to 100,000 fans about 99,000 were supporting Liverpool. That would take some beating with just 10,548 Miles between the two sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCiNGYfhPY

Ryanair must have been offering cheap flights to get all the Liverpool fans over from Merseyside
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: