Football Programmes Centre

August
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
August
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:

On his move to Blackpool he is quoted as saying "It was a lovely sunny day and after the sooty streets of Sheffield I remember thinking it was like coming to paradise." Laughing

Yes I can believe that. Laughing

Three weeks ago, we were up at Preston North End's Academy, and afterwards I took the boys to Blackpool in the afternoon. First time in 20 years I've been, and I used to go twice a year.

Football ground has certainly changed.

I was a little shocked that a family ticket for the pleasure beach was £115.

So fish and chips it was, and a walk on the pier, before heading home.

I'm not sure if I'm a bad influence but the boys first question was 'how many times did you get thrown out of 'The Foxhall', Dad' Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:20 am 
Post subject:

Back to 1975 and our first home game of the new season. A 16 page programme for 15p.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:55 am 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1947) and Blackpool’s first match of the new season was against Chelsea.

Blackpool won the match 3-0 with 2 goals from Mortensen and an own goal.

The programme was 8 pages and was produced by the Supporters Club for the first time.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

61 years ago.......August 23rd 1952

Swansea Town 1 Sheffield United 2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago.

Southport 2 Derby County 5 (att: 8,537)

4 page issue costing 3d has little to read other than the few club notes on the front cover.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 am 
Post subject:

The season hadn’t started on this day in 1946 and Blackpool played the 2nd of their pre season Tangerine v Whites public practice matches.

A 4 page programme was issued which was to become the norm for the season and with the usual RHO Hills advert on the back cover.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:39 pm 
Post subject:

50 years ago today.

The 5th and final season of the short-lived Aetolian League and an opening-day-of-the-season match between Ford United and East Ham United.

4 page advert-free programme issued costing 2d. Club notes thank the groundsman for getting the pitch in shape after the ravages of that year's infamous winter.

Not only has this league competition disappeared, so have both clubs. Ford United are now Redbridge and East Ham are simply no more.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 pm 
Post subject:

3rd home game in 1968. A 16 page issue for 9d.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:27 am 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1945) and Blackpool’s first away match of the Football League North campaign was at Bury.

The programme notes talked about opening the season ‘under a more congenial atmosphere, having now the Japanese war behind us in addition to the European War.”

A 4 page programme was issued and Blackpool won the fixture 4-1 with Mortensen scoring all 4.

Last edited by bisphamseasider on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago and to the village of Troedyrhiw on the outskirts of Merthyr Tydfil and the visit of Swansea Town's reserve team for the opening Welsh League fixture of season 47/8.

Single sheet programme issued, unpriced. Blank on the reverse. Rather fragile paper.

As Ivor Allchurch joined Swansea as a 17 year old in 1947, I wonder if this was one of his very first appearances for the club. Anyone shed any light?

As can be seen from the team photo, Troedyrhiw were a rather successful club at this point in their history and finished the 47/8 season as runners-up to Lovells Athletic.

Sadly, the club were dissolved last year after the company they rented their ground from decided to increase the charge by 50% at the same time as refusing spectators entry to the grandstand on the grounds of "safety".

The general feeling is that they never wanted the club there in the first place.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 pm 
Post subject:

80 years ago and Blackpool’s first match of the 1933/4 season saw them up against old rivals Preston North End.

A lovely 16 page programme was produced although it did contain rather a lot of adverts.

Like most 1930's Blackpool home programmes neither opponents or date were shown on the cover so I have also scanned page 3 to confirm the date of the fixture.

Not a good start for the Seasiders where nearly 30,000 witnessed a 2-1 win for Preston with Jimmy Hampson scoring Blackpool’s goal.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

East Midlands derby this day in 1944 to commence the Football League (North) season.

13,294 in attendance to witness a 0-0 draw.

4 page programme, not a great deal to read. Team line-ups, fixture list and advertising.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

A trip up the M4 for us in August 1985. Reading charged 50p for their 28 page programme.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 pm 
Post subject:

Phew just made it !!

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 am 
Post subject:

47 years ago today....August 27th 1966

A midland counties League game between Lockheed Leamington and Skegness Town.

The ground used to belong to Coventry City. Perhaps they should have kept it Confused

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 am 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1945) and Blackpool’s first home match of the Football League North campaign.

Blackpool came out on top in a 9 goal thriller against local rivals Preston North End.

The final score was 6-3 with goals from Fenton 2, O’Donnell 2, Mortensen and Buchan.

This was Morty’s 5th goal in the opening 2 games having scored all 4 at Bury a couple of days earlier.

A 4 page small size programme was issued and this example is in amazing condition considering its age and the type of paper used.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1954 and an entry in the complex state of affairs that was Slough football of the early post-war era.

Slough Centre had been around in the 1930s but merged with Slough FC to form Slough United in 1936. In turn, this fledgling club de-merged in 1948 when Slough United vanished, Slough Town were born and Slough Centre became a separate incarnation once again....but only lasted till 1956 when they shut up shop. Leaving Slough Town as the sole "big" club in Slough. Phew! Confused? So am I.

So this programme is from Slough Centre's penultimate season and is a 8 page issue with a sturdier than usual card cover.

Club notes state that all the day's Delphian Lge results will be broadcast on Radio Luxembourg at 9.30pm on Saturday evening. No internet in those days!

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

The first home match of season 1934/35 in front of 10,338 at Oakwell finished in a 1-1 draw. This is from a bound volume kindly scanned in by a friend and will go on my flikr site eventually

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63092394@N03/

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:59 am 
Post subject:

35 years ago today..August 28th 1978

The European cup holders, Liverpool are bundled out of the League Cup at BDTBL by the Blades 1-0, in the days before the big boys played 11 reserves.

Really hated those square shape programmes from 78-9, very difficult to find them in good condition, they also seemed to suffer badly from rusty staple syndrome that season.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

Just 3 years ago and Blackpool’s first home game in the top division for nearly 40 years.

The match was against Fulham and the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: