Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:30 am 
Post subject:

The end of the 1970/1 season was disheartening for Blackpool fans as they were relegated to the old Division 2 after just one season back in the top flight.

However this was tempered a little by the invitation into the Anglo Italian Cup and, surprisingly to a lot of people, they went on to win the trophy defeating Bologna in a thrilling final in Italy.

Verona at Bloomfield Road was the first match for Blackpool. Originally Juventus were to be the opposition but their involvement in the Fairs Cup final forced them to withdraw.

A 16 page programme was issued and there was also a tournament brochure produced.

Blackpool went on to contest the final again the following season and the season after narrowly missed qualifying again on goal difference.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:55 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago and the second leg of the Midland Cup Final at the Baseball Ground between Derby and Villa.

Derby had won 3-0 at Villa Park seven days earlier and won this match even more comprehensively, 6-0, to secure the trophy.

16,218 were in attendance, Peter Doherty scoring 5 of the goals, the other from Clarrie Jordan, a guest player from Doncaster Rovers.

So, a league and cup double for the Rams.

4 page programme for 2d includes a list of all 38 Rams players currently on service in the Forces and wishing them all "a safe and speedy return"

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh......

Bloody May 26th. Should be banned from the calendar Crying or Very sad

16 years ago Crying or Very sad

10 years ago Crying or Very sad

1 year ago Crying or Very sad

Still waiting to see a goal Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

1997 - "Hopkin, looking to curl one......"

Payback time for 1996 when we lost in injury time to a Claridge shinner. Sorry mate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

Just 24 hours after playing Wellington Rovers had moved on to Auckland for another game.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 am 
Post subject: Busby Babes in 1954

27TH May 1954 saw Matt Busby send out his youngsters to Zurich to compete in the legendary Blue Stars Youth Tournament and they went on to win it and won it again for the next 4 years.
Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton, Eddie Colman, Liam Whelan, Wilf McGuiness all played in those early games.

Here is the match programme and some photos taken outside the Manchester Town Hall on one of their Cup victories
http://flic.kr/p/6dAK2i
http://flic.kr/p/6Ad9No
http://flic.kr/p/6A8WuB
http://flic.kr/p/6Ada4d
http://flic.kr/p/6Ad8of

All the photos and newspaper clipping were the former property of Edddie Colman of Manchester United.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am 
Post subject:

The second match on the 1954 tour saw Blackpool play German side Saarbrucken which is situated just across the border with France.

From a football prospective Saarbrucken has a colourful history in that the German state of Saarland where Saarbrucken is situated was occupied by the French after the war who made various unsuccessful efforts to see the state become independent of Germany or join France.

Saarbrucken played its first three seasons of post-war football in the German first division but in 1948 became one of a number of sides forced out of German football.

Some clubs played in a short-lived league for the state called the Ehrenliga but Saarbrucken became part of the French second division which they won by 6 points over Bordeaux.

They were not however allowed into the French 1st Division and over the next couple of seasons played friendlies and unofficial tournaments until they and other clubs from Saarland were granted readmission into the German FA.

The programme for this game was just 8 pages and included articles and photographs on Matthews and Mortensen.

It was written all in German but it was priced in francs.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 am 
Post subject:

Back to Blackpool’s 1948 tour to Sweden and Denmark, this time for a match against Swedish opposition.

Blackpool’s opponents were AIK Stockholm and the match was played at the Rasunda Fotbollstadion which is now called the Friends Arena.

Blackpool won the match 4-0.

An 8 page programme was issued and a forthcoming match against Portsmouth on 2nd June is mentioned on the centre pages.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 am 
Post subject:

25 years ago - a 1-0 Chelsea victory not enough to turn round a 0-2 defeat in the first leg.
'Boro promoted, Chelsea relegated.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am 
Post subject:

38 years ago...........May 28th 1975

We've gone way south to the bottom of New Zealand to dunedin

Otago 1 Sheffield United 4

A Chris Guthrie hat-trick, a rare feat indeed.

clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:04 pm 
Post subject:

If you're a fan of the art of classic defending, then it's one of the best matches you'll ever see... Boring to most people though.

Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

18 years ago we were at Wembley for the play off final.
We lost 2-1, dammit.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 am 
Post subject:

26 years ago and no penalty shoot-outs in the early days of the play-offs. After a 2-2 aggregate score, Swindon and Gillingham met at Selhurst Park in a "play-off play-off" to decide who would gain promotion.
The Wiltshire club won 2-0.

When I went to get this programme to scan it, it and a whole load of others fell down behind a wardrobe......so I confess I've taken this scan off the internet. Quicker than trying to move the furniture!

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:17 am 
Post subject:

The second match of the 1970/1 Anglo Italian Cup campaign was a home tie against Roma.

Now having drawn the first match against Verona and then proceeding to lose this one, the odds on topping the group were remote to say the least. But away wins in Verona and Rome saw Blackpool do just that and as mentioned earlier in the thread they went on to win the trophy.

A 16 page programme was issued in a similar style to the one for the Verona game.

In typical Italian programme issuing fashion, there was nothing produced for the away ties but there was for the final.

Eck

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder how this thread is going to do throughout the summer months,it would be great if there was still one every day. I can't get my printer going,maybe my hard drive needs more coal shoveled into it. I think I will have to connect it to the wife's laptop.
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I wonder how this thread is going to do throughout the summer months,it would be great if there was still one every day. I can't get my printer going,maybe my hard drive needs more coal shoveled into it. I think I will have to connect it to the wife's laptop.

I think we might manage it.. Easy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

10 years after Munich, Manchester United become the first English side to win the European Cup.
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:

I'm not too badly off for July - but June is mighty threadbare.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I wonder how this thread is going to do throughout the summer months,it would be great if there was still one every day.

This was asked and answered early in May Eck. In fact asked by clsyorkshire who has now answered your query.

With World Cups, Euros, end of season tours, foreign leagues etc, I am pretty sure there will be a programme for each date.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I'm not too badly off for July - but June is mighty threadbare.

July should be no problem, a lot of clubs start friendlies in early July.

June will obviously be a little more difficult. I can probably cover about half the dates up to now.

We may need more people to provide examples.
| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: