Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
Post subject:

Back 68 years to wartime football and a Football Lge North (Second Period) match between Derby County and Liverpool. These were the top 2 in the league so was essentially a title decider - hence the rather more colourful cover than usual.

Derby ran out 1-0 winners in front of 16,723, the goal coming from Peter Doherty. Enough to win the title.

4 page programme costing 2d. Club notes on p.2, lineups p.3 and a complete fixture list for both the 1st team and youth team on the back page. (Wainwright had netted 60 (sixty!) goals that season for the latter!!)

The 2 flags are a nice touch for the cover.

Does anyone use the expression "Whit Monday" any longer?

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 pm 
Post subject:

Not that old (May 1985) but significant all the same.
Though we didn't know it at the time this was the last ever Gloucestershire Cup Final to be staged at Eastville Stadium.
Trust the sods from across town to spoil things by beating us 1-0.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 am 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1959/1960 season Blackpool, who had only recently visited the US, Australia, and Hong Kong, embarked on a tour to Africa.

They played 8 matches scoring 34 goals against 13.

They won all the matches fairly comfortably bar one which was a 5-1 defeat to Black Star Group (Ghana National team). I am not sure what happened there but being the national side they were obviously far too strong.

Programmes are known to exist for 4 of the fixtures but information on the others is a bit sketchy. If anyone has any programmes from this trip (excluding the one featured here) please let me know.

This programme is for a match against Northern Rhodesia played at the Rhokana Ground in Nkana which Blackpool won 7-1.

A 24 page large format programme was issued.

Last edited by bisphamseasider on Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
Post subject:

30 years ago and the inaugural Tayport International Amateur tournament held at the exotically-named Canniepairt on Tayside.

4 clubs took part - Tayport, Dumbarton Academy, Auchtermuchty Bellevue and, from Belgium, AC Ougree (Liege).

Unpriced 20 page programme includes an interesting pre-war photograph of a herd of cows using the pitch to feed on during the off-season.

Tayport's 'keeper for the tournament is Angus Charity...hope he didn't show too much of that to the opposition's forwards.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

56 years ago...........May 22nd 1957

Ajax 1 Sheffield United 2

The TV's were looking good in them days. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:15 am 
Post subject:

51 years ago today...........May 23rd 1962

St Louis Catholic Youth Council All Stars v Sheffield United

Rare 32 page programme, of which most is consigned to compliments from every Catholic Church in St Louis and a few small local businesses such as Annheuser Busch and Coca Cola.

Page 3 dispenses with the usual manager's notes and goes for a portrait of his eminence Joseph Cardinal Ritter. (the founder of the Catholic Youth Council in St Louis)

Ritter was at the forefront of ending racial discrimination in St Louis Schools. In 1938 he ordered that this practice should end. (This was 16 years before the US Supreme court ruled that State Laws over segregated public schools for white and black pupils was unconstitutional). This decision went down a storm with the Ku Klux Klan and many of his own clergy.

In 1947, 700 white catholics planned to sue Ritter over his stance on racial segregation, saying it contravened State Law. He responded with an Pastoral Letter saying that anyone taking that course of action would incur excommunication. No action was ever brought against him.

He was also responsible as Archbishop of forbading Catholics of seeing the 1954 Film, 'The French Line' featuring Jane Russell.
In 3D, Director Howard Hughes made full use of Miss Russell's assets, the film had the tag line in advertisements:

J.R in 3D, It'll knock both your eyes out! Laughing

United won 4-1 in front of 2,521 at St Louis Public Schools Stadium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:04 am 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1953/4 season Blackpool travelled to France to play 2 matches against Alsace and one against the German side Saarbrucken.

The region of Alsace has a fascinating and chequered history. It was under the control of the German Empire at the beginning of the 20th Century, then France following the signing of the Treaty of Versaille at the end of the 1st World War, then occupied by Nazi Germany before finally returning to French control in 1945.

This first game was played against an Alsace Professional X1 as part of the 35th anniversary celebrations of the La Ligue d'Alsace de football association (the Alsace FA).

The match was played in Strasbourg and Blackpool won 4-0.

The programme is 24 pages and is mostly in French. The one shown here is a reproduction.

If anyone has an original they would like to sell please let me know.

Last edited by bisphamseasider on Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

2010 and the final of the Southern Region Women’s Football League Cup final between Southampton Saints and Maidenhead United, Southampton winning 2-1 to clinch the league and cup double. 12 page programme produced for the occasion with the match being played at Reading Town FC.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 am 
Post subject:

1966 and a match against Fulham for the Berks & Bucks Benevolent Cup fund which Fulham won 1-0. Usual eight page programme issued by Maidenhead printed black on beige coloured paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 am 
Post subject:

Back to the 1958 World Tour and 2 programmes both dated the 24th of May.

The 1st for a Test Match against the Australian National side played on the Saturday afternoon at the Adelaide Oval. This was a narrow 1-0 victory for Blackpool.

A 24 page Soccer News Souvenir Programme was issued. My copy has some pages duplicated making it a 28 page programme.

The 2nd game was played the following day against Victoria at the Olympic Park in Melbourne. The result was a more resounding 8-0 to Blackpool.

A 16 page larger style Soccer News Souvenir Programme was issued with the same cover photograph.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 am 
Post subject:

29 years ago Today...........May 24th 1984

Dave Sexton's 'Class of 84'

Under 21s European Championship Final 2nd Leg at Bramall Lane

England 2-0 Spain (England win 3-0 on aggregate)

England Line up, (Full England Caps), and after.

Gary Bailey (2), TV presenter in South Africa and motivational speaker.

Mel Sterland (1), Zico Laughing Spent time in Prison for handling stolen goods, which he was later cleared. The highlight of his career was playing Sheffield United's Captain, in the film 'When Saturday Comes' Nod

Dave Watson (12), Everton stalwart, later became youth coach at Wigan, and an Academy coach at Newcastle United.

Derek Mountfield (0), Successful career at Everton, became a PE Teacher on the Wirral.

Nick Pickering (1) FA Cup winner with Coventry, became a schools coach

Paul Bracewell (3), Won 2 League Titles with Everton and is the only player to lose in 4 FA Cup Finals, went onto run a 5-a-side centre in Newcastle

Nigel Callaghan (0), Entertaining winger, who became a DJ,

Steve Hodge (24), Long career with the likes of Forest, Spurs and Leeds, the owner of Maradona's 'Hand of God' shirt. Pity, he couldn't have got hold of it before he got within 40 yards of goal.

Kevin Brock (0), Became an established non-League manager

Mark Hateley (32), Player of the Tournament, played under Wenger at Monaco, became the first non scottish player to win the SFA Player of the Year. Joined Setanta before trying his hand at coaching in Africa. Now writes a weekly column in the Daily Record.

Howard Gayle (0), was involved in a charitable trust in Liverpool

Subs
Danny Wallace (1), Forced to retire in 1996 with Multiple Sclerosis and is active with raising money for those effected.

Gary Stevens (7), successful with Brighton and Spurs. He went onto become a Sky Sports reporter. Is now assistant coach at Sligo Rovers.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

Only 15 years ago but a classy, minimalist cover style for this play-off final between Grimsby and Northampton at Wembley.

That's about all the praise I can give it as, at £3.50 for 32 large pages, it's, frankly, a rip-off. Only a third of the content is given over to the two clubs, the rest is ads or marketing.

Grimsby won 1-0.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

Another Gloucestershire Cup Final from 1977 this time. Bloody City won 1-0.

[/img]

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:43 am 
Post subject:

Just realised I'm a day late, sorry and all that, but this is still in sequence so it's not out of place.

24th May 89 - 2nd Division play off semi-finals - 2nd leg.

Watford v Blackburn
Attendance 13,852

It was a 1-1 draw, after extra time, following the goalless effort at Ewood Park 3 days earlier. Simon Garner got an early goal for Rovers, Neil Redfearn equalised but it wasn't enough for the Hornets as Blackburn went through on away goals.

C Palace 2 Swindon 0
Attendance 23,677

Goals from star strikers Mark Bright & Ian Wright overturned the 1-0 advantage Swindon had from the first leg to take Palace through to the final 2-1 on aggregate - very precarious though as a goal by Town would have given them the aggregate win. But they didn't come close!

2-legged final to come!
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 am 
Post subject:

My penultimate submission on this thread for the season...

1963 and the final match of a very long season against Dagenham which ended 2-2. Dagenham finished 4th, Maidenhead 7th.

1967 and the 2nd leg of the Mithras Cup final at Barking which ended in a 2-2 draw and 4-4 on aggregate. Four page programme, printed black on blue paper. The "play-off" was held over to 1967/68 season.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

25 years ago and Chelsea, who'd finished 4th from last in the 1st division were involved in the play-off format which is currently used in Scotland.

Having beaten Blackburn 6-1 on aggregate, they met Middlesbrough (who had defeated Bradford City 3-2 on aggregate).

'Boro won 2-0 here in the first leg and 2-1 on aggregate, relegating Chelsea. Something which, the way the sport is now, will probably never happen again....

Rocky

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
'Boro won 2-0 here in the first leg and 2-1 on aggregate, relegating Chelsea. Something which, the way the sport is now, will probably never happen again....

What.....the Boro winning? Sad
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

At the end of the 1946/7 season Blackpool undertook a tour to Sweden and Denmark. This must have been a successful tour as the following year they went again playing similar Danish teams but different ones from Sweden.

For the match on 25th May 1948 they played a Copenhagen Combination X1 in Copenhagen, a match they lost 2-1 having won the previous match 2-1 against the same opposition.

Programmes were issued for all 5 matches on the tour and this is an 8 page issue.

From looking at the information inside it would appear that Portsmouth were on a similar tour (or at least to Denmark) and had matches on 31st May and 7th June.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 pm 
Post subject:

In 1974 Rovers had won promotion from the 3rd Division.
They went on tour to Australia and New Zealand and Tailand.
On the 25th of May they had reached Wellington.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

It has been suggested that this thread is so sucessful that it has got rather congested.
So I have done what has been requested and set up it's own forum.
You will find it at the bottom of the "Football Programmes" section.
Have started with June even though there won't be that many and people can create more months when needed.
At the end of May this thread will be moved into that forum as well.
Hope that's ok with everyone.

| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: