Football Programmes Centre

"Marquee" NAMES
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Marquee" NAMES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:12 pm 
Post subject: "Marquee" NAMES

Surprised The press have coined the expression Marquee named players .I would imagine the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka,Eto,o,
Terry ,Gerrard, Rooney ,Torres, fit the bill of that description .
Can anyone think of a similar titled Marquee name that Clubs
want to sign unless Real Madrid have scooped them all?
I can think of lots of players who arent marquee players however.They shall remain anonymous! Razz
James

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:35 pm 
Post subject:

I think this is something coming over from the states, where teams have what they call "Franchise" players IE a player who they build the franchise around.

These are normally proper role model players though, who are great at the sport and act professionally all the time and keep their lives private (Well as private as possible), plus where the sports in the states have Salary caps they don;t get ridiculous wages compared to the cheating idiots that grace the football pitches in this country.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

Brett Favre!

It probably differentiates between the "so-called" world class and the very best.. you know like "Anelka and Drogba are world-class" or "Giggs is world-class" - sorry they aren't - there's only 11 players in the world who can be called "world-class" and we're talking the top 4-5 players in England/Spain/Italy basically.

Torres, Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi .. this sort of level!
arsenal288

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:27 pm 
Post subject: world class

so what your saying is 'cashley' cole, whydebuyyou,deco,eboue,denillson,jo,gomez,
d.bent,song(related to rigormortice song)diouf,silvester 'the cat' & dempsey are not world class Shocked ....the premiership illusion is gone, it is no more, it is an ex-illusion, this illusion has shuttled off its mortal coil....it is a dead illusion. Crying or Very sad
kenred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

Smile I can give you some "marquee" names of yesteryear,Alec James,Billy Meredith,
Dixie Dean ,Alec Young, Billy Liddell ,Jackie Milburn,Len Shackleton,Tom Finney ,Stanley Matthews,Duncan Edwards,Johnny Haynes,George Best ,Bobby Charlton ,Jimmy Greaves,Denis Law,Billy Wright,Bobby Moore,John Charles
Alfred Di Stefano, Eusebio ,Pele,Puskas,Franz Beckenbauer,Eric Cantona,
Apologies to any I have omitted ,as there were many "superstars" in days gone by.
I am sure the supporters of their clubs can add to this list!!!
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

kenred wrote:
Smile I can give you some "marquee" names of yesteryear,Alec James,Billy Meredith,
Dixie Dean ,Alec Young, Billy Liddell ,Jackie Milburn,Len Shackleton,Tom Finney ,Stanley Matthews,Duncan Edwards,Johnny Haynes,George Best ,Bobby Charlton ,Jimmy Greaves,Denis Law,Billy Wright,Bobby Moore,John Charles
Alfred Di Stefano, Eusebio ,Pele,Puskas,Franz Beckenbauer,Eric Cantona,
Apologies to any I have omitted ,as there were many "superstars" in days gone by.
I am sure the supporters of their clubs can add to this list!!!
DEREK DOUGAN.
kenred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 am 
Post subject: wolves

Andy Gray ,Steve Bull,John Richards,Peter Broadbent,also heroes of Molineux
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:59 am 
Post subject: Re: wolves

kenred wrote:
Andy Gray ,Steve Bull,John Richards,Peter Broadbent,also heroes of Molineux

Oh and Peter Knowles and Billy Wright..

Bob Hazell, George Berry and err Iama Camara....

What about Spur's Kick'em and Rush side.... Danny Blanchflower - he even married a world-class performer, didn't he?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:23 am 
Post subject: marquee names

Can't give you any "marquee" names, but can give you some fishmarket ones:-
Cumming, Waters, Boylen, Tees, Cockerill (both models), Ross, Wainman, Batch, Green, Drinkell, Ford, Mendonca, Donovan (both models) Moore - Kevin only, Whymark, Birtles, Nicholl, Lund, Wilkinson, Gilbert(o)
Funny, it's almost like my favourite Town team in another post.

How about "Marquis" players - the ones that it would be foolish to disagree with? Top of the list, not just at the Theatre of Fish, but Englandwide has to be Bobby Cumming. Bobby was the dangerous player, because he was quiet. You never saw him argue with refs, if somebody fouled him he didn't complain, jjust took a mental note - "must pay back either today, or at some time in their career" He as also a superb footballer, equally at home at full back - no winger worth their salt would ever dare to try nutmeg him; midfield hard man holding role, or out wide, or up front - he scored many goals during his career with the Town. He was the ultimate versatility player - like Paul Madeley, but obviously much better.
Kenny Burns would be another such Marquis player, great footballer and hard as nails. Roy Keane ditto, Dave Mackay ditto. Vinnie Jones? You're having a larf, couldn't even play football.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: marquee names

Auchinleckian wrote:
Can't give you any "marquee" names, but can give you some fishmarket ones:-
Cumming, Waters, Boylen, Tees, Cockerill (both models), Ross, Wainman, Batch, Green, Drinkell, Ford, Mendonca, Donovan (both models) Moore - Kevin only, Whymark, Birtles, Nicholl, Lund, Wilkinson, Gilbert(o)
Funny, it's almost like my favourite Town team in another post.

How about "Marquis" players - the ones that it would be foolish to disagree with? Top of the list, not just at the Theatre of Fish, but Englandwide has to be Bobby Cumming. Bobby was the dangerous player, because he was quiet. You never saw him argue with refs, if somebody fouled him he didn't complain, jjust took a mental note - "must pay back either today, or at some time in their career" He as also a superb footballer, equally at home at full back - no winger worth their salt would ever dare to try nutmeg him; midfield hard man holding role, or out wide, or up front - he scored many goals during his career with the Town. He was the ultimate versatility player - like Paul Madeley, but obviously much better.
Kenny Burns would be another such Marquis player, great footballer and hard as nails. Roy Keane ditto, Dave Mackay ditto. Vinnie Jones? You're having a larf, couldn't even play football.

Are we talking Marquis de Sade here...

Cyril Knowles sorted Colin Harvey out with a dreadful tackle at WHL in the late 60s - bringing a large red stain to his socks.... A few days later the return at Goodison - Bally and Kendall finished him off. I heard Jackie Charlton got sorted by Johnny Morrissey early in a game at Elland Road - the Everton players turned to him and said "bloody hell Johnny we've got the rest of the game to play yet" - seems a few nods went round the Leeds team to "get him"...
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:05 pm 
Post subject: Marquis

You're right, it would be de Sade type players, cruel but inventive with it. Remember Jackie Charlton getting done by the F.A. for revealing (on Parkinson?) that he had a little black book with player's names in who "he owed" Class act.
Remember being taken to Goodison a few times in the mid 60's. My father used to be a season ticket holder at Spurs, so trips to my gran in Bromborough would usually coincide with Spurs playing at either ground.
Always remember the Z cars theme; the toffeees getting thrown into the crowd; great players - I had a soft spot for Sandy Brown for some unknown reason, but mainly Alex Young. On holiday for a few days in the Yorkshire dales last month I bought his "Goals at Goodison" book for only £8 at a second hand book shop. Know it's difficult to get hold of, any idea of it's value? It has a very good dustwrapper as well.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:12 pm 
Post subject: Re: Marquis

Auchinleckian wrote:
You're right, it would be de Sade type players, cruel but inventive with it. Remember Jackie Charlton getting done by the F.A. for revealing (on Parkinson?) that he had a little black book with player's names in who "he owed" Class act.
Remember being taken to Goodison a few times in the mid 60's. My father used to be a season ticket holder at Spurs, so trips to my gran in Bromborough would usually coincide with Spurs playing at either ground.
Always remember the Z cars theme; the toffeees getting thrown into the crowd; great players - I had a soft spot for Sandy Brown for some unknown reason, but mainly Alex Young. On holiday for a few days in the Yorkshire dales last month I bought his "Goals at Goodison" book for only £8 at a second hand book shop. Know it's difficult to get hold of, any idea of it's value? It has a very good dustwrapper as well.

I think it sells for £15-20.. a class act was The Golden Ghost/Vision. I haven't mention it on here before but my late relative (the aptly named) Bill Dean played in The Golden Vision play in the late 60s.

Sandy Brown was on the pitch at the back end of last season. He's not very well - wheelchair bound as well. He got a great reception along with some of the other legends of latter years - Hickson, Wilson, Kendall, Harvey, Trebilcock etc..

Alex Young is still revered by Everton fans...and he repays that reverence. A while back he presented his framed 66 Cup Winners medal to the Former Players Foundation - they don't make 'em like that anymore - a true hero for all Jambos and Toffees.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm 
Post subject:

The daddy of 'em all must have been Eddie Clamp at the Molineux. Hard man doesn't even start to sum him up.

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
grimsbybarralad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

Wulfrunian wrote:
The daddy of 'em all must have been Eddie Clamp at the Molineux. Hard man doesn't even start to sum him up.

Well he certainly had the name for it..
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:35 pm 
Post subject: sade

What, Eddie?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: