Football Programmes Centre

leeds united item
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
leeds united item

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm 
Post subject: leeds united item

i have a silver plated item and can any please tell me what this item is please. the middle of the item says friendly game ethnukos achnas v leeds united achnas stadium 24/1/2007

foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject:

Is this one of those quizzes where something is photographed from an unusual angle if so I think its an ashtray.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Its a silver plated item
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flackwell Lad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

A bit of old tat and cheap as chips.
Poolec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure about the item - ashtray looks a good shout - but in terms of the match it finished 1:1.

Assistant Manager Gus Poyet, who was playing in his familiar midfield role, scored his first goal for Leeds United in the fortieth minute. There was a crowd of about two thousand, which was boosted by a contingent of about three hundred from Leeds and a large number of British Servicemen. He netted a terrific volley just before the end of the first half to give United a 1-0 lead against the Cypriots, but the lead was short-lived as Matt Heath conceded a penalty for handball less than a minute later to allow the home side to equalize.

Poyet had played in an impromptu thirty-five minute each half behind closed doors game against Dan Petrescu's Unirea Urziceni, a top-flight Romanian team who were also taking a break on the Island, So the game against the Cypriots was not his debut. In that game Leeds had gone down to the Romanians 0-3 in a game which apart from Poyet, had included trialist defender Adrian Eincsi, making probably his only ever appearance in a Leeds shirt. It was thought that other trialists might take the field against Ethnikos Achnas but Gus Poyet was a surprise inclusion as Leeds had twenty-two players in the tour squad. But Dennis Wise utilised the majority of his squad during the game and was frustrated to see his side denied in the second half by a number of offside decisions.

A programme was issued for the game !
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm 
Post subject: Re: leeds united item

dangerman wrote:
i have a silver plated item and can any please tell me what this item is please. the middle of the item says friendly game ethnukos achnas v leeds united achnas stadium 24/1/2007

If it was an ashtray it would have a place for the fag to sit on the side, it is a silver plated dish probably given to players and dignatories with the teams in the centre in their club colours, why would anyone want to grind the name of leeds united with dirty filthy ash from cigarettes Sherlock Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am 

[quote="manchesterunitedman1 why would anyone want to grind the name of leeds united with dirty filthy ash from cigarettes Sherlock Laughing[/quote]

No....no, I must not answer this rhetorical question Smile
Poolec

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:31 am 

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

If it was an ashtray it would have a place for the fag to sit on the side, it is a silver plated dish probably given to players and dignatories with the teams in the centre in their club colours, why would anyone want to grind the name of leeds united with dirty filthy ash from cigarettes Sherlock Laughing

I was just going by the teams. Had it been Man U then clearly I would have opted for a spitoon ! Smile
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Post subject:

Looks like a begging bowl to me.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:09 am 

Poolec wrote:

I was just going by the teams. Had it been Man U then clearly I would have opted for a spitoon ! Smile

hahaha then you could have poured it all over the ashtray! Very Happy
dangerman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Post subject:

i think it goes on a stand as there are 6 holes arond the edge
Eck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:05 pm 

I would if it was a Celtic one. Nod
dangerman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Post subject:

Eck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

I hope it does well,it is a nice item for a Leeds fan.
dangerman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

thanks hope it does
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: