Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscobbler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:29 am 
Post subject:

Crystal Palace away again. This time from 15th February 1958.
This was to be the last season of Division Three South with the bottom 12 teams joining the bottom 12 of Division Three North to form the Fourth Division for 1958/59 season.
And it was to be 13th that Northampton finished; the highest finishing place that meant Division 4 football for the following season. The Cobblers finished 3 points behind the 12th placed team Colchester.

This was to be a good afternoon for Northampton as they won 3-1 with goals from Hawkings (2) and Tebbutt in front of 16,245 at Selhurst Park.

www.ntfcmemorabilia.weebly.com
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:05 pm 
Post subject:

It was "lucky thirteen" for Derby on this day 67 years ago.

They had won their previous 12 games in league and cup with a combined goal aggregate of 51 for and only 9 against......so the goalless first half must have been a disappointment for the 22,825 spectators.

Second half goals from Angus Morrison and Peter Doherty (from the penalty spot) gave the Rams a two goal advantage and, though the Swans pulled one back late on, the winning sequence extended to thirteen.....with the return game between the two sides scheduled for 5 days later.

4 page issue for 2d included a tricky six question quiz for the fans to amuse themselves with at half time....eg "which team lost a game 9-1 despite being all square at the interval?"

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm 
Post subject:

An 8-1 defeat for Maidenhead in the Corinthian League Memorial Shield in 1952.

A 2-1 victory at Aylesbury United in the Berks & Bucks Cup in 1957

And finally in 1974 a 1-0 defeat at Hampton in the Isthmian League Division 1

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 am 
Post subject:

A home game against Brentford for Northampton on 16th February 1957.

The Cobblers ended up comfortable winners with a 5-1 scoreline; Asher (2) Woan (2) and an own goal in front of 9,306 at the County Ground.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

Back 68 years now and, as the war drew to an end and on the day the US military did their thing at Iwo Jima, the penultimate game in the qualifying round of the League Cup (North) took place.
Derby were unbeaten in all 8 of their previous games in this competition so the half-time score, of 2-0 to the Foxes, must have really surprised the 17.546 spectators.
A half-time rant from the manager (and a few sucks at a rationed orange, presumably) saw the Rams mount a second-half comeback and goals from Sammy Crooks and Dally Duncan earned a draw.

Hard-to-find 1d single sheet issue for this match.
Teams on the front, fixtures on the reverse and that was your lot for a penny.
Raich Carter had to miss this game in the end, his place taken by a youngster by the surname Knight (1 of only 2 games he played for the Rams)

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

The 17th February 1951 saw a first ever visit to Colchester United for the Cobblers in Colchester's first ever league season.

It wasn't a happy trip though, with the league new boys coming out on top 2-1, Mitchell with Northampton's goal in front of 7,048.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am 
Post subject:

A mere fledgling 51 years ago today. February 17th 1962

FA Cup 5th Rd, United triumph 3-1 over Norwich.

This season's Cover generally regarded as a 'classic' United cover. To be fair it's not saying much.

Usual 12 page fare, reflecting on the current teams 12 match unbeaten run and recalls the historic runs of 1899 and 1935.

There's an article on the forthcoming World Cup where the author suggests having a wager on England to win the World Cup in Chile at 18/1.

Usual rear page advert from Thomas Ward and Sons (Still going strong). In the centre pages, there's 'kick off with Tennants Gold Label Barley Wine'. Used to see many an old biddy kicking off down at the social when i was young after a few of these Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:35 pm 
Post subject:

1961 and the semi-final of the Corinthian League Memorial Shield at Horsham. Maidenhead won 3-2 but Horsham protested that the referee did not play the full ninety minutes. Unbelievably, the protest was upheld and a replay ordered. This was played again at Queen Street (a super old fashioned non-league ground that sadly is now covered with houses) on April 22nd and a disinterested Maidenhead side lost 6-0.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
Post subject:

Back exactly 80 years and a rather historic day for Aldershot - their very first season in the league but it was in the FA Cup that they were grabbing the headlines. After victories over Clapton Orient, Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers and Millwall, they faced a 5th Round tie at Derby, who themselves had negotiated 2 tricky away games at Wolves and Southend to reach this stage.

30,048 - virtually double the average league gate - paid receipts of £2,472 12 shillings to view the Shots' run finally come to an end, a 0-2 defeat courtesy of two goals from centre-forward Jack Bowers.

The 16 page programme cost 2d, reasonable amount of reading and the usual evocative advertisements. A pity the original owner couldn't have left his fountain pen at home, though!

Frampton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

As were playing them tomorrow a fairly recent programme from our first season in the championship (The play off final season).

This is the game Neil Warnock started to hate us claming the referee celebrated Jamie McCombes equaliser deep in to stoppage time in a 1-1 draw. Laughing Laughing Laughing

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 am 
Post subject:

Back to 18th February 1950 and the Cobblers had a home game against Aldershot.
The game finished 1-1 with English scoring the goal in front of 14,451 at the County Ground.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 am 
Post subject:

52 years ago.......February 18th 1961 Aston Villa v Spurs FA Cup 5th Rd

12 page programme, costing 3d. Given to me by a mate a long time ago at school. Spurs on the way to the double.

Villa's intermediate Team (3rd Team) get a couple of mentions early on as they had beaten Shrewsbury 11-0 the previous week. It also mentions that Deaves, Town's keeper made several splendid saves. Team Picture of Spurs on page 4, great footballers, not so great looking.

There's also a full page article on villa's greatest ever team, I can only assume from the names its around 1913.

Train fare to Newcastle the following saturday 40 shillings return.

And here's a little bonus

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/aston-villa-v-spurs/query/Ewan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 am 
Post subject:

I can't wait to join in this excellent thread but I disconnected my printer,i'll set it up again soon Clap
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 am 
Post subject:

This day 47 years ago.......... February 19th, 1966

Ouch! On the face of it a standard West Ham 12 page issue from 1966 and a 4-0 defeat for the Blades as well.

And you'd be right, but this was also the final league of Blades Legend....the late Joe Shaw. Shaw's Blades appearance record is unlikely to ever be broken.

The programme includes best wishes to Bobby Moore who was in line to make his 36th appearance for England in a friendly against West Germany on the following wednesday, and to Geoff Hurst who the club were hoping would make his England debut.

I wondered what happened to that Geoff Hurst Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

The programme includes best wishes to Bobby Moore who was in line to make his 36th appearance for England in a friendly against West Germany on the following wednesday, and to Geoff Hurst who the club were hoping would make his England debut.

I wondered what happened to that Geoff Hurst Laughing

He had not a bad year as it happens. Smile
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm 
Post subject:

Back 76 years now to 1937 and the 5th round of the FA Cup.
Having eliminated Fulham and Chelsea, 3rd Division (South) Millwall were rewarded with a home tie against Derby.

A record crowd for the old Den of - amazingly - 48,672 squeezed themselves in. Indeed, the gates were locked with an hour to go till kick off. It's a wonder there wasn't a serious incident as the conditions were so bad that, with 10 minutes till kick off, a huge mass of fans decided to rush the pitch and head for the main stand area (presumably in order that they could breathe!) but the police successfully forced them back.

Millwall, who had to play their obviously and understandably very nervous reserve 'keeper Johnny Burke, conceded a soft opener as Eric Keen's free kick went through a crowd of players, through Burke's hands and into the net. A near riot ensued as the Rams players taunted the home crowd with some rather OTT celebrations (see, not just a modern phenomena!). A 30 yard strike from Dave Mangnall, however, levelled matters just before half-time.
A pulsating second half saw Derby hit the Lions' crossbar three times before, with 5 minutes to play, Jimmy McCartney's strike gave Millwall the victory and sparked off another mass pitch invasion.

So, a true giant-killing act and, if reports are to be believed, a classic cup tie in the true tradition of the FA Cup.

The programme is a really impressive 12 pager with loads of reading and stats and adverts for, amongst other things, the Lewisham Hippodrome (featuring "those radio cads the Western Brothers, "the popular padre Howard Rogers" and the wonderfully named "Wally Pantzer and his Midgets"), greyhound racing at the New Cross Stadium, H.G.Coulson (who lent money from £3 upwards 'without security') and "Eve, the sensational dancer" at the Empire Theatre, New Cross.

Definitely one of the favourite issues in my collection, despite the result....the eponymous pre-war issue that you could spend all day now reading.
I've included the team line-ups below the scan of the cover.

I do wonder whatever became not so much of Wally Pantzer - but his midgets....

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
Post subject:

Should say - might not be around tomorrow, so I posted tomorrow's one today.
If that makes sense Smile
chriscobbler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

Back to the only season of Division 1 football for Northampton and a home game against Newcastle on 19th February 1966.
The Cobblers won the game 3-1 with goals from Martin (2) and Moore in front of 14,541 at the County Ground.
This was only the Cobblers' 6th victory of the season but still left them languishing in 20th place.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:28 pm 
Post subject:

A 4-2 defeat at Maidstone in the Corinthian League in 1955

A goalless draw at Hendon in the Amateur Cup in 1972. Maidenhead lost the replay 1-0 and Hendon reached the final where they defeated Enfield 2-0 at Wembley.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:

and the wonderfully named "Wally Pantzer and his Midgets"),

I do wonder whatever became not so much of Wally Pantzer - but his midgets....

Cracking stuff, derby, but i think you'll find it was Willy Pantzer and his dancing midgets.

The show looks a riot, I'm gutted to have missed them.

Not sure, what became of them but one of them, later went onto play for Wimbledon and Chelsea and was called Dennis.
| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: