Football Programmes Centre

A programme from This Day in History...............
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A programme from This Day in History...............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
Post subject:

Wrong day?
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm 
Post subject:

clsyorkshire wrote:
Wrong day?

You'll have to excuse Bazza, he's not had his medicine yet today

Either that, or he's just another thick t**t from the midlands Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

I knew there would be a know it all on the forum, but the match was actually played on the 12th February because of the Army training on the Saturday.

Last edited by BAZZABAGGIES on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

A Corinthian League Memorial Shield fixture from 1955 at Tilbury which Maidenhead won 5-3.

And in 1966 it was a 2-0 defeat away to Dagenham in an Athenian League Premier Division fixture. For many years Dagenham issued larger than usual size programmes which were probably a nightmare to keep in pristine condition.

clsyorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:

And if the thread was entitled, "A match from This Day in History...............", you'd have a valid point.. Easy
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

Back 47 years to Northampton's one and only season inthe top flight. By February, they were hovering around the relegation zone with only Blackburn and Fulham on fewer points.

The trip to the Victoria Ground, however, didn't help matters as, in front of 16,986 fans, goals from Graham Moore and Bobby Brown weren't enough as Stoke found the net 6 times in reply.

16 page issue for 6d - not too bad for reading material but produced on the cheap side as the two main articles have no immediate relevance to Stoke City.

Very strange advert on page 7 for the Silverdale Co-operative Society which features a footballer with a neck like a giraffe heading for goal. It's a bit unnerving..the neck is very bendy...and reminds me in the jack-in-the-box in the Twilight Zone episode "It's A Good Life" (should anyone recall that one)

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Back 47 years to Northampton's one and only season inthe top flight. By February, they were hovering around the relegation zone with only Blackburn and Fulham on fewer points.

The trip to the Victoria Ground, however, didn't help matters as, in front of 16,986 fans, goals from Graham Moore and Bobby Brown weren't enough as Stoke found the net 6 times in reply.

We did actually win some games that season. Wait for 19th Feb!!

www.ntfcmemorabilia.weebly.com
chriscobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 am 
Post subject:

Northampton v Walsall from 12th February 1949.

The 1948/49 season was not a very succesful one for the Cobblers who finished 20th in Division Three South. Northampton managed only 12 wins in the season (9 at home and 3 away) but this game was not one of them. Walsall won 1-0 in front of 8,694.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

A 1-0 defeat for Maidenhead at the Saffrons on this day in 1960. Maidenhead finished runners-up in the Corinthian League that season, six points behind Uxbridge. Their efforts to win the league title wasn't helped by having to play five league fixtures between 2nd May and 7th May. The programme is a large four page issue, printed black on gold paper.

The inclement weather in early 1963 meant that Maidenhead didn't play a match between Boxing Day 1962 and this date in 1963. A folded sheet was issued for the Mithras Cup semi-final 1st leg tie at Oxford City which Maidenhead lost 3-0. Despite a second leg 2-1 win, Oxford progressed to the final 4-2 on aggregate. This programme took me 34 years to find!

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm 
Post subject:

This day, 13th February 1999,....14 years ago
FA Cup 5th Rd..... Arsenal v Sheffield United

Nothing unusual about the programme, just the game as Kanu and Overmars write themselves into United folklore with the 'unfair goal'.

One more time then... 'Same old Arsenal, always cheating' Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

Way back 76 years and, after two successive defeats (conceding 11 goals in the process), the Rams managed both a victory and a clean sheet beating a relegation-threatened Bolton 3-0 in front of a gate of 23,046.

The return from injury of Sammy Crooks on the right wing was key, as he set up all three goals - 2 for Dai Astley and one for Charlie Napier.

Result moved Derby up to 8th but sent Bolton down to 21st - one place above a struggling Manchester United.

16 page programme for 2d which has probably less in the way of reading than most First Division sides' issues of the time - but is full of fascinating adverts! (See the scan appended below the programme....I wonder who won?)

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 am 
Post subject:

Gillingham v Northampton from 13th February 1954.

A good season for the Cobblers who ended up finishing in 6th position in Division Three South.

They finished with the best home record but the away record halted any promotion hopes. With only 2 away wins all season this meant Northampton finished 13 points behind the champions, Ipswich.

This was again an unsuccessful trip away from the County Ground as Gillingham won 2-1 in front of 9,558.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

On this day in 1948, the 1st team lost 2-0 at home to Windsor & Eton in the Berks & Bucks Benevolent Cup

whilst the Reserve side also lost 2-1 to Ruislip in the Great Western Combination

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1955 and a Baseball Ground floodlit friendly arranged at quite short notice.

Despite having found the net in only 1 of their previous 6 matches, playing under the lights must have suited the Rams players, as they hammered the Austrian opposition to the tune of 6-0.

4 page issue costing 2d. Quite a hard programme to find nowadays, as are most of the 4 page issues Derby produced for the early 50s floodlit friendlies.

chriscobbler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:49 am 
Post subject:

Back again to the 1952/53 season. On 14th February 1953 Northampton travelled to Crystal Palace. But the Cobblers ended up on the wrong side of a 7 goal thriller losing 4-3 in front of 6,409 at Selhurst Park.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:29 am 
Post subject:

chriscobbler wrote:
Back again to the 1952/53 season. On 14th February 1953 Northampton travelled to Crystal Palace. But the Cobblers ended up on the wrong side of a 7 goal thriller losing 4-3 in front of 6,409 at Selhurst Park.

Nice cover.....but must be murder being a Palace collector - did they ever put the opposition/date on the cover pre-1968?
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Post subject:

15/2/47 Blackburn Rovers v Derby County 1-1

Same date Plymouth v Leicester a 4-0 home win
Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

A 3-1 win for Maidenhead in this Spartan League fixture against Apsley (now Hemel Hempstead Town) in 1936. Usual 12 page black and white programme issued.

In 1958, Maidenhead were at Eastbourne for a Corinthian League fixture and drew 2-2. Maidenhead won their first Corinthian League title this season finishing one point ahead of Slough Town. Usual large 4 page programme, printed black on gold.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1958 and, not just a local derby, but also a bit of a relegation battle as 16th placed Rams entertained 19th placed Notts in front of a very healthy crowd of 21,304.

Early "gift" goal for Reg Ryan after 2 minutes was the difference between the sides in the first half, Dennis Woodhead adding a second on 65 minutes.
Cue a sudden upsurge in Notts play and, after hitting the woodwork three times, pulled a goal back through Jack Lane on 73 minutes but couldn't make any further inroad into a Derby defence ably marshalled by new signing Les Moore.
Final score, 2-1 to the Rams.

This was also the first opportunity Derby County had to put into print their sorrow at the events in Munich earlier in the month - scan appended below the programme.

Standard 16 page issue, limited reading (as ever) but interesting adverts for the "new Vauxhall Victor", 21-inch tellys available to hire at 12/6 a week and return coach travel to the upcoming game at Anfield for the princely sum of 13 shillings.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:10 am 
Post subject:

44 years ago, February 15th 1969

Sheffield United v Cardiff City (Postponed)

12 page programme, made significantly bulkier by the Football League review Vol 3 No 29.

With freezing conditions, United made a hearty attempt to get the game on and laid 10 tonnes of straw on the pitch. Unfortunately, heavy overnight snow led to the referee calling the game off. Cardiff City had stayed overnight in Buxton, surrounded by lots of very nervous sheep.

The football league review had the classic advert 'A pipe does something for a man'. Hands up, Who remembers St Bruno tobacco.

Incidentally due to a large number of postponements that day, the football league moved quickly to scotch suggestions of a winter break. Some things never change.

The game was finally played 3 weeks later on 11th March. A new programme was issued for this game
| More
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 5 of 26

Jump to: