Football Programmes Centre

Royal Mail critics beware
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Royal Mail critics beware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
Post subject:

Good old Comrade Pat!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm 
Post subject: ROYAL MAIL

No issues from me, i am more of a receiver than sender. I insist 99% on recorded delivery or the special service signed for/insured when buying and i am willing to pay the extra to get it on time and safe.

A pet hate are ebay sellers who KNOW they have a scarce item and just put down £1 postage!.

I would not be happy to lose this Riyal Mail service for certain!

They do a great job and of course there will be situations where items will get mislaid or lost, if would be interesting to see the stats for every special delivery item and recorded post item that has been sent say in the first 6 months of this year and the REAL rate of successfull arrivals compared to failures/claims.

For the widest selection on flickr for Newton Heath/Manchester United programmes and memorabilia from 1886 and covering so far over 280+ catergories visit me at www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/ to see the regular uploads or www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see all catergories at one time. New items being added to the 6400 images already listed on a regualr basis. Leslie Millman Manchesterunitedman1 Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

I would honestly say, the postal service is so good and efficient in this country we only notice when things go wrong, then people get very upset because they take it for granted that it should always work perfect. And some want to replace us with unemployable youths or cheap foreign labour for half the money because ""anyone can do it"" . That's fine, it's your programme collection at risk . Laughing Laughing
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie, are the Post Office sponsoring you for this endorsement? Are you in with a shout of postie of the week award, and a chance to park your bike in the manager's car parking space? I think we should know....
Tintowner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm 
Post subject:

We once had somebody in our Town who had worked everywhere in the area. He wasn't very good at any of the jobs he had, and if he didn't quit them, he was sacked from them. His timekeeping, attendance and attitude was diabolical...we all thought that eventually he would be unemployable and be out of work forever...but.........he got a job with the local Royal Mail as a postman.

'Anybody can do it' .......it proved to many of us (at the time) that they would/did employ anybody.

He lasted about 3 months before he 'walked'!
tackler7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
I would honestly say, the postal service is so good and efficient in this country we only notice when things go wrong, then people get very upset because they take it for granted that it should always work perfect. And some want to replace us with unemployable youths or cheap foreign labour for half the money because ""anyone can do it"" . That's fine, it's your programme collection at risk . Laughing Laughing

I agree. As my mother is fond of saying "You'll miss it when its gone."
"Efficiency savings" are an excuse to run the service into the ground so it can be privatised. I have not seen one privatised service that is better or cheaper than before. Certainly not the buses or trains or gas or electric or water...

I used to pass my postman at approx 7am each morning when he was on his rounds and I was on my way to work. Now the post doesn't get to me until the early afternoon. You might see this as a decline but it is nothing compared to having to go your local collection point each day to pick up your post - which is certainly going to cost you more to post.

Crying or Very sad
Senior82

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:49 am 
Post subject:

The Shetlands will surely lose the Royal Mail in 2014 anyway - but will President Salmond form his own postal service?
goodison

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 am 
Post subject:

There is a big possibilty that Shetland and Orkney wouldn't go with an independent Scotland, would stay part of the current setup instead if they didn't vote for independence in the Isles.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

goodison wrote:
There is a big possibilty that Shetland and Orkney wouldn't go with an independent Scotland, would stay part of the current setup instead if they didn't vote for independence in the Isles.

Daily Mail-esque nonsense I'm afraid!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

Senior82 wrote:
The Shetlands will surely lose the Royal Mail in 2014 anyway - but will President Salmond form his own postal service?

Scottish Mail sounds good Wink

If there is a Yes vote, there would likely be elections within 12 months and I would doubt the SNP would prevail. Many of those who vote SNP do so because Independence is their primary concern, once that is achieved many will return to the party that they most closely identify with.

No President I'm afraid, Head of State remains QEII, Union of the Crowns and all that.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

Oh and to bring this back in line with topic, Royal Mail do a very good job in my book.
pnefan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

I've gotta admit

Wouldn't like to be a postie trolley dolley -

especially in pouring rain , hail and snow .

They're rounds used to be less than 3 hours - ok and 20 mins 2nd delivery with a tiny bundle .

Now its a 4 - 5 hour assault course .

Crafty RM just make the rounds bigger and bigger

All i'm saying is some posties ran round like idiots thus not helping themselves or their colleagues No

Not to mention those leaflets they have to deliver for less and less money .
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:34 am 
Post subject:

I once had a 1956 FA Cup Final programme delivered all shredded up in a plastic bag and a note saying ; "Sorry for the delay in your mail, if there is any problem with it do not hesitate to get in touch with us"
Ive also had quite a few recorded delivery items that i have sent go missing as well as many being delivered but not recorded on the track and trace system, thankfully buyers have been honest, apart from the ones that werent , but I will never know will i ????
Last week my daughter had a parcel sentr by recorded delivery ( something off E-Bay ) and the postie couldnyt even be bothered to try and deliver it. He just put on Track And Trace , "The person has MOVED AWAY" and then he immediately sent it back to the SENDER who received it back the very next day , 2 days after posting it. The recipient WAS IN , but no knock on the dooor and not even a card saying "whilst you were out etc etc etc" . . . he just sent it right back to where it came from. Luckily the Post Office where it was originally posted sent it BACK AGAIN without charging a 2nd time , it was prompt ly delivered the very next day, wether it was by the plonker that had returned it 2 dyas earlier is unknown, but he did decide to knock on this occasion Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Wullie, are the Post Office sponsoring you for this endorsement? Are you in with a shout of postie of the week award, and a chance to park your bike in the manager's car parking space? I think we should know....

I know, I wish I hadn't criticised them now,if I back up my arse any further i'll turn myself inside out. Laughing
martino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm 
Post subject: Royal Mail

Probably tempting fate here but I have not had many problems with Royal Mail.

I send a parcel to the USA 3 or 4 times a year - just under 5kg. In the past this has gone by Royal Mail surface mail for around £34 (takes around 28 days). This week I was told that this service is no longer available. Options were to pay £67 as Royal Mail now sub-contracts this service or to split into three smaller packages up to 2kg each and send these by surface mail!

An Internet search revealed that I could send the 5kg parcel by Fed Ex Economy - booked online, collected from house, fully tracked and sent by Air Mail for £34. So it did it that way and it was received in three days!

As I have mentioned in other threads I no longer use Royal Mail Standard Parcels and use www.collectplus.co.uk instead - more convenient, cheaper, fully tracked and quick. They sent me an E Mail this week saying they are negatiating for overseas deliveries so this hopefully will be available soon.
giorgio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 am 
Post subject:

I've had a number of issues over the years. The worst one was when I received a 'You were out' card for a Recorded Delivery. It wasn't at the Sorting Office the following day or the day after that. On the third day, the same thing, so I asked the chap on the counter to look into it and he came back saying it had been sent to their main depot in Ireland even though Recorded Deliveries are supposed to be held for a couple of weeks or so.
On contacting Customer Service I was told that there was a three month backlog for checking mail at the main depot.
Eventually got the programme but no apology or compensation.
Once had a Special Delivery go missing as well.
Despite all this, I'm not complaining. Grateful for the service I get as most of it arrives safe and sound.
Irish Mick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

generally have had very little problems with the Royal Mail - probably 99% success rate in letters arriving no problem. I have run into a problem now and they are anything but helpful! I sold a ticket to a buyer in Holland on ebay for £70, and because of ebays policy to refund if a buyer says an item does not arrive, I had to charge for international signed for which was about £8. The tracking said it was delivered and signed for on 4th December. The buyer, who has 100% feedback and sounds genuine says it did not arrive. He lives only with his wife and neither signed for it. I asked to see who signed for it and was told to fill in my life story on a form. Today the Royal Mail replied saying that they have a signature but wont tell me who signed it - case closed! they then said it is up to the recipient to chase it up in Holland!! i am going to ask him to do this , but , if he is at his work, he will hardly help me.
giorgio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 am 
Post subject:

Have you tried the Dutch Track and Trace service? I've never personally used the Dutch one but assume they have one the same as Italy and Russia that I've used. You might get more information there. Very worrying situation for all of us if you don't get your money back. Good luck.
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 am 
Post subject:

I've had a few issues now but i'm not sure if the problem was with the mail or the senders, it is not always clear so I have 0-4 issues with the mail in the last few months.

Last edited by Eck on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
oldbolt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 am 
Post subject:

I find the Royal Mail service very good generally.I had a similar issue with an item possibly going missing abroad last year.It arrived eventually but there the was the worry that despite paying for international signed for plus RM insurance i'd lose out if the buyer said it hadn't arrived.For ebay/paypal to find in the sellers favour there has to be an online signature showing proof of delivery but in some countries RMs' overseas partner don't provide the service.It is a waste of time using RM in those countries if you want to be sure of getting your money back.A different courier who provide an online signature has to be used.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: