Football Programmes Centre

Football Programme restoration
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football Programme restoration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
upthecounty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:57 pm 
Post subject: Football Programme restoration

Afternoon all
I have a few programmes with writing on, tape marks, fragile spines etc.
Can anyone recommend a quality programme restorer? If so would you be prepared to pass me there number and an indication of what they charge?
Kind regards
Scott
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

Whats everyones views on programme restoration?

Does it add to the value or decrease it as it's not entirely the original anymore?

Are there tell tale signs if a programme has been restored?
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:45 pm 
Post subject:

I have heard of one or two but the prices are usually inhibitive unless it's a really valuable one (30s or earlier FA Cup Final for example)..

As far as condition goes it would be nice to be selective and yes when spares come along I will always keep the better condition one. I guess you can't really afford to be too selective when some only show up once in a blue (red, black and white...) moon!
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:29 pm 
Post subject:

This guy is the best in the business, but as has been already mentioned it is only worth doing for valuable items.
Web link below:
http://www.progpres.co.uk/
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:39 pm 
Post subject: restoration

There's a lot of snobbery about restoration, especially among the "old guard" of collectors. Personally, I think such snobbery is ridiculous, and would not even be considered elsewhere.
If you use the analogy of pranging your car, which suffers signifcant damage, would you refuse to restore it to it's original condition, on the basis that it would not be right, somehow, to do so? Of course not. There would be no antique car market otherwise. I sometimes use invisible tape myself if a programme requires a discreet repair on the top / bottom of a spine; I erase scores, quite well, I think, with a very fine ladie's nail emery board - which only works when score's been written on a white background, and paper is sufficient to withstand a light rub, like a 50's FACup Final or England international.
If a programme needs greater restoration, I always feel it's worth it, and have sometimes bid ridiculously small fees on ebay for rare items in a poor condition, on the basis that an extra outlay for restoration will at least double the value of it.
certainlynot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Had a prog restored by the man mentioned by Holtie . Reason i got it done , wasnt to make the prog more valuable but to give it extended life . B4 the restoration i was reluctant to look at it or turn a page , now its spot on . This prog can now be passed down to kids and so on whereas b4 it was on its last legs . Should took a pic of b4 and after .
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost?
certainlynot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

If you on about my prog Mick , £80 and worth every penny . I'm wondering if the bloke who done it still has the "Before" pic i sent him .
ForestMick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

Wow, didnt realise it would be that much!!I guess you get what you pay for, but I'm glad you told me how much, because that gives you a good idea of how much the programmes have to be worth in order to consider restoration.
certainlynot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

I have found a pic of the prog before it got restored but dont no how to show it on here , is it poss for me to send it in mail to somebody on here and they can show it ? it wont copy/paste on here .
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

certainlynot wrote:
I have found a pic of the prog before it got restored but dont no how to show it on here , is it poss for me to send it in mail to somebody on here and they can show it ? it wont copy/paste on here .

I have pm'd you my email address mate. Send me the picture via email, I'll get it uploaded for you so you can post it in here.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:43 pm 
Post subject:

Blimey what a mess it was. Really want to see what the after picture looks like now.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Blimey what a mess it was. Really want to see what the after picture looks like now.

Yeah - me too, ive seen some great examples on ProgPres so im expecting that an excellent job was done!
certainlynot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 pm 
Post subject:

Hope its come thro ok , havent a clue how i got it in the mail .
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 pm 
Post subject:

Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:14 pm 
Post subject:

What an amazing job he has done on it!

You can't even tell it's been restored either!

Definately well worth the £80 you payed too!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

That is superb.

Well worth it.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
certainlynot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

Barrett wrote:
Whats everyones views on programme restoration?

Does it add to the value or decrease it as it's not entirely the original anymore?

Are there tell tale signs if a programme has been restored?

Just to re-itterate , If i hadnt got it restored i doubt if it would of seen another 10/15 years . Will also say i took a chance letting this man work on the prog as i had only seen pics which he said he'd done . Also i didnt get it restored for monetary value , got it restored for posterity . The most noticable mark is the bottom right hand corner , paper not as thick as the original so it has left a slight rebate . I have the '53 cup final which is covered in pen scribble , the man say if its "BIRO" he cant remove it , i think he say "FOUNTAIN" ink is removable , mine is biro , grrr .
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 pm 
Post subject:

What an unbelievable transformation.
I've had the chance to buy old and tatty programmes before and never given them a second thought, but that's going to change now. Why let an old piece of paper disintergrate before your eyes when it can be saved and restored to such quality. Gutted now as I could have had the Arsenal v Darwen 1932 cup game, but left it as it was so fragile!!
By the way, certainlynot, had a look at progpres website and it says that he CAN remove biro. Give him another call, maybe he's found another method of removal?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: