Football Programmes Centre

Your first game and do you have the programme for that game?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Your first game and do you have the programme for that game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

Some great stories in this thread!
My first game I only have the vaguest of recollections of - was at Pittodrie (circa 1968, so aged 7) and was, I think, between East Germany and Switzerland in some UEFA Youth Tournament. No idea whether was a programme or not, though.
All I do recall is the almost empty terracing and me running around thinking this is more fun than going to the playground.

Cue 10-15 years of heading to Pittodrie to watch a club I tried to like but just could never, ever take to.

And so, at last, to the first game at Derby which was in Sept '81 - a pen friend (remember them?) had written to the club saying I was dying to get to a game and he managed to get me a comp ticket to the Popside (still got that - and the programme and the letter from the club secretary)........we beat Leicester (who included a young Lineker up front) 3-1 with Steve Buckley hitting a screamer of a free kick into the net from 35 yards out.

We all have seminal moments in life - and going thru the turnstiles and seeing the BBG (at last!) on a beautiful sunny day with a huge crowd already in attendance, well, it's still enough to make me stiff upper lip wobble more than a tad Smile

Actually, the free kick was probably from 25 yards, the sun was out but it likely wasn't blazing, the crowd was big but not capacity............though that's nostalgia for you, isn't it?
Blackjack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

What a great thread.
My first match was on the North Bank at the Vetch Field and we were playing Newport County 17th February 1978. I went with the youth club in a battered old minibus, which we used for away matches when we played for the club. It was a friday night, never went on a saturday as we played, and this was probably due to a Welsh rugby international being played on the saturday.
1 month later a certain John Toshack became manager and I was at his first game against Watford on another friday night. I've still got the programmes for both the games. I nagged my Dad endlessly until he got a season ticket for the following season, in the old double decker stand ( if anyone went to the Vetch years ago it was the wooden subbuteo stand in the away end.
I've been passionate ever since about the Swans and seen us go up and down the league numerous times.
weymouthPIE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 am 
Post subject:

My first Notts County game was on 30th Aprill 2005 at home to Bury in league 2. We lost 1-0, cat remember who scored for Bury but i know it was a free kick from the edge of the area very early in the second half. Have the programme neatly stored in a binder.

Moved to Weymouth in January 2007 and watched Weymouth for the first time on the 24th March, a 3-1 victory over Tamworth. I did buy a programme from that game however I Sold it in a collection of about 20 to another Weymouth fan a few months before I got into collecting programmes properly. Bitterly regret that now Confused

PM with any weymouth wants

please see my wants Smile
London Lilywhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

My first ever match and coincidentally between the two clubs I love:
Dover Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur in a pre-season friendly in 1993. Dover had just got promoted to the Conference Premier and Spurs were still reeling from feisty Sugar/Venables saga.

I seem to recall running onto the pitch at the end of the game, which finished 1-1, pen in hand to get signatures and succeeding in obtaining a young forward's scrawl by the name of Sol Campbell!

Unfortunately the biro pen leaked over my scarf and the programme a bit so there's a few ink smudges.

Will probably always be the most valuable programme (in sentimental terms) I ever own.
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 am 
Post subject:

Burnley Reserves v. Newcastle Reserves 15 September 1963. We lost 0-1 and I spent most of the game kicking a paper cup up and down at the back of the old Cricket Field end. Presume my dad bought a programme (green and white single sheet priced at 1d) but it probably got thrown away - I obtained a copy later though.

1st First Team game v, Blackpool at the Turf in August 1964 and I still have the programme purchased on the day. Same for my 1st away game at Hillsborough in May 1967 (we lost 0-7!) and for my 1st Workington game against Chorley at Borough Park in January 1984.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: