Football Programmes Centre

League Cup First Season 1960/1.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
League Cup First Season 1960/1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 pm 
Post subject: League Cup First Season 1960/1.

I just saw Portsmouth Man.City 2/11/60 single sheet sell for £350 on Ebay!!! I know that this first season is avidly collected by some, and that the competition was not that well received inititally. Is this one one of the holy grails for the competition. or have they paid over the top? Are there any others which make top money? Perhaps someone could enlighten the forum, well me at least.
DannyRoberts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm 
Post subject:

That was a third round tie.

Portsmouth went on to play Chelsea in the fourth round - another single sheet programme. That one usually fetches £400+ !!!!

Shocked
kenred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:41 pm 
Post subject: league Cup

Bradford city v Manchester United@ Valley Parade November 2nd,1960 afternoon Kick off ,is a very rare item .4,670 attended the match (I was one of them)and I have seen this programme listed @£200 on Ebay.Whether it sold for that amount I dont know.Uniteds first match in the Competition @ Exeter 19/10/1960 the first of a 2 leg Game is also a rarity ,but I think not as much as the Bradford game! Surprised
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 pm 
Post subject:

On the other hand, Derby's first game in the competition, at Watford, is comparatively easy to come by.

I had a nice little collection of 60/1 Lge Cup progs once upon a time - wish I'd held on to them now.
Senior82

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 am 
Post subject:

Quite glad Wednesday didn't enter until 1966!!
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 am 
Post subject:

aye aye rhubarb pie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am 
Post subject:

some first season league cup games fetch really good money,

bradford park avenue v birmingham fetched 230 pounds recently.

wish i had kept mine lol.
goodison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Post subject:

Quote:
No doubt these are worth more than my entire collection.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAN.....amp;_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTH.....amp;_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1961.....amp;_uhb=1

I think the Tranmere v Everton one is overpriced, from memory it usually goes for around £25-30. The game was postponed and issued with a 4 page update sheet, and goes for about £10 more with this sheet.
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am 
Post subject:

The finals at first were over 2 legs as well.I have a collection of over 600 and too many gaps to fill so it will be a few years before I start paying a lot of money for single items.
nozer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
Post subject: League Cup.

This one (single /sheet) is very hard to obtain , and often sells for £200+, oddly enough referd to has a Blackburn Rovers Reserve fixture , think at the time and very much like today the Clubs realy did not take this new knock-out cup serious.
mark01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City LC 60/61 now goes for £250 +
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 pm 
Post subject: Re: League Cup.

nozer wrote:

This one (single /sheet) is very hard to obtain , and often sells for £200+, oddly enough referd to has a Blackburn Rovers Reserve fixture , think at the time and very much like today the Clubs realy did not take this new knock-out cup serious.

On a lot of English programmes from the 60s it had the next match featured on the front of the programme and since it was often a reserve fixture like the one here so it could easily be mistaken for a reserve match..
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm 

nozer wrote:

Is that Frank Lord playing centre forward for Rochdale?
Read somewhere that no professional player ever sustained a higher number of serious injuries in their career than he did.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:52 pm 

derby1884 wrote:
nozer wrote:

Read somewhere that no professional player ever sustained a higher number of serious injuries in their career than he did.

Indeed it is, and - not a lot of people know this - the right half for Rochdale was none other than Pat Phoenix, more commonly known as Elsie Tanner. She never played again as the Rochdale players complained of her smoking in the communal bath tub and moaning about Minnie Caldwel's cat, Bobby, who used to piss all over her strawberry patch in her back garden Laughing
nozer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 pm 

Auchinleckian wrote:
derby1884 wrote:
nozer wrote:

Indeed it is, and - not a lot of people know this - the right half for Rochdale was none other than Pat Phoenix, more commonly known as Elsie Tanner. She never played again as the Rochdale players complained of her smoking in the communal bath tub and moaning about Minnie Caldwel's cat, Bobby, who used to piss all over her strawberry patch in her back garden Laughing

And Rochdale had some great players this era ,Enoch Powell,Mat Bushby, Jacky Milburn, Rody McDowell thay could even aford to play the great Dave MaCKay in goal ,makes you wonder why thay were so s88te.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: