Football Programmes Centre

First & Last - Designated "Official" opening m
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First & Last - Designated "Official" opening m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:20 am 
Post subject: First & Last - Designated "Official" opening m

I know that there are several ''first and last" league collectors on the forum, but one thing that has come to light recently for me is that the first few games at grounds do not always include the "official" opening.
match.

For example, Huddersfield's designated "official" opening of the McAlpine wasn't in 1994 when they moved, but pre-season in 1995/96 v Blackburn !

I probably started another thread on here about Colchester's "official" opening being v Bristol Rovers in October 2008, even though the first games were several weeks earlier.

Other examples I can think of are:
Wigan v Man Utd FR 1999 after opening games
Doncaster v Man Utd pre season 2007/08, after move in Dec 2006
Northampton v Forest 1994/95 after opening games
Middlesbro' v Sampdoria 1995/96 after opening games

I suspect there may be a few more, I've got in in my head that Morecambe may have designated a league match well into ther first season as the "official" opening.

Please update this thread with any more candidates.

Incidentally, I've just updated my first and last list which covers nearly 60 years of LEAGUE club moves and the various issues etc. Just send me a PM with your email if you want a copy sending on. It is probably more comprehensive than the list which is on the forum, but that source has been a great reference point, and many thanks also to forum member slightfold for his help in comparing notes.

[/i]
speedykev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:10 pm 
Post subject:

Could please send me a list to [email protected] and I'll see if I can add any additional information.

I'm almost certain Morecambe didn't have an official opening game.
weymouthPIE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

I know when Corby Town opened their new ground last season, the first game played at the ground was a pre season friendly on 25th July against Notts County.

But they played another friendly against a Glasgow Rangers XI on 9th November to 'officially' open the stadium

PM with any weymouth wants

please see my wants Smile
weymouthPIE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Also Colchester United's first game at the Weston Homes Stadium was on 16th August 2008 against Huddersfield Town, however the 'Official' opening was against Bristol Rovers on 4th October

PM with any weymouth wants

please see my wants Smile
ndnewsham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

Morecambes first match at the Globe Arena was the Carling Cup game against Coventry City. They were supposed to play Bolton Wanderers first and the official opening match was going to be against Preston NE but these 2 games were cancelled as the ground was not ready in time

Funnily enough, Wigans first game at the JJB Stadium was against Morecambe but the official opening game was against Manchester United
speedykev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

Barnet are leaving Underhill (their home for 106 years) at the end of this season and will relocate to a new purpose-built stadium sited at their training ground in Edgware.

http://www1.skysports.com/foot.....-confirmed
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

This thread really begs the question, what is an Official Opening? I would say it's just a ritzy friendly, against maybe foreign visitors, or against Manchester United, if they could get them. Of course the Official Opening, if indeed there is one, is not always the first game on a new ground.
Not surprised that Barnet are moving, as they have been in dispute with their Council landlords for years. Let's hope this is an easier season for them in their struggle to stay in the League. Can they then carry on as Barnet, being in a different borough or will they eventually become Harrow Harriers or Edgware Eagles!!
Trev1979

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

This is an interesting question as I have recently started collecting first & last at grounds. I tend to buy the last ever game at the old ground then first ever game played on the new ground & follow up with 1st league game, 1st LC & 1st FAC to be played on it.

Maybe clubs class the official opening is when someone with local significance does the honours?

Barnet's last match at Underhill depending on how their league season goes, could turn out to be a collectors item for those of us who do last in the league & last at a ground. Hopefully they'll be safe from relegation trouble and playing league football at the new ground come August 2013.
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

TBH, I stumbled across some of the "official" openings by accident, so thought I'd flag them up here by starting this thread.

I find it strange that clubs' have an "official" opening some time after the first games have been played.

It's also odd that 'run of the mill' league games have been designated as "official" openings rather than a 'derby' match against a local rival being selected or a prestige friendly.

I'm still doing some digging on official openings that fall into this category so once I've compiled another list I'll post it on this thread.

SpeedyKev - I'm convinced there was an "official" opening at Morecambe outside of the 'first' few games.
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Post subject:

Guys - to confirm, there was a designated official opening match at the Globe

http://www.football-programmes.....earch.y=11

It was v Shrewsbury in 2010/11 and states on the cover that it was the official opening.

Get it snapped up like I have !

hope this helps
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: