Football Programmes Centre

Olympics football
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Olympics football

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geohay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 am 
Post subject: Olympics football

As I stated in another thread, my listing doesn't appear when you search for it in ebay, so I have resorted to advertising it to get it seen!

GB's first games at an Olympics for decades!!
I will also be selling the programme from the Uruguay game tmro.

Cheers
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject: Re: Olympics football

Geohay wrote:
GB's first games at an Olympics for decades!!

.....and hopefully the last.
Geohay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:39 pm 
Post subject:

Well Scotland won't be part of GB soon, so it shouldn't bother you too much!
I'm loving the Olympics to be honest, and especially having a football team to cheer on!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

With you on that one TT. I hope those that are interested enjoy the Olympics but I don't think we should have a football team in it. Football should be played under England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Not GB.

Just my thoughts, sorry to those that like watching GB play.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

Geohay wrote:

Well that's immaterial as it may or may not happen.

In the meantime, we should not be playing hard and fast with the independence of our footballing nations over an U23 tournament.

There's good reason why the SFA, FAW and IFA refused to become involved, and I have yet to hear an explanation from the English FA as to why they ignored an agreement reached with the other nations not to select their players.

The Welsh players involved should take a long hard look at their actions, and I know a few Welsh fans who will let them know in no uncertain terms how they feel when they play for Wales in future.

Hopefully Uruguay gub them and we can put this nonsense to bed.
Geohay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

I really can't see how having Scottish / Welsh / N.Irish players in the GB squad would have any effect on the independence of these nations, if anything it would boost their profiles. A few billion people seeing Welsh footballers on an international scene can only be positive. When else would little Dmitiri from from St. Petersburg be able to watch Joe Allen in a major tournament. Next time Wales play he will be able to recognise a handful of their squad, therefore boosting the profile of Welsh football.

How can you say that U23 players could gain anything but a positive experience from performing in front of a home crowd of thousands cheering you on. They can tell their grandchildren, I was an Olympian! Its a very rare and special thing, and to have that on your football CV can only be seen as a good thing.

The Olympic tournament didn't do Messi any harm, and look how seriously Brazil are taking it this year. A squad full of players that will be setting the world alight in the future. And a squad that will probably make up a large part of their 2014 World Cup team. They now have that experience of a major tournament, the fans, the pressure, the team building.

Sorry for the rant Smile
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

Geohay wrote:
I really can't see how having Scottish / Welsh / N.Irish players in the GB squad would have any effect on the independence of these nations, if anything it would boost their profiles.

With respect, you can't have been paying attention then. The SFA, FAW and the IFA have not taken the stance they have just for the sake of it. Supporters groups in all 4 nations are against it including the FSF in both England and Wales. People recognise the dangers of setting a precedence that in future, could put pressure on the individual status of the home nations. You even have twattish Tory MP's calling for it to be permanent.

Quote:
A few billion people seeing Welsh footballers on an international scene can only be positive. When else would little Dmitiri from from St. Petersburg be able to watch Joe Allen in a major tournament. Next time Wales play he will be able to recognise a handful of their squad, therefore boosting the profile of Welsh football.

That's pretty disrespectful to Welsh football to be honest.

Quote:
How can you say that U23 players could gain anything but a positive experience from performing in front of a home crowd of thousands cheering you on. They can tell their grandchildren, I was an Olympian! Its a very rare and special thing, and to have that on your football CV can only be seen as a good thing.

The Olympic tournament didn't do Messi any harm, and look how seriously Brazil are taking it this year. A squad full of players that will be setting the world alight in the future. And a squad that will probably make up a large part of their 2014 World Cup team. They now have that experience of a major tournament, the fans, the pressure, the team building.

All good stuff. A combined GB team should be nowhere near it though, and the idea needs killing stone dead after the sham is over.
Geohay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
With respect, you can't have been paying attention then. The SFA, FAW and the IFA have not taken the stance they have just for the sake of it. Supporters groups in all 4 nations are against it including the FSF in both England and Wales. People recognise the dangers of setting a precedence that in future, could put pressure on the individual status of the home nations. You even have twattish Tory MP's calling for it to be permanent.

I know they have taken a stance, but I really don't agree that it is going to be detrimental. Very few would want it to be permanent, but for this special occasion where we can't compete as singular nations then this a great learning curve. 75k people watching women's GB football - this speaks for itself what people think of it. And i'm sure its going to be packed at the MS tomorrow too, where I will be!
I also agree Tory's are twats, woohoo, we agree on something!

Quote:
That's pretty disrespectful to Welsh football to be honest

I don't think it is. I have lived in Wales for 8 years and have a good knowledge of the national team here. But I don't think half the regular football fans in Scotland or England, never mind the rest of the world are going to able to name a Welsh starting 11, and apart from your Bales and Bellamys, are going to struggle to identify a handful of Welsh national players.
This tournament thrusts the younger players like Allen, Ramsey, and Neil Taylor into the limelight and getting people (like us) talking about them. This wouldn't happen without this tournament or this team.
Every Welsh football fan understands that their national team isn't a power house in world football, and any sort of publicity should only been seen as positive. Maybe the crowds of 10-11 thousand for Welsh internationals could be boosted to the mid 20's if people want to come and see names they have heard of play for their country. The kid's will say - I know Neil Taylor, he won a gold medal for GB, I want to go and watch Wales play this weekend.
Even though i'm English I go to all the Welsh national games and I am always trying to push "True Welshmen" to go and watch the games, but most of them don't give a shite about national football.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

Geohay wrote:
I know they have taken a stance, but I really don't agree that it is going to be detrimental. Very few would want it to be permanent

Very few football fans in this country may want it to become permanent, but then what we think and what the FIFA membership think are two different things. Blatter has made it clear in the past that TeamGB could jeopardise our independent status, there are nations and confederations who are exceptionally jealous of our standing in the world game.

David Will of Brechin City, who was a FIFA Vice-President for 17 years, warned against getting involved. He knew [he is sadly no longer with us] how the internal politics worked.

The English FA know this, but they seem happy to ignore the warnings, the other nations are not.

Quote:
I don't think it is. I have lived in Wales for 8 years and have a good knowledge of the national team here. But I don't think half the regular football fans in Scotland or England, never mind the rest of the world are going to able to name a Welsh starting 11, and apart from your Bales and Bellamys, are going to struggle to identify a handful of Welsh national players.
This tournament thrusts the younger players like Allen, Ramsey, and Neil Taylor into the limelight and getting people (like us) talking about them. This wouldn't happen without this tournament or this team.
Every Welsh football fan understands that their national team isn't a power house in world football, and any sort of publicity should only been seen as positive. Maybe the crowds of 10-11 thousand for Welsh internationals could be boosted to the mid 20's if people want to come and see names they have heard of play for their country. The kid's will say - I know Neil Taylor, he won a gold medal for GB, I want to go and watch Wales play this weekend.
Even though i'm English I go to all the Welsh national games and I am always trying to push "True Welshmen" to go and watch the games, but most of them don't give a shite about national football.

I don't think the Welsh football fans who travel all over Europe supporting their nation give two hoots about whether their players are famous or not. What they do care about is whether they will continue to have a national football team to support. The FAW think likewise.

Too late for these games unfortunately, but hopefully any ridiculous ideas for future games are nipped in the bud.

http://www.noteamgb.com/
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am 
Post subject: programmes

We want cricket in the Olympics!
dj0505

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Geohay wrote:

Well that's immaterial as it may or may not happen.

In the meantime, we should not be playing hard and fast with the independence of our footballing nations over an U23 tournament.

There's good reason why the SFA, FAW and IFA refused to become involved, and I have yet to hear an explanation from the English FA as to why they ignored an agreement reached with the other nations not to select their players.

The Welsh players involved should take a long hard look at their actions, and I know a few Welsh fans who will let them know in no uncertain terms how they feel when they play for Wales in future.

Hopefully Uruguay gub them and we can put this nonsense to bed.

Totally agree.

Its a kids football Tournament, and the risk to our footballing independence is real. Those who ignore that threat are just being selfish IMO.

I for one will continue to give Bellend the stick he deserves, the kids less so they have been ill advised by agents sponsors and so called Senior experienced players !
weymouthPIE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Post subject: Re: programmes

Auchinleckian wrote:
We want cricket in the Olympics!

kwik cricket or Twenty20 in the olympics would be class!

PM with any weymouth wants

please see my wants Smile
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

Great night for medals, and a great night that the fitba is finally put to bed.

Let's make sure it never happens again.
wrinkydinkles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:46 am 
Post subject: Olympic Footie

I'm sorry but the argument for home nations losing their footballing independance lost all credibility when UEFA/FIFA acknowledged teams like San Marino, Faeroe Islands and Andorra.There is simply no case anymore.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 am 
Post subject: Re: Olympic Footie

wrinkydinkles wrote:
I'm sorry but the argument for home nations losing their footballing independance lost all credibility when UEFA/FIFA acknowledged teams like San Marino, Faeroe Islands and Andorra.There is simply no case anymore.

Absolute nonsense, go and educate yourself.
wrinkydinkles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 am 
Post subject: Olympic Footie

lol Tynie..seems you are still living in the 70's.Times have changed and no way would UEFA/FIFA ever have a credible case for forcing a GB team.The old duffers that run the game still have there antiquated opinions but that just goes to show how far they are out of touch with the modern world. Very Happy
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 am 
Post subject: Re: Olympic Footie

wrinkydinkles wrote:
lol Tynie..seems you are still living in the 70's.Times have changed and no way would UEFA/FIFA ever have a credible case for forcing a GB team.The old duffers that run the game still have there antiquated opinions but that just goes to show how far they are out of touch with the modern world. Very Happy

FIFA do not need a credible case. All that it requires is for a majority of FIFA member nations to vote in favour of removing the priviledges enjoyed by the UK nations. That has happened in the past, that a block of nations have asked that a resolution be put before congress, they were headed off at the pass but it can happen again, and they will have precedence behind them if this Team GB nonsense carries on.

The Scottish FA reiterated its opposition to a unified team during a meeting with Blatter on Saturday.

"I said that is the best thing for you to do," said Blatter.

"If you start to put together a combined team for the Olympic Games, the question will automatically come up that there are four different associations so how can they play in one team.

"If this is the case then why the hell do they have four associations and four votes and their own vice-presidency?

"This will put into question all the privileges that the British associations have been given by the Congress in 1946."

So, let this nonsense be put to bed and never mention it again. It is not worth the risk.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm 
Post subject: programmes

....agreed! Nod
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: