Football Programmes Centre

coventry city
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
coventry city

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micky blue eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:51 pm 
Post subject: coventry city

hi guys

need to know about this programme can any 1 help me.
COVENTRY V GILLINGHAM
this game was played on 4th november 1961
f a cup 1st round
plus is worth any thing!!! Smile
holtie96

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject: Mickey

These postings remind me of someone Sherlock Has red turned blue all of a sudden?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 pm 
Post subject: programmes

My thoughts exactly Stephen. Why can't people be arsed to do some legwork themselves instead of coming on here, asking the value of something, and then putting it on ebay? All they need to do is put the thing on ebay on a free listing weekend. The forum's a vehicle for people to help each other out, not take, take, take....
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:26 am 
Post subject:

Yeah come on mate, don't mind trying to help people out, but it gets bloody silly asking what every 1960s programme in your collection is worth. Stick it on ebay and then you'll find what it's worth.
micky blue eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 am 
Post subject: re programme

Guys, im not using this site as a peddle-stall, im very new to this game i dont have your wealth of experiance in dealing with verious programmes, i just asked a simple question, i do look on various websites in fact alot!!!!! but there pricing is so over the top i feel, i just want a straight answer. all i want to know is it worth keeping , is it rare, or not. simple.......
Read It
oldbolt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 am 
Post subject:

The first online dealer I looked at (Brentside Programmes) have one for sale at £4.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:31 am 

But that doesn't mean it's worth £4.....
Posh1959

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

if Brentside has it at £4 its real value is probably about £1
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

I agree to a certain extent with some of the above comments about seeking information on prices for 'ordinary' programmes but isn't this one of the many purposes of the forum?

If we keep shooting down everyone who poses such a question with abrupt and sometimes abusive responses (not implying anything this time), members (particularly young or new ones) will not feel able to post anything.

This will leave the forum only as a medium for the 'old school' to frequent (of which I am one of by the way), the experienced collectors, the I have been collecting for 50 years and know everything brigade and of course the dealers. This could be the beginning of the end if we are unable attract new blood or encourage people to contribute.

And with reference to the comment "The forum's a vehicle for people to help each other out, not take, take, take...." that's why I joined, to help and be helped, but if people don't ask how can we help?
aye aye rhubarb pie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

totally agree bispham,

spot on. Thumbs Up
Posh1959

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

im with bispham on this one if you dont want to reply and advise then dont, newbies are nt the only ones who ask advice some dealers on here ask for advice.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm 

It's not about taking the moral high ground, far from it. Genuine requests from people who are looking to find out the value of their collections / individual programmes have usually been helped on here, by no end of people. The type of programmes this guy's trying to ascertain the value of are not difficult to find, dealer's catalogues, ebay advanced search etc. It's Red Collector all over again as someone has already stated, and he drove people loony!
micky blue eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

Well at least there are some of you out there giving me positive feed back and i thank you very much,ive looked at brentside programmes in which i didnt know existed,but i thought this forum which i was recommended to, was to help out.
By the way whos RED sherlock?
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

Well we all love to help out and that is no problem, BUT you should bare in mind, we tried to think of ways to kill Red in the end. I think it was after the 100th thread " what is my 1966 Manchester v Burnley worth"
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:08 pm 

micky blue eyes wrote:
Well at least there are some of you out there giving me positive feed back and i thank you very much,ive looked at brentside programmes in which i didnt know existed,but i thought this forum which i was recommended to, was to help out.
By the way whos RED sherlock?

If you haven't already done so, look in the "Other websites" section on this forum and you'll find a good number of dealer's catalogues. If not google "football programmes" and you'll find no end of dealers hawking their wares, but I'm sure you must have done this already?

As a rule of thumb, if a dealer's got a programme from the early 1960's on their list at £4, it's never going to sell unless somebody desperately wants it, or for some reason it's rare. Most folk on here understand that, and that's why it's the programmes that vary from the norm that this Forum is really beneficial to collectors, because it taps into a vast reservoir of expertise.

Red Collector or whatever other pseudonym he went under on here drove people barmy with the same kind of questions you're asking now. He's been banned twice - and please don't think I'm advocating anything like that for yourself - but is back again, but by and large seems to get by without winding all and sundry up nowadays. He's happy now.......
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

I'm also fairly new to this site and because I'm not a collector or dealer I have little or no knowledge of the value of most of my progs/books/mags etc(various sports) I have been hoarding since the early sixties. I've looked at loads of dealers sites and got quite excited by some of the values but then I looked on ebay and came back down to earth with a bang! Is the true value somewhere in between? I have sold a few progs on this site, usually for more than the ebay value and have receives good help & advice from several members. I also thought like micky blue eyes,Bispam & rhubarb that this site was for social intercourse and the exchange of knowledge, experience, information etc and am starting to "shy away" from asking directly for values. I may some progs that are worth a few hundred quid, or they may be re-cycle material, how do Ifind out??? I don't want ripping off,nor do I expect to make a fortune, just a fair & realistic price for my stuff.
There is a lot of good banter and humour on this site for old and new members . Long may it be so Bow Bow Bow
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

As a general rule , any league or fa cup game from 1960 onward is pretty much mass produced and shouldn't cost more than £1.
What may be interesting are early league cup games, reserve games and friendly games. Research is recommended for such games. Postponed games could be worth a great amount, findling a rare postponed game would be like a small win on the lottery.
I personally would hate to scare collectors from the forum, but i really think a little common sense is needed. Some on here have collections going into the 1000s. Do we really need someone to ask what every single item is worth.
If i was honest, i am more worried about members picking on other members with amazing collections and turning them away from the forum. Ok big egos , but i'd rather see programmes from these guys than people asking what their 1966 West Ham v Bolton is worth.
I think the forum should be for all ages and levels but just a little common sense please. At the end of the day, a programme is only worth what someone is willing to pay. So what does it matter what people THINK it's worth?
goodison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 am 
Post subject:

I think some of it comes down to expectation, I know when friends of mine who are not collectors ask how much a programme is worth, they struggle to believe me that a programme from the early 60's in very good condition (which is now over 50 years old) is really only worth around £1 or £2 if they get lucky!
banleystowles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:41 pm 
Post subject:

goodison wrote:
I think some of it comes down to expectation, I know when friends of mine who are not collectors ask how much a programme is worth, they struggle to believe me that a programme from the early 60's in very good condition (which is now over 50 years old) is really only worth around £1 or £2 if they get lucky!

That is so true and such a shame, a sign of the economical times imo.
micky blue eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

It does'ant, matter if you you've got one programme or 1000 programmes shorly?
Thats what the forum is about isnt it, to help and be helped,if thats the case then i'll will be shying away from THIS FORUM.
but i wont be, because i do believe there is some great knowledge in the forum. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: