Football Programmes Centre

FLR Help please
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FLR Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boroflag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
Post subject: FLR Help please

I have a copy of "League Football which has Jimmy Greenhoff holding the Watney's Cup for Stoke on the front cover and David Webb for Chelsea on the back cover. Centre spread is Reading 73/4. This would seem to suggest Volume 8, but what issue? Sherlock

Cheers
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

Does this copy also have Crystal Palace featured as a single page team group?

If so I have it down as issue 807, identified by the spot the ball competition dates.

If I recall, from that same season there are no issue numbers for 808, 816 & 822. Again issue numbers could only be identified by the spot the ball competition dates. Does anybody know different or actually have issue numbers on their copies?
Boroflag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

I never thought of checking the Spot The Ball dates. Sherlock

So would 808 be John Kaye on the front and Martin Buchan on the back?

Also, should I mess with your head? I've got two copies of 834 and they've got different back covers! Ralph Coates on one and Park Drive ciggies on the other. Are you now going to begin collecting the "Different cover" versions to go alongside what you already have?
Laughing

Flag.
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

There have been a number of variations in certain volumes over the years with different adverts on the rear of the same issue. I haven't gone down the route of getting both versions!

My records indicate that issue 808 has Sheff Wed as the centre team group. I couldn't tell you who's on the cover without visually checking. Hope this helps. Thumbs Up
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 am 
Post subject:

808 does have John Kaye on the front and Martin Buchan on the back, the number 808 can be found on the inside of the back cover next to Bob McNab's left sock!

I have mentioned before on the forum that I have the original Reviews that belonged to the Editor (early ones Harry Brown and later ones Bob Baldwin, their names appearing in gold block on the front cover of each bound volume), but unfortunatley they don't contain alternative Review cover variations etc. If anyone wishes any further help though please ask and I'll see what I can do.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Post subject:

Isn't the issue number usually printed very small on the back cover?
Boroflag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

As Rocky said, there were a few issues that season that had no number printed on - this was one of them.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

On the subject of volume 8 the following may be of some use?

80A (Millwall centre spread) is bound between issue numbers 818 and 819 and 80B (Boro' centre spread) is bound between issue numbers 832 and 833
bladesmad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: FLR Help please

Boroflag wrote:
I have a copy of "League Football which has Jimmy Greenhoff holding the Watney's Cup for Stoke on the front cover and David Webb for Chelsea on the back cover. Centre spread is Reading 73/4. This would seem to suggest Volume 8, but what issue? Sherlock

Cheers

I cant help much other than ask which programme (fixture & date) it was published in? I wouldn't be able to check but I guess that a date mentioned may help others a better understanding on which edition it may be!
Whojamaflip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject:

I've just checked my ones and i can confirm that the Jimmy Greenhoff / David Webb issue is 807...John Kaye / Martin Buchan is 808 as the inside back page says 808 by Bob McNab's left foot Smile

My wants list

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/football-programme-wants.php?id=525
Boroflag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for all of the answers.

Ruud, I had naively assumed that the A, B, C, & D issues were published at the beginning or end of the seasons. Can you please tell me where they fall, chronologically, in other Volumes too?

Cheers

Flag
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

I'm probably completely wrong but I thought that the A,B,C & D issues may have been produced when a full programme of fixtures fell in midweek rather than on a Saturday. Similarly at Easter or the early rounds of the League Cup when every club was involved and played midweek. Does anybody know?

Sherlock
Boroflag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Ive found something that Rocky doesn't know.

Help would be appreciated from anyone.

Cheers

Flag.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject:

Unfortunately the volume 4, 6 & 7 extras are bound at the front of each book so that will need some detective work, I'll get round to it in the next year or two! That will then mean unpicking them and rebinding so I may just leave it, not quite that OCD yet!

However, in volume 5, 50A is between 501 and 502 and 50B is between 535 and 536.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: