Football Programmes Centre

Time is up folks, selling my Forest collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Time is up folks, selling my Forest collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyorksnffc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 pm 
Post subject: Time is up folks, selling my Forest collection

Hi folks,

I've not been on for a while, in fact I've spent the last few months doing some serious thinking about what to do with my collection.

In these difficult financial times, where the cost of living is increasing all the time, where I've not had a pay-rise for nearly 4 years, and where I've got a 3 year old lad that costs the earth to run, I've decided that the time has come for me to sell my collection.

I assure you, my decision has not been taken lightly, and has nothing to do with the fact that Forest are now the laughing stock of English football, but as well as the financial side, I've lost the heart. This is the first Christmas for many a year that any money I've been given has not gone on buying programmes to fill the gaps.

So, without wanting this to sound like and advert, I wonder if any you could give me some suggestions please on the best way to go about selling?

Basically, I've now got over 2600 individual Forest programmes, dating back to 1945. I'm 4 short of having every single home programme since the 1956/57 season, with many more going back to 1950, and my away programmes had built nicely over the years, with all but 2 away domestic programmes going back to 1993/94, many, many more going back to 1945/46, and also the majoirity of UK away friendlies from the last 40 odd years, all of the major cup finals going back to 1959 (with the exception of the 1980 Toyota Cup), most of the handbooks going back to 1958, quite a few teamsheets from recent years, and some reserves too.

I really do not want to break the collection up, I would much rather it went to one home, but as I've never sold before, I honestly do not know the best way to go about this, any suggestions?

Many thanks

Craig

Forest programme guide: www.nottinghamforestprogrammes.weebly.com (a steady working progress, any help or advice gratefully accepted!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Drvonshineck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:39 pm 
Post subject:

How do you go about valuing a collection like that?
westyorksnffc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

Drvonshineck wrote:
How do you go about valuing a collection like that?

Honestly don't know mate

Forest programme guide: www.nottinghamforestprogrammes.weebly.com (a steady working progress, any help or advice gratefully accepted!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bluenosebrowny85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm 
Post subject:

if you want them to go as 1 lot... auction house would be best that deal with sports items or even try ebay but but some sort of reserve your happy with so they dont go cheap

good luck with it Thumbs Up
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

Craig, I wondered where you had gone after previously been such a prolific poster. It’s a sad tale and a few forum members have been in a similar predicament over the years.

If you need the cash then you have no option to sell, end of story. If you’ve just lost heart then get your collection in the loft and forget about it.

When your three year old son is older and has the inclination to enjoy and understand football (and maybe go to see Forest), then you can revisit your collection for you both to enjoy. Together you could start collecting again. The pleasures of that happening will surely outweigh selling such a prized collection.

Good luck either way.
Thumbs Up
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

Evening Craig,

I can sympathise with your plight, as the father of three mini munsters. You could always sell the little un Laughing

Make an inventory of what you've got and fire it off not to one, but a few of the auction houses, for a comparison.

Remember this would only be a guide, but it will give you an idea of value.

You will probably have a rough idea of a minimun amount you would want for them, no disrespect intended but bare in mind that most collectors over-value their collection, and it can come as abit of a shock, with what they are offered when it comes to selling.

Obviously, selling at auction is an option but it isn't what its always cracked up to be. They take a large commission for the privelidge.

Obviously there's ebay. But, again it would probably have to be collection only for that bulk which again has an impact on price and number of possible buyers. And again there's fees.

I'd start by asking your various Forest supporters club branches,( I know you're secretary up in Yorkshire) if anyone would be interested.

All the best, whether you decide to sell or not.

regards, Sharrowblade
LCFCmatt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

Craig,

I'm not surprised you want to sell your collection after getting stuffed by us foxes!
Your guys were seriously poor but at least you can concentrate on going through the trapdoor into League One now.

Joking aside......
It's a shame that you have to sell your collection. It sounds like a needs must case.
Could you sell part of your collection and keep those items that mean the most to you?
Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best in your decision.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky Boro wrote:
If you need the cash then you have no option to sell, end of story. If you’ve just lost heart then get your collection in the loft and forget about it.

Wise words
Thumbs Up
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:

I would agree with what's written above, if you need the cash then sell but if you've just lost heart keep it and hope your child gets interested in it in the future.

If I was to sell the collection myself (bear in mind I'm not a Forest fan) I would probably sell the more modern programmes - probably 1990 onwards - as complete seasons, and then certainly pre-1970 as single items.

However if you would prefer it to go to one home then you will probably not get as good a price but at the same time it would be much less effort than selling complete seasons and/or single programmes.
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

The problem i see " In these difficult financial times " as you say, will you get the price the collection is worth ? Sadly i think the collection will probably be split up to get the best price, would that would be a terrible shame. I have sold programmes in the past for a quick cash fix, and have spent the rest of my days kicking myself. I would put it in the loft and struggle on , then see how you feel in a year or so.
Blackjack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Craig
Wot a shame, i agree with Rocky Boro though that if its not a financial thing keep them in the loft for your lad when he's older ( why someone would bring their children up supporting Forest though beats me Laughing )

Yea try and keep them buddie or at least the one's that mean the most to you, as there have been a few forum members on here having to restart their collecting for similar reasons.
Whatever you choose good luck mate
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Good luck with selling them. I sold my Cardiff collection before Xmas, but for different reasons. I will probably still try and pick up rare items but buying every single prog there ever was seemed a bit pointless.

Prices are down now compared to a couple of years ago, but who's to say they won't go down further?

Good luck again.

Tony
westyorksnffc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for all of your responses guys, I'll respond to those who've PM'd me as soon as I feel better, got the dreaded man-flu!

Craig

WileBrownAstle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 am 
Post subject:

Good luck with selling it mate.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am 
Post subject:

Depends on what is your driving force...quick sale, collection going to one collector, maximising return ?

For most efficient sale then i would suggest you go to one of the auction houses... They will likely bundle the more modern items together into big batches or by season and then pick out the earlier ones for more individual attention.

If yyou want it to go to one collector then advertise as widely as possible eg in Forest programme, Forest supporters clubs, Programme Monthly etc

If you want to maximise return and you have the time then consider eBay for a few months and listing items at the free 99p listing or waiting for free listing days.

Good luck with it. I think we all have sympathies with how you feel. Every collector goes through that period when they have a substantial collection and then start running out of cash, enthusiasm, time etc to keep on searching for the fewer and fewer items they need to complete their collection.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 am 
Post subject:

Sorry to hear you're selling up Craig, but totally understand. If I was in your position now, I would think about how many Forest collectors are out there, and what they are looking for. I personally think you would find it difficult to sell the whole lot in one go, as most collectors are probably looking for the odd programme to fill gaps. I think if I was doing what you were doing, I would break my collection into chunks and sell them off on ebay, auction houses, and privately. That way, you are selling off the right items in the appropriate market place.

If you do decide to sell up, please let me have a list, with prices. Good luck. Thumbs Up
Fishy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 pm 
Post subject:

Some wise words from all the posters before me.......

Sorry to hear your news as well - as you say 'not a decision made lightly'.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do - lots of ways of batching them up - my twopenny worth 'Forest against a particular team'...........

I would be interested in seeing a list v Millwall if you decide to go down that route.
Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: