Football Programmes Centre

Red Star Belgrade-Manchester United 1958
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Red Star Belgrade-Manchester United 1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:55 am 
Post subject: Red Star Belgrade-Manchester United 1958

I posted an image last Saturday of the programme for the 1968 European Cup Final REPLAY which would have been held at Highbury where only two known copies escaped the incinerator and have had so much response it is still getting attention a week later, so i have selected this Saturday morning to show an item that I can assure anyone is the only one in existence![to my knowledge!]

A postcard which was signed on the day of the game in Belgrade at the Majestic Hotel where the United players were staying and was collected by an Irishman who was a close friend of Danny Blanchflower who was working in the then Yugoslavia who suggested that he contacted "our kid" Jackie Blanchflower who was in the United party and he would sort him out with a ticket for the game. The chap turns up, buys 2 postcards and gets the United team to sign them both, and manages to get on the team bus and they go to the match together. 10 years ago and a further 40 odd years since the game took place this Irish guy contacts Manchester United to sell this postcard, they tell him they are not interested as they have loads of signatures from this period and do not even bother to look at what he has so they suggested i may be interested, hence he gets in touch and tells me he lives in the USA and is in Manchester for a funeral can he pop around NOW and show it to me as he wants to sell it as if he does not he will lose it like he lost the other one years ago-a deal was done and everyone was happy me in particular!. There is a lot more to the story but perhaps that is for another day!

Manchester United Busby Babes sign a postcard in their Hotel in Belgrade before the  game with Red Star 5th February 1958.

Leslie Millman-manchesterunitedman1
www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/
www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets

Always looking to add to my collection whether it is an item for a £1 or for 1000's £!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
CelticViking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:59 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United 1958 Autographs

Fantastic item Leslie
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:53 pm 
Post subject:

Although my 1st passion is football programmes i also collect autographs and that is one cracking signed postcard and very rare item for any Man utd fan ,great story Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: