Football Programmes Centre

is this george best autograph
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
is this george best autograph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincolnredman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 pm 
Post subject: is this george best autograph

i have been going through some man utd programmes and have found an autograph in one which looks like george best's and was just wondering what anyone else thought
the programme was a man utd v coventry city8/5/94
thanks for any help cheers
ashburton-grove

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 am 
Post subject:

I believe it is. There are four downward spikes on his autograph.
Google image George Best Autograph and compare them.
It should sell for about £30.
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 am 
Post subject:

I will check the autograph out tonight when i come home from work it looks okay but Besties autograph is always in debate could you put a clearer image up and i can compare with some genuine Best autographs on the forum i run on ebay.
sy
mark01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:16 am 
Post subject:

Looks good to me.
upthecounty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 am 
Post subject: Autograph

Not knowing anything about autographs, but the First name looks as if it says, Gary, could it be Birtles or Bailey?
Regards Scott
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm 
Post subject:

This a genuine George best autograph gained in person in the 80s.And comparing it to yours i would say your is genuine although a little rushed which often happens if got at games.Nice find Nod
reddevilsineurope

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

I can 100% assure you it is not gary bailey or birtles autograph.
It is very similar to georges and as it was not signed in person nobody can be 100% sure of its authenticity although that could be true of any autograph that is collected or bought from a 3rd party.
Value wise its the usual how many people and how much they want it if you were selling.
Just to add,sadly george was known to sell his autograph during his "bad times" to put it polite and maybe this accounts for the slight difference in his autograph.
All considered i think it is a nice piece for your collection...
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

I have a lovely picture of George in a nightclub in the late 60s with a bevy of nice lookers (plus my Dad loitering with all the girls and George) - a family favourite..
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm 
Post subject: GBEST SIGNATURE

ToffeeDan wrote:
I have a lovely picture of George in a nightclub in the late 60s with a bevy of nice lookers (plus my Dad loitering with all the girls and George) - a family favourite..

WELL I CAN ADD MY TWO PENNETH, I HAVE MAYBE ANYTHING BETWEEN 50-100 SIGNED ITEMS OF THE GENIUS AND I CAN SAY THAT IN EVERYONE OF THEM FROM THE EARLY 1960's TO THE LATER TIMES IN HIS LFE HE NEVER AND I REPEAT HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM ADD ALL THAT FANCY STUFF -HE WROTE HIS NAME AND NOTHING ELSE.
MY OPINION BUT IT IS NOT GENUINE BUT AN ATTEMPT, ITS LIKE SOMEONE HAS CONTINUED TO ADD ON THE LOOPS AT THE TOP.
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE SHOW ME HIS SIGNATURE IDENTICAL TO THE ONE THAT STARTED THE POST OFF-MAYBE MINE ARE ALL FAKES!
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS ONLY NOTICED WHEN I LOOKED UP AFTER I HAD FINISHED AND BASICALLY COULDNT BE ARSED DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm 
Post subject: Re: GBEST SIGNATURE

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
ToffeeDan wrote:

WELL I CAN ADD MY TWO PENNETH, I HAVE MAYBE ANYTHING BETWEEN 50-100 SIGNED ITEMS OF THE GENIUS AND I CAN SAY THAT IN EVERYONE OF THEM FROM THE EARLY 1960's TO THE LATER TIMES IN HIS LFE HE NEVER AND I REPEAT HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM ADD ALL THAT FANCY STUFF -HE WROTE HIS NAME AND NOTHING ELSE.
MY OPINION BUT IT IS NOT GENUINE BUT AN ATTEMPT, ITS LIKE SOMEONE HAS CONTINUED TO ADD ON THE LOOPS AT THE TOP.
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE SHOW ME HIS SIGNATURE IDENTICAL TO THE ONE THAT STARTED THE POST OFF-MAYBE MINE ARE ALL FAKES!
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS ONLY NOTICED WHEN I LOOKED UP AFTER I HAD FINISHED AND BASICALLY COULDNT BE ARSED DOING IT ALL OVER AGAIN! Very Happy

I was a little dubious with all the fancy curls as you can see the one i put up as an inperson autograph but i understand the look like stop start on the lines just put this down a dodgy pen ,it does look genuine to me and i think i have seen one other like this IP i will try and find it .
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 am 
Post subject:

I have his signature somewhere as I met him a long time ago - but that picture I have isn't signed Smile It was in some night club on the edge of the stage, George - my old fella and some other guy (I know) plus about 6 girls in hotter than hot pants Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:23 am 
Post subject: GBEST SIGNATURE

trueblue1967 wrote:
This a genuine George best autograph gained in person in the 80s.And comparing it to yours i would say your is genuine although a little rushed which often happens if got at games.Nice find Nod

101% Genuine Signature, in the early days he signed G Best as the sixties came he became more confident and most of his stuff signed was George Best-just like in this image but NOT in the original posters image as he NEVER fancied it up with swirls-just his name and nothing else, he signed for everyone and never refused-he was a genius and a "lad" for sure but he was a gentleman-always, long let his memory live on for all the pleasure he gave-not long enough with the right team in the right place, Fulham, Hibernian, USA, and another 20 places-still we have good memories of him in a Red shirt! Clap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
RobertD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am 
Post subject:

ToffeeDan wrote:
I have his signature somewhere as I met him a long time ago - but that picture I have isn't signed Smile It was in some night club on the edge of the stage, George - my old fella and some other guy (I know) plus about 6 girls in hotter than hot pants Smile

carefull here, if this photo was taken a long time ago one of girls in the photo could off gone to marry your dad, meaning you have described your mum as hot Very Happy

only joking,
Diamond Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm 
Post subject:

I've seen a number of Best autographs before and would say the OP find is a fake. The majority of his autographs very clearly say 'George' and it just looks a bit iffy to me. Also the loop over the top has 3 small blotches. This seems to indicate a stop in the pen rather than a continuous loop.
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
Post subject:

After showing this to a friend of mine he also says this is a fake because the E is to far apart from the G and also say's he never looped it before and the other one i showed him with the loop claiming to be IP is fake ,he did say that it was a good try at his autograph but spoiled with the loop.
lincolnredman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm 
Post subject: george best autograph

thanks for all your comments about the autograph,some saying it looked ok and some saying not.so i thought the only way to get an answer was to get in contact with the old boy who i got the programmes off,and to be clear i am no better off because he can remember see george at old trafford when he used to go every week and he did get his autograph from time to time and other players but he can't remember for sure this one time.
so maybe if george had had a drink or 2 it could be his!!
but thanks for all your help cheers dave
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm 
Post subject: Re: george best autograph

lincolnredman wrote:
thanks for all your comments about the autograph,some saying it looked ok and some saying not.so i thought the only way to get an answer was to get in contact with the old boy who i got the programmes off,and to be clear i am no better off because he can remember see george at old trafford when he used to go every week and he did get his autograph from time to time and other players but he can't remember for sure this one time.
so maybe if george had had a drink or 2 it could be his!!
but thanks for all your help cheers dave

Let me offfer this advice, there was no one who could play on a football pitch like Georgie Best and keep his feet and there was also no one like Georgie Best who could drink 6 bottles of champagne and enuff spirits to sink 6 battleships and play football for Manchester United and keep on his feet-not to mention him having sex before a game and ending up the man of the match!-but the one consistent thing he ever did sober or otherwise was sign his name the same time and time again! Wherever you are now Georgie look after yourself this time better than the last one!!!hahaah-simply the Best better than all the rest!
Kickoff3pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Sounds to me the it has to be the real thing chap. I can't see many people back in the pre-ebay days faking signatures on football programmes but I do see loads more people waiting outside the grounds for a chance of a signing and I see far more players willing to do those signings.

Only negative is it could be Gary Birtles at a push.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Autograph Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: