Football Programmes Centre

What are your favourite 5 pieces in your collection?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are your favourite 5 pieces in your collection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 pm 
Post subject:

(1) Denmark 1 v England 5, 2/10/55
A Bristol Rovers player, Geoff Bradford, plays (and scores) for England for the first, and only, time, so far Laughing
(2) Bristol Rovers 4 Leeds United 0, 23/9/61
My first game. A good start followed by nearly 50 years of misery.
Laughing
(3) Bristol Rovers 4 Manchester United 0, FA Cup 3rd Round, 7/1/56
Surely our best result ever. Sadly, before my time. Went out in the next round to Doncaster, which is somewhat typical. Crying or Very sad
(4) Bristol Rovers 1 Stockport 1, 31/8/96
Back in Bristol following our exile in Bath Cool
(5) Bristol Rovers 2 Bristol City 2, 15/9/34
My only pre-war programme Thumbs Up
WileBrownAstle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:01 am 
Post subject:

WBA V Wimbledon, my first ever West Brom game

WBA V Forest, from the fifties my oldest progrmame

Cardiff v WBA, singed by Roberto Di Matteo

Manchester United v WBA, first ever game in the Premiership

Colchester v Stoke, last ever game at Layer Road
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

-----------------------------------------------------

pastpirate wrote:
Been meaning to post on this thread for ages but just couldn't decide on the five I would pick. On another day it would be another selection I guess. But today I will go with these five.

1. 5-8-1972. Bristol Rovers v Shefield Wednesday at Eastville, The Watney Cup Final.
My first game and what a way to start. We won the cup on pens.
2. 2-5-1990. Bristol Rovers v Bristol City. Div 3. At Twerton Park.
If Rovers win we are promoted. If City win they are champions. We won and a few days later beat Blackpool away to take the title. Bloody wonderful. 18 days later we were going to Wembley. (See no 3)
------------------------------------------------------
3. 20-5-1990 Bristol Rovers v Tranmere Rovers at Wembley. Mickey Mouse Cup Final.
I never thought I would see Rovers at Wembley. Though we lost is was a great day.
4. 25-5-2007. Bristol Rovers v Shrewsbury Town at Wembley. Div 2 Play Off Final.
City had already gained promotion to the Championship and we had NEVER been 2 divisions behind them. We HAD to win and win we did. Having lost at The Mill Stad a few months before this was another of those great days.
-------------------------------------------------------
5. 13-1-1906 Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol Rovers at Hillsborough F.A.Cup 1 The jewel in my collection due to it's age.
-------------------------------------------------------

No...I'm not having that, concerning No1, our only cup final appearance in the last 75 years and you have to sullen it with the mere mention it was actually the Wendy's. If only it had been, it would have saved us from the embarrassment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4F2ZkpxcAk&feature=related Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

1.Any of my Oxford City programmes from pre war to 1948. They are tiny programmes which open out, just like a map would.
They use to play at the White House Ground, a wonderful ground, sadly like so many places owned by the universtiy, it was destroyed in the name of profit. ( A horrible old folks home now stands there, with only a blue plaque to commerate the home of previous F.A. Amateur Cup Winners. The small size of the programmes, mean many survied in excellent condition.

2. 1930/31. Sunderland v "The" Arsenal, as they used to be called. I find it funny , in the few pre war i have , cartoons that feature Arsenal always have them as "Posh", and the Arsenal player would always have a top hat. This was the Gunner's first championship season. Sunderland up till then had won the title five times. Needless to say , extremely rare.

3. 1938/39. Wolves v Grimsby Town. FA Cup Semi Fianl played at Old Trafford. This was, at the time the largest crowd ever at Manchester United's ground. 76,962 . Not sure if this has been beaten with the new ground capacity. A large programme, not many would have survied the crush of such a massive crowd. Mine has been restored. Some people are against this, but in my opinion, that is crazy, as i have an original in fantastic condition.

4.1974/75. Sunderland v Oxford United. My first ever game. How ironic. I was a ten year old school boy at the time. All those years later, i would
live in Oxford and work for Oxford United collecting tickets at the turnstile. My old mate i worked with in the turnstiles, went to this game with the Oxford supporters club. To think as an impressionable ten year old, i probably gave him and the rest of them , two fingers. Funny old
world.

5. 1973 FA Cup Final. Obivous reasons, but a little sad really. It means nothing of any real importance, has been won since. It really is a sign of
getting old when people still talk of this game. Rather like when i was younger, and people talked about 1937, Raich Carter and Bobby Gurney.
It was an amazing win. But after 37 years ( my God 37 years? ) i wish we could move on.
rob71

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:11 am 
Post subject:

1. Ticket from Metz v Partick Thistle 95/96 Intertoto Cup – my only Thistle away ticket in Europe (not many to collect mind you !)

2. 1971 Scottish League Cup Final prog and ticket – Thistle 4 Celtic 1 (no further explanation required)

3. Thistle v Glentoran 63/64 Fairs Cup – our first European home

4. Kilmarnock v Thistle 69/70 Scottish Cup – bought this as a run-of-the mill issue from a dealer but when I opened it up found about 15 autographs on the team page, including most of the Thistle team (many of which featured in the 71 LC win)

5. Scottish League v Football League 48/49 – currently my oldest programme.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="sharrowblade"]-----------------------------------------------------

pastpirate wrote:
Been meaning to post on this thread for ages but just couldn't decide on the five I would pick. On another day it would be another selection I guess. But today I will go with these five.

1. 5-8-1972. Bristol Rovers v Shefield Wednesday at Eastville, The Watney Cup Final.
My first game and what a way to start. We won the cup on pens.
-----quote]

No...I'm not having that, concerning No1, our only cup final appearance in the last 75 years and you have to sullen it with the mere mention it was actually the Wendy's. If only it had been, it would have saved us from the embarrassment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4F2ZkpxcAk&feature=related Crying or Very sad

God, sorry SB. How did I get it so wrong. I have changed it now.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 am 
Post subject:

opening match at ninnian park thur 1st sept 1910 (very rare)
1925 f.a.cup final tie (official programme)
1925 f.a.cup final tie (souvenir programme)
1927 f.a.cup final tie (souvenir programme)
1968 cardiff vs moscow
1968 cardiff vs hamburg
treble99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:57 am 
Post subject:

the opening match at Ninian Park is in Graham Budds's next auction.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 am 
Post subject:

I just randomly came across my own post when Googling for something else so thought id "bump" it up for the new memebers to have their say Laughing
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 am 
Post subject:

1. Crystal Palace Yearbook 1912/13. Cost me a lot of money, but I still think I got a bargain as I'll never sell it. Mine is is very good condition, and most curiously, on the page that lists the Directors (and their home addresses!), handwritten in pencil are dates with ticks and crosses next to each, so I very much suspect that this copy belonged to either a Director or possibly even the Secretary, and the dates relate to a meeting the person was trying to convene.

2. Crystal Palace v Blackpool programme 1921/22. The oldest programme I own, so old it predates Selhurst Park. This match was played at a ground called "The Nest" situated on what is now a rail depot opposite Selhurst Station. I try to collect anything I can connected with this ground.

3. FA Cup Final Shirt 1990. The shirt I have is numbered 15, and in 1990 there were only 2 substitutes, numbered 12 and 14, so this was the 'blood shirt'. This found its way to me via the former kit man and I've collected the signatures of the team on it over the years since I acquired it. Only got 2 sigs to go - Andy Thorn (now Coventry manager, so I'll get that next season) and Ian Wright, who I'm sure I'll track down at an event soner or later! Then I'll frame it!

4. I guess my FA Cup Final ticket. I have the tickets from every game in the cup run, but this one is THE ticket for me, MY ticket from probably the pinnacle day of any small club supperters life. I queued up from about midnight to get it with my friend and his dad, and when I had it in my hand I knew I had the most precious thing money couldn't buy!

5. Players promotion plaque. When Palace won promotion from the 2nd Division to the 1st Division in 1989 via the 2 legged Play Off Final, there was no trophy or medals awarded. The Final wasnt even at Wembley in those days. But it was he most magical day ever for a 14 year old watching a team win promotion and knowing we'd be playing teams like Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United the next season, teams I'd only ever seen on TV. The Palace Chairman, Ron Noades had commemorative plaques made for all of the players and staff at the club as a 'thank you' and in lieu of the medals that didn't exist. One of the players who played at the time (Neil Redfearn) even mentioned receiving his plaque in his autobiography as he was so appreciative of the gesture by the club. I had been aware of the existence of these for some time, and when I got the opportunity to acquire one, I didn't waste a second in snapping it up! Absolutely priceless to me!

Sorry these weren't all programmes, but I collect all types of football memorbilia. I didn't even get to put in a favourite cigarette card or enamel badge in my top 5!
lambie the leap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

1912/13 Burnley v. Glossop North End - Burnley's 1st ever programme and it is in superb condition.

1963/64 Burnley Reserves v. Newcastle Reserves. A single sheet but my 1st ever game.

1946/47 Bacup Borough v. Burnley. A pre-season friendly so rare that I am confident in saying nobody else has a copy!

1957/58 Spartak Trnava v. Burnley. A post-season friendly and as rare as hen's teeth.

2009/10 AFC Wimbledon v. Workington. FA Trophy game, a great weekend away, Workington won 3-2 with 2 goals in the last 7 minutes, the Wimbledon fans to a man were superb with us, and I had the honour of writing a piece in the programme.
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

83/84 Doncaster V Hartlepool - 1st ever game at Belle Vue

73/74 Doncaster V Liverpool FAC 3rd Replay - Chaced this for ages and eventually paid out £20 quid for it.

02/03 Doncaster V Dagenham & Redbridge Conference Play Off Final - Purely for sentimental reasons, after the club were nearly destroyed by Ken "I like a fire" Richardson, to be taken over by John Ryan and after 5 years of trying returning back to the football league was a special day.

86/87 Doncaster V Port Vale - Simply because i was mascot, won the game 2-1, only downside was that Donny's goals were both scored within the first 6 minutes and I was busy getting changed so missed them both !

07/08 Doncaster V Leeds Utd League 1 Play Off Final - Donny's 1st ever game at Wembley (my lifetime goal achieved) against the mighty (or so they think) Leeds United. Little pub team from South Yorkshire outclassing Leeds. Best footballing day of my life
kcs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

drfc4ever wrote:

07/08 Doncaster V Leeds Utd League 1 Play Off Final - Donny's 1st ever game at Wembley (my lifetime goal achieved) against the mighty (or so they think) Leeds United. Little pub team from South Yorkshire outclassing Leeds. Best footballing day of my life

Pains me to say it, but you boys did totally outplay us that day..... Crying or Very sad

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
CelticFan1888

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:05 pm 
Post subject:

celtic v inter milan 1967 european cup final programme

nantes v celtic , european cup away leg programme 1967

newcastle utd v celtic friendly match programme 1953

manchester utd v celtic cheshire homes friendly match programme 1956

rosenberg v celtic european cup match programme 1972
Denis The King

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

Arsenal v Manchester City 21.9.1935

Manchester City v Blackburn Rovers 6.10.1934

Manchester City v Huddersfield Town 17.11.1934

Manchester City Res v Everton Res 27.1.1934

Bristol City v Corinthians 27.1.1933
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:14 pm 
Post subject:

It`s taken me a while, but here are my 5 favourite items from my collection. An 1899 F A Cup final photograph album commissioned by Sheffield United to a well known photographer called Jasper Redfern to follow United and photograph their 4 semi- final matches against Liverpool, the final against Derby Co at the Crystal Palace, and also the scenes through the streets of Sheffield, there`s also a couple of photo`s of the last ever Sheffield derby at Olive Grove, the album was originally presented to Tom Bott a United director. A letter, on Aston Villa headed note paper, dated 13th Sept 1895, it was written by George Ramsey, and relates to the theft of the F A Cup trophy, offerring a reward of £50, for its safe return, this was later changed to £10, the letter is signed by William Shillcock, from who`s premises the cup was stolen A match card from the 1903 F A Cup final, there`s no publishere`s name on it and the card gives just the basic details, i e team line-ups and venue. The official match programme for the 1910 cup final between Newastle Utd and Barnsley at the Crystal Palace, and lastly a dinner menu celebrating Tottenham hotspur`s win in the 1901 F A Cup Fina, unfortunately their not all programmes. hope this o k
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

sydenham hill wrote:
It`s taken me a while, but here are my 5 favourite items from my collection. An 1899 F A Cup final photograph album commissioned by Sheffield United to a well known photographer called Jasper Redfern to follow United and photograph their 4 semi- final matches against Liverpool, the final against Derby Co at the Crystal Palace, and also the scenes through the streets of Sheffield, there`s also a couple of photo`s of the last ever Sheffield derby at Olive Grove, the album was originally presented to Tom Bott a United director. A letter, on Aston Villa headed note paper, dated 13th Sept 1895, it was written by George Ramsey, and relates to the theft of the F A Cup trophy, offerring a reward of £50, for its safe return, this was later changed to £10, the letter is signed by William Shillcock, from who`s premises the cup was stolen A match card from the 1903 F A Cup final, there`s no publishere`s name on it and the card gives just the basic details, i e team line-ups and venue. The official match programme for the 1910 cup final between Newastle Utd and Barnsley at the Crystal Palace, and lastly a dinner menu celebrating Tottenham hotspur`s win in the 1901 F A Cup Fina, unfortunately their not all programmes. hope this o k

Sounds like you have a fantastic collection. I see your in Cardiff, do you have anything interesting Cardiff related? Ayatollah
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:46 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Craig I used to have a lot of 1927 Cup Final memorabilia i e programme, ticket, autos and songsheet, but sold these to fund the purchase of my 1910 Cup Final about seven years ago, i`ve still got the gramaphone record the one with `abide with me` on it and i also have George West`s player contract for season 1919-1920 or the following season, i`m not sure which one, i also have my great grandfathers season tickets for the 1911-12 season and the 1920-21 season, even though i don`t collect Cardiff City memorabilia i still have a desire, if one came up, to try and get the programme against Aston Villa to open Ninian Park in 1910
drfc4ever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:
drfc4ever wrote:

Pains me to say it, but you boys did totally outplay us that day..... Crying or Very sad

You made up for it last season by spanking us 5-2, that game could have finished 12-4 !!
bigsmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

1.newcastle vs arsenal 10/11 4-4 mu first premier league game will never forget been a newcastle fan eversince. 2.parick thistle vs celtic xi 11/12 my first away match 3.scottish league vs irish league 66/67 my oldest programme. 4.uefa cup final 2003 celtic vs porto. 5.uefa cup final 2007 sevilla vs espanol was outside tryin to get tickets for ever and can remember all the spainsh fans at the bus stop
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: