Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United Programmes with the token blank
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United Programmes with the token blank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> We Need Your Help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Littleover Rams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 am 
Post subject: Manchester United Programmes with the token blank

I have a Manchester United programme from 1966-67 and the small area where the token is normally printed in completely blank. I have seen many where the token has been removed, but I have not seen one like this where the area is blank.

Does this have any significance? Does it affect the value of the programme?

Thanks for you help
goonerboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

I think there are a couple of possible explanations. As the tokens were for cup final tickets, one reason is that it was a game late in the season and tokens were no longer relevant thus not printed anymore. The other one which I know applied in the early 70s is that the programme was a reprinted (by the club) copy rather than the matchday edition. I think that happened in early 70s to satisfy post match demand but those second print runs did not have the numbered token.
treble99

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm 
Post subject:

usually the token was left out when the programmes were given out in the directors box although that said it was normally stamped "compliments of the directors" over the token space.
the other explanation is that the token was a "reward" for attending the match.
at this time you could subscribe to buy a programme to be delivered in the post.they were delivered with the token left out
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm 
Post subject: Manchester blanks

I've got a man utd 'blank' for the Fac v Sheff Wed post Munich. This was obtained from the dressing room by a Wednesday player at the time so I'd imagine this was a regular occurance
treble99

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 pm 
Post subject:

it is safe to say it is not uncommon
trueblue1967

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

I have sold a few with blank tokens mainly from the 60s but have had one or two from the 50s and also 70s i found out the main reason for a complete blank token was it was order via the post prior to or after the game had been played so they are common enough ,and also was told that they were player issue or press issue programmes.
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm 
Post subject: Blank

Absolutely correct
Footyfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

Having just read an article in, There's only One U-Ni-TED Wembley 1976, Vol 7 No 5, on the distribution of Cup Final tickets. I believe the subscription reason is the valid one. It seems that only programmes sold at the ground had tokens otherwise you could have had fans who had a subscription but did not actually attend home games claiming big match tickets. There was a similar question recently on where programmes have a C in the top right hand corner (Crystal place I think) this was to indicate COMPLIMENTARY.

I know, because I have seen a lot, Leeds Utd used to have programmes printed with Norwich City Collectors Club (example) instead of the normal matchday token. These tokens were not accepted when trying to buy tickets.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> We Need Your Help! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: