Football Programmes Centre

Super Super Mick
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Super Super Mick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mancitymark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm 
Post subject: Super Super Mick

Made me chuckle when he said the other day how proud he was but then added "but if they only give us 6 million to spend again, we're f***ed!" Very Happy Very Happy

To me Mick McCarthy is an absolute legend and the reason I’m here and travel the 300 odd mile trip to home games every other week, Used to sit in Orr of him as a kid when visiting my Granddad, when Mick would give me the latest City match programme and usually signed by the whole squad. As a player Mick was as rugged as they come but as hard as nails to go with, City would often look to him rally the troops on days when the team was not performing, Mick would always oblige by kicking the centre forward half way across the pitch, which would then gee up the rest of the side for the job in hand, this happened countless times during City’s 84-85 Promotion season.

Was talking to Mick at a family do not so long ago and the conversation went something like this

Mick: “ Your not still supporting City are you “

Mark: “ Of course but I’ve had a life time of misery because of you so far”

Mick: “ Could have been worse for you “

Mark: “ Why’s that then “

Mick: “ I could have gave you some Barnsley programmes first “

Done a fantastic job with the Irish team IMO and anyone who put Keane in place deserve a medal, Keane missed out on his last chance of playing in the World Cup Finals because he picked on the wrong fella to bully.

Was unlucky with Sunderland in the Premiership as the never had a penny to spend and can see the same with Wolves, now they have won Promotion.

Football needs characters in the Premiership and McCarthy is certainly one of those, I remember after the 1990 World Cup in Italy, on returning Mick bought himself a new dog and named it ‘Toto’ after the Italian striker Salvatore ‘Toto’ Schillaci, who’s goal knocked Ireland out, and also gave Mick a rather large black eye during there meeting, think he said he only wanted the dog so he could enjoy kicking Toto again.

Thanks Mick
rokerprogz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm 
Post subject:

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened at SAFC had McCarthy been given the amount of money to spend that Keane wasted.

He did a good job for us but unfortunately our 15 point season (a record low at the time) was one of the worst times in our recent history.

I still have a lot of time for him and I'm pleased to see him doing well with Wolves.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:11 am 
Post subject:

Saw the Wolves team at Christmas in Blackpool, watching MOTD in the hotel bar - MM and the team - obviously they were/are well together but I got the impression - at close quarters - he isn't the easiest of guys to get on with - but maybe it's cos the Wolves lads are relatively young and he stands out like a sore thumb with a bunch of much younger men.

I think they've got a chance next season - there are plenty of candidates to struggle (8-10 teams?) so you'd have to think 1-2 of the promoted sides can last the pace for a season (or two)
coolascustard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

Iam a bit hit and miss with Mick Mcarthy to be honest.
When he was manager of Millwall we played them in the play-offs the first leg was at the BBG.We won 2-0 seeing it was the last home match of that season like every other club the team came out to do a lap of honor.Mcarthy went mad on the radio claiming Derby were marching round like they had won the cup he made the Millwall players look to gee them up and said Derby would get there just deserts at The new den.
Obviously this wound the Millwall fans up as well as they invaded the pitch 3 times threw punches at our goalie tried to kick our coloured players.
But I have met him since and he came across as a decent bloke.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: